Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Reveal New iPad Rival on Monday

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Microsoft to Reveal New iPad Rival on Monday

Exactly one week removed from the kickoff of WWDC and Apple's tantalizing tease of iOS 6, Microsoft will capture the tech limelight and reveal the newest slate of tablets that will challenge the iconic iPad in the rapidly growing tablet computer market.

According to sources speaking with All Things D, a "major Microsoft announcement" is coming Monday, June 18th at the software giant's media event in Los Angeles. Members of the press have already been invited and we're told that a significant product/software reveal will occur at that time.

The inside track maintains that Microsoft will roll out the red carpet for new ARM-based tablets running Windows RT. "After months of being secretive about its work to bring Windows 8 to ARM-based tablets, Microsoft is about ready to raise the veil," the trusted digital publication reports.

For now, Microsoft will only confirm the L.A. event itself and not the details of the presentation or any hardware or software to be demonstrated. We will keep our eyes and ears peeled as this story develops and bring you the latest developments as they unfold.

Source: All Things D

Lol that will be a joke!!

Competition is good, lets hope its not too expensive

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Windows in all but I'm not really impressed with Windows 8. I've been using the beta since Developer Preview but there are so many things that were done wrong with Windows 8. To start off, they focused too much on tablets and the Metro UI is about useless on anything else with no touch input (such as desktops and laptops). One thing I think that should be incorporated with it is to be able to choose in between using the Metro start and the classic start. If they fail to put that feature, I could see this fail and be like a 2nd Windows Vista

Funny haha Samsung galaxy s3 details will be released on June 18th the writers will be allowed to talk about there hands on expierience then hahahahaha.

Anyway don't hate on competition that simply makes apple bring up there game

Here it comes everyone, the next rim playbook. I'm sure they'll tout how they have flash and that ipad owners are all dickheads because we don't. Blah blah blah. Can we just throw it on that pile of dell axims over there?

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

MS actually has an opening to exploit in tablets. iOS is great on the small display of a phone but sucky on the larger tablet display: no window tiling, lousy browsers, mediocre multitasking. My iPad 3 is my first and last iPad. I love my iPhone 4 but was completely underwhelmed by how poor the iPad's usefulness is.

Of course MS has a very long record of outright crappy software but they are gradually improving that. Unfortunately they still seem to let engineers design the interface-big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I recommend you bring your panchos. I predict this is gonna be a Gallagher type experience except instead of Gallagher and watermelons it's gonna be Steve Ballmer and sweat.
    Last edited by Darkflame; 06-14-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Im no Apple fanboy, but wasnt the Zune hyped as the ipod killer?

Loved my Zune, but it had zero 3rd party support, so I gave in to ipod.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am very interested in this, and will hold my opinion until I get to play with one.

Hope Microsoft makes a successful product

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    I like Windows in all but I'm not really impressed with Windows 8. I've been using the beta since Developer Preview but there are so many things that were done wrong with Windows 8. To start off, they focused too much on tablets and the Metro UI is about useless on anything else with no touch input (such as desktops and laptops). One thing I think that should be incorporated with it is to be able to choose in between using the Metro start and the classic start. If they fail to put that feature, I could see this fail and be like a 2nd Windows Vista
    Why talk about windows 8 with negativity about it being too touch based when the article is about it being on tablets? That's a big plus for anyone looking for a tablet. Remember this is about tablets (touch touch touch input) :-)

Thanks

I work i IT and rarely use my iPad..my iPhone works just fine and its already in my pocket. Don't get me wrong i do use it, just not all the time. When it comes to Windows, I welcome the competition. Microsoft tries and tries but they haven't beat Apple in some time now. The Zune is a great example and the iPad and iPhone dominance is another. They usually abandon something that is not an instant success..guess we will see if the win, fail or totally give up shortly haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    To be honest even though I have a Galaxy Tab and Ipad 3 I think Android and Ios are the joke on tablets. Im looking forward to windows 8 for tablets. Having windows on a tablet the performs well how can you beat that? be honest with yourself when you answer that. I dont care if it outsells Android or Ios as long as its way better how I think it will be thats good for me and good for the consumer. I love it win there is more competition and less dominance. We the consumer win. We get better products and better prices so I hope windows tablets blow everything out the water then I hope Apple and Google respond right back.

I'm not touching anything Microsoft if they continue using the Metro UI. Windows 7 is great, why screw it up?
    Last edited by Gopher_Otis; 06-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaf View Post
    To be honest even though I have a Galaxy Tab and Ipad 3 I think Android and Ios are the joke on tablets. Im looking forward to windows 8 for tablets. Having windows on a tablet the performs well how can you beat that? be honest with yourself when you answer that. I dont care if it outsells Android or Ios as long as its way better how I think it will be thats good for me and good for the consumer. I love it win there is more competition and less dominance. We the consumer win. We get better products and better prices so I hope windows tablets blow everything out the water then I hope Apple and Google respond right back.
    Better prices on anything other than apple maybe. Apple will always be overpriced because there are fools out there that will pay it...

Only reason I bought the iPhone 4 was because it was priced near other phones due to the contract, but I would never pay the no contract price for one.

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    Better prices on anything other than apple maybe. Apple will always be overpriced because there are fools out there that will pay it...

Only reason I bought the iPhone 4 was because it was priced near other phones due to the contract, but I would never pay the no contract price for one.
    You're ***** ******! Try buying ANY smartphone, unsubsidized, see how much you will end up paying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    You're ***** ******! Try buying ANY smartphone, unsubsidized, see how much you will end up paying.
    What is behind the asterisks?

I wasn't really talking about cell phones in my first sentence. It was more geared towards their laptops, etc.

At the time I bought my iPhone 4 it probably was the best bet for the money, but lately there hasn't been much improvement to justify buying a new model. We shall see what the next iPhone brings...

This is guaranteed fail in the consumer world. The only prayer they might have is in enterprise and they include a robust tablet version of office. Otherwise this is Blackberry Playbook 2. The only good part of this is competition will continue to PUSH Apple to stay ahead.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They can try! Hopefully we'll see some new innovations that'll push the tablet market forward. So far though if it's anything like W8 it may not be that stunning.