+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mozilla Bringing A Web Browser to iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mozilla Bringing A Browser to iPad

The lead presenter at this Mozilla presentation implies Apple’s Mobile Safari on the iPad to be a terrible excuse for a Web browser because it looks just like Apple sucked Safari out of a Mac and placed it right onto the iPad screen. He also thinks that Mozilla is capable of offering a browser that takes better advantage of the large iPad canvas – including the retina display.

As it appears, Mozilla has been working on a browser for the iOS platform, but only on the iPad – the browser is demonstrated in the presentation linked to this article. It is a full-screen browser that rethinks the way we look at the Web on our iPads. It gets rid of the redundant tabs and other objects that make us feel like we have to clean up after ourselves when we finish using our browser. According to the staff presenting at the Mozilla presentation, you won't even think about cleaning up after yourself because of the way the browser is designed.

There are also some conveniently placed buttons on the left and right of the iPad where you can expect to have your thumbs as you hold the device. These buttons make it easy to go backward or to move forward through the Internet. These buttons are in a much different location than we would expect in most traditional Web browsers, which are usually at the top of the screen away from the Web content.

Unfortunately, due to the restrictions of the App Store, the browser still won’t perform as fast as Mobile Safari because it can’t implement one of Mozilla’s engines that the desktop version of the browser has. Instead, it will be based upon Web-kit. As we can also probably infer from being made available in the App Store, the new iPad browser won’t be an open source browser capable of having many different add-ons and extensions installed like we can do on the desktop version.

Due to the restrictions in speed, I would consider Mobile Safari to be my only choice for surfing the web on an iOS device. For others, however, there is more to a Web browser than only speed – the design of the browser makes viewing Web page content more intuitive and fun to do. With that in mind, do you think the Firefox browser will fare well against Apple's Mobile Safari?

Sources: The Verge via 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be good

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    With that in mind, do you think the Firefox browser will fare well against Apple's Mobile Safari?
    Not as long as Apple keeps choking Firefox out with their restrictions. Mozilla makes a superior browser and Apple knows it.

Thanks

"Unfortunately, due to the restrictions of the App Store, the browser still won’t perform as fast as Mobile Safari because it can’t implement one of Mozilla’s engines that the desktop version of the browser has. Instead, it will be based upon Web-kit."

I'm sorry but at WWDC did Apple not say they had implemented the fastest JavaScript engine ever?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Mozilla's FireFox is so much better than Safari... I guess it'll be on iPad too.

Thanks

Who still uses Mozilla? I'm waiting for chrome and the ability to change the default browser... I might be waiting a while

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iCab + Browser Changer FTW!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

"And the award for the worst Presentation goes to...!!"

On another note, It's about time that more effort has been putting into developing and enhancing the browsing experience on tablets. Granted this has a few flaws, it is still a start and maybe it will convince Apple to pull something new out of their bag of tricks due to an increase in competition.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Forget the garnish that is the layout of the browser, when will apple fix the unexpected quits/closes in safari? Isn't the speed of safari negated by the time it takes to relaunch safari and reload the page you were on, or even the previous page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    Forget the garnish that is the layout of the browser, when will apple fix the unexpected quits/closes in safari? Isn't the speed of safari negated by the time it takes to relaunch safari and reload the page you were on, or even the previous page.
    I have noticed only a few crashes and unexpected closes of safari on ios6 so can only assume apple is looking to drastically improve mobile safari by the time of the public release...

Thanks

The entire tablet experience is poor, at least with iOS. iOS is great for a phone-sized display, but sucks at tablet-sized.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, I have the fastest browser because I don't allow any other browser to compete fairly with me, and that's something I feel very proud of

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    "And the award for the worst Presentation goes to...!!"

On another note, It's about time that more effort has been putting into developing and enhancing the browsing experience on tablets. Granted this has a few flaws, it is still a start and maybe it will convince Apple to pull something new out of their bag of tricks due to an increase in competition.

ita. The first 3-4 mins of this was actually a little painful to watch with the lack of 'showmanship' (Yes, I was spoiled by S.Jobs) but once I got over the awkwardness of the presenters I really thought they were developing something something interesting here. I hope a Mozilla iPad browser makes the cut for iOS 6. I loathe Safari (to the point it's hidden in a folder called "unused") so won't miss that. Mercury is my browser of choice at the moment but I'd be willing to give Mozilla a chance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Who still uses Mozilla? I'm waiting for chrome and the ability to change the default browser... I might be waiting a while
    Millions. Chrome only has 3% more market share than Firefox and 2% more than IE, so stop trying to make it sound like everyone uses Chrome.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 06-18-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Millions. Chrome only has 3% more market share than Firefox and 2% more than IE, so stop trying to make it sound like everyone uses Chrome.
    I'm one of the million... Firefox is so much faster, tested a couple days ago, more options, I love some of the plugins. I can't feel the same for Chrome.

Thanks

i would love to be able to use a mobile firefox with the same functionality as the desktop (add-ons and all).
    Firefox is best for add-ons and always will be. CUSTOMIZATION. that's what we want. maybe mozilla will release something for the jailbreak community? I can dream....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decoy88 View Post
    i would love to be able to use a mobile firefox with the same functionality as the desktop (add-ons and all).
    Firefox is best for add-ons and always will be. CUSTOMIZATION. that's what we want. maybe mozilla will release something for the jailbreak community? I can dream....
    Can you imagine add-ons on iPad :-)