+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsofts Surface Tablet: The Good, The Bad and The Apple

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Microsoft officially announced their Surface tablets yesterday. The tablets are available in two models, the cheaper ARM-based, Surface RT and the Intel i5-based Surface Pro. In true Microsoft fashion as
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsofts Surface Tablet: The Good, The Bad and The Apple

Microsoft officially announced their Surface tablets yesterday. The tablets are available in two models, the cheaper ARM-based, Surface RT and the Intel i5-based Surface Pro. In true Microsoft fashion as of late they got a lot right, a lot wrong, and a lot of things Apple.

The Good

1. Design

This thing looks good. The device is thin with no abrasive lines, or ugly accent colors. It’s simple, looks functional, and has a built-in kickstand. Which, if implemented on the iPad/iPhone, would eliminate a whole category of accessories.

2. Ports, ports, ports and storage

HMDI, Display port, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, these things have all the connectivity you could want in a tablet. Of course that depends on what version you buy (the RT only has USB 2.0). Also, storage varies from 32GB with the smallest Surface RT to 128GB in the largest Surface Pro.

3. The magnetic cover is awesome

The magnetic cover Microsoft debuted with the Microsoft Surface makes Apple’s Smart Cover look really, really stupid. It features a super-thin keyboard and multitouch trackpad. Apple’s Smart Cover is just a cover.

4. Fully functional Windows 8 applications on your tablet

It will potentially run all of your Windows 8 applications with ultrabook like performance depending on what version of The Surface you get. Adobe Creative Suite on your tablet? Check. Office Suite? Check.

5. A tablet to genuinely challenge the iPad:

Android tablets are Android tablets. Outside of the Transformer Prime not much is really exciting, and certainly nothing is in a position to directly challenge the iPad. Microsoft’s entry has the potential to be a legitimate challenger if for no other reason than Microsoft owns over 90% of the personal computing OS market share worldwide. Moving this to a functional tablet interface with Windows 8 and its Metro UI means less headaches for IT professionals.

The Bad

1. The name

It’s called Surface Windows 8 Pro. This is bad. Even if Microsoft didn’t already have a line of multitouch tables called Surface this would be bad. It doesn’t scream tablet, it’s ambiguous, and nearly as bad as Apple’s MacBook Pro With Retina Display (guh).

2. Two different models

Microsoft pulled a Microsoft. Windows comes packaged in infinity flavors, and while they boiled it down to two models for their tablets the Surface RT and Surface Pro the models feature incompatible operating systems. The Surface RT is an ARM-based system with a lower resolution screen and runs a Metro version of Windows 8. The Surface Pro is an Intel i5 based tablet running the full version of Windows 8. Both versions feature different ports as well (Mircro HD vs Mini Display Port, USB 2.0 vs 3.0) and have different displays (full 1080p for the Surface Pro, not so much for the RT). However, their physical builds are nearly identical.

3. No word on price, release, and the app predicament

Microsoft’s presentation featured lots of buzzwords and grand ideas and a great piece of hardware, but no information on availability or price except that The Surface will be priced competitively. This is huge. The Surface RT will presumably be in the $500-$600 range based on its ARM architecture, but the specs of the Surface Pro rivals many $1,000 ultrabooks. Also, with an estimated release date later this fall, and even later for the Pro version, Microsoft gives Google and others a chance to undercut and beat them to market.

4. They wouldn’t let anyone use the awesome multitouch keyboard cover hybrid

This accessory looks awesome, but Microsoft wouldn’t let a soul on hand for the announcement actually touch the damn thing. Reports claim that Microsoft reps claimed they could type faster than 60wpm the first time they used the device. Yea, that’s fantastic, not let me touch it.

5. Buyer confusion, developer frustration

Microsoft’s release timeframe places The Surface RT coming out months before The Surface Pro. This wouldn’t be a huge deal except that both tablets share a surname and run incompatible operating systems. Seriously? Imagine if Apple announced the Retina Display iPad ran a different OS than the iPad 2. Yea this is that kind of stupid. The average consumer won’t know the difference, and will likely be peeved they can’t run the Windows programs they thought they could with the RT version compared to the Pro version. All of this is made worse by the fact both Surface models look nearly identical sans the thicker housing of the Pro model due to beefier internals.

The incompatible models mean developers have two tablets with incompatible operating systems they have to develop for. Does a developer make a Windows 8 application and optimize it for tablet use, or do they build a stand alone Metro tablet app or do they do both? Apple's iOS applications can run across multiple devices without problems. Microsoft's won't be able to run on products that share the same name.

They pulled an Apple. Almost.

Microsoft managed to keep two fantastic pieces of hardware out of the public eye up until its announcement. This is decidedly an Apple technique, but they missed a few integral steps.

1. Announce, and make immediately available.

The argument can be made that Microsoft wants to build hype surrounding Windows 8, and this will help in the months before its release. This is a problem. Microsoft let the rabbit out of the hat, but now the magician wont be paid till months after the show. Competitors know their hand, and can bring products to market with similar features before the likely fall release of Windows 8 and either tablet. Microsoft should have launched both tablets alongside Windows 8.

2. Excitement

Steve Ballmer looked like zombie launching a product. Microsoft announced arguably the most capable tablet other than the iPad, with a truly forward thinking accessory, and the people most excited about it were those watching, not those who built it. Steve Jobs and those who inherited his empire genuinely adore the products they produce, and that excitement is infectious to the Apple masses, and media.

3. Battery Life

Ok, this shouldn’t be a big deal in this new age of functional computing, but things like battery life are essential pieces of information buyers need to know. The ARM based Surface RT will likely get 8-10 hours of life, but the Intel i5 based Surface Pro could get substantially less battery life with comparable tablets on the market now registering 3-5 hour of battery life.

Conclusion

The Surface line of tablets look to be the first genuine threat to Apple’s throne at the top of tablet world. However, Microsoft has directly positioned itself not only against Android tablets, but have positioned them against hardware makers who will license and run their operating system. Microsoft has proven it can design and release great products, but they’ve also proven they can botch product launches, and prove ineffective at marketing their computing devices to the masses.

The lack of information regarding exact specs, release date, and the fact no one was able to use their awesome keyboard cover signals to me they haven’t finalized the hardware yet. Microsoft should have held off announcing their new tablets until Windows 8 launched, and they should have released a single tablet instead of two almost identical devices that run incompatible operating systems.

I hope Microsoft's Surface tablets are successful, Apple needs the competition and consumers need the choice. But, the separation of Microsofts tablets into two incompitable products could create problems especially for developers. Who would want to develop tablet Metro apps if they only work on a device with a more capable older brother?
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 06-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 743 Posts

I like the 'Smart Cover/Keyboard'....and that's about it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I think for the business world this is huge. The iPad is a hit and miss when it comes to conducting business in the field.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Striknine For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (06-19-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I like this just cause it will encourage apple to raise the bar

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love the idea of the cover/keyboard combo as well. But tbh the "PC" world's trackpad is still crap.
    I've yet to use a laptop/ultrabook that has a trackpad with the responsiveness of apple's glass iteration.

MCN
    Thanks

I like a lot more than the smart cover...IT HAS USB! So you could most likely connect an external hard drive or external dvd drive..better yet...a multi usb port and use both at the same time...Plus you can use actual software!! PLUS! I'm sure we won't have to wait for a jailbreak
    Last edited by MCN; 06-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MCN For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (06-19-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I like the 'Smart Cover/Keyboard'....and that's about it!
    Yeah, I'd like to see someone make a Bluetooth one like that for the iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the is the beginning of something that could be great. I love my iPad but a full working version of Windows is what I would love! To run real applications in something just as thin as the iPad. If the Surface makes it to a second generation I could only imagine the possibilities this will have and what Apple will have to compete with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to crouching For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (06-19-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The concepts on this are fantastic!! The kick out stand, the cover/keyboard and all the ports could make this thing have the potential to be truly amazing!! Cannot wait to hear price/release schedules.

-Luke

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Makes Apples "smart" cover look not so smart. It genuinely looks like it will be able to give you the tablet experience and the laptop experience all in one device.

I agree that both models should run the same OS. Maybe developers can build "universal" apps that will run on both ARM based OS and Intel based OS. Devs did it with Mac OS X so why not now?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (06-19-2012)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry anything Microsoft is not for me. Love my iPads!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Which, if implemented on the iPad/iPhone, would eliminate a whole category of accessories.
    And put many small companies out of business in the process?

4. Fully functional Windows 8 applications on your tablet
    As great as this sounds, I find it difficult to use software that's designed for large screens on a screen that's so small; personally I prefer tablet/mobile specific applications. This reason right here is one of the reasons why Tim Cook criticised the idea of having a PC/Tablet hybrid OS.

It’s called Surface Windows 8 Pro. This is bad. Even if Microsoft didn’t already have a line of multitouch tables called Surface this would be bad. It doesn’t scream tablet, it’s ambiguous, and nearly as bad as Apple’s MacBook Pro With Retina Display (guh).
    "iPad" doesn't exactly scream TABLET!! to me... it sounds more of a woman's sanitary product... Ambiguity breeds Curiosity.
    As for Apple's rather blatant product names... I'm not certain but my theory is that it's to help make it more marketable in Asia where a great deal of the culture don't like ambiguity and rather a name to hold a great deal of face-value.

1. Announce, and make immediately available.

The argument can be made that Microsoft wants to build hype surrounding Windows 8, and this will help in the months before its release. This is a problem. Microsoft let the rabbit out of the hat, but now the magician wont be paid till months after the show. Competitors know their hand, and can bring products to market with similar features before the likely fall release of Windows 8 and either tablet. Microsoft should have launched both tablets alongside Windows 8.
    I couldn't agree more! They've made the same mistake by offering the Windows 8 Consumer Preview so much earlier than its full release.

I agree with everything else and I'm glad that Apple are receiving some more adequate competition rather than the poor attempt made by Android. Competition results in lower prices, innovation and choice.

Also, the coloured keyboards are hideous! They would distract my eyes from the screen

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Apples got real competition now
    Last edited by BhadKarma; 06-19-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

I've used netbooks and was horrified on the performance. I know this is not a net book but is a small sized device that runs an OS that is probably to much for it to handle super smooth. Of course I have no base for this only assumption.

Overall this looks very appealing but my iPad also does everything that I would need a tablet to do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Spelling, Spelling, Spelling
    As usual, rookie writing.... "Yea, thatís fantastic, not let me touch it. " I think you meant "Yea, that's fantastic, now let me touch it"

I also believe "Mircro HD" Was meant to be "MicroHD"

But what do I know? I dont write for a technology site

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta4Jah420 View Post
    As usual, rookie writing.... "Yea, thatís fantastic, not let me touch it. " I think you meant "Yea, that's fantastic, now let me touch it"

I also believe "Mircro HD" Was meant to be "MicroHD"

But what do I know? I dont write for a technology site
    Perfect example at a rookie of common decency. Your comment was simply put a "troll" comment. It had nothing to do with the topic.

Who really cares and find better things to do in life than bring up stupid grammar mistakes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I do, obviously. A lot of the news on this site is jacked directly from other news sites (WAY AFTER THE FACT), and the writing staff consists of a bunch of college freshman...it's evident in the writing. Anyways, I came here long ago when you actually needed to read about how to jailbreak a device, but now it is so easy my grandmother can do it without any knowledge of a computer, just need to run an executable and plug your device in. I don't even think the apps which are highlighted here are the best ones...I suspect the developers probably give you free copies to write about them, resulting in favorable reviews. Either way...spell check might work!

Thanks

I do, obviously. A lot of the news on this site is jacked directly from other news sites (WAY AFTER THE FACT), and the writing staff consists of a bunch of college freshman...it's evident in the writing. Anyways, I came here long ago when you actually needed to read about how to jailbreak a device, but now it is so easy my grandmother can do it without any knowledge of a computer, just need to run an executable and plug your device in. I don't even think the apps which are highlighted here are the best ones...I suspect the developers probably give you free copies to write about them, resulting in favorable reviews. Either way...spell check might work!
    Again you prove your ignorance. You say you don't even need to come to this site anymore, yet here you are writing comments.

I fail to see how your reply is relevant to this story in the least. This isn't even a news story about an app/tweak.

Who cares if they were or weren't given free copies? How would this make thing bias? Not everyone is as manipulatable as you seem to be, And are perfectly capable of writing an honest review regardless on how they got it.

I also like how you brag about how easy it is for you to jailbreak. Congrats you know how to press a button.

You may think your gods gift to journalism (as you seem to know enough to criticize people) but you have the logic and maturity of a high school student
    Last edited by subywrex; 06-19-2012 at 01:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

I must say, your grammar isn't of any perfection; in fact, quite "rookie" as you would put it. But of course, I'm not going to stoop to your level and highlight it all, I'd rather allow the rest of the community the pleasure of schadenfreude.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see someone make a Bluetooth one like that for the iPad.
    Logitech's comes pretty close, albeit a tad bit thicker.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast