+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases New iPad Smart Case (Smarter Than Your Average Smart Cover)

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Apple has just launched a new case for their iPad called the Smart Case. It is similar to the Smart Cover, but it offers more protection because it’s a case
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 760 Posts

Default Apple Releases New iPad Smart Case (Smarter Than Your Average Smart Cover)

Apple has just launched a new case for their iPad called the Smart Case. It is similar to the Smart Cover, but it offers more protection because it’s a case rather than just a screen-protecting magnetic flap. The case includes the screen-protecting flap with the aluminum back-protecting cover and includes all necessary holes for plug jacks and the camera and engravings for buttons.

Apple offers the Smart Case, made out of Polyurethane, from their Web site for $49.00. The Smart Case comes in all of the following colors: blue, dark gray, light gray, green, pink, and red. For added personalization, Apple gives you the option to engrave a personalized message on the back of the case with a laser engraving only if you order the case from Apple's online store.

Just like the Smart Cover, the Smart Case will put the iPad to sleep when you close the flap and wake it up when you open the flap using the magnetic sensors the iPad comes with. It can also be used to make the iPad stand upright for watching movies or having FaceTime calls, or for angling the iPad at a comfortable keyboarding angle.

Offering decent scratch protection for both the screen and the rear of the iPad, this case could be worth the money if you don’t beat the crud out of your iPad and you live a gentle lifestyle. Simply judging the design, it’s not going to be ideal for high-drop or shock protection.

The iPad Smart Case is compatible with the iPad 2 and The new iPad. It will not work with the original iPad. The Smart case is currently in stock and you can purchase it from this link.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i wonder if the cover is separate or attached.. cause i love my leather front...
    Last edited by LittleJob; 06-11-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: oops

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wish the smart cases could also double as a stand for the iPad in portrait orientation

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Already have something like this...
    What it really need is better magnets on the damn cover, I keep hearing my iPad go on and off when I barely touch the cover. The place it connects with iPad needs to be better as well, damn thing come off too easily.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Already have something like this...
    What it really need is better magnets on the damn cover, I keep hearing my iPad go on and off when I barely touch the cover. The place it connects with iPad needs to be better as well, damn thing come off too easily.
    I agree. I barely bump my smart cover and it wakes my iPad up.

Thanks

Wow..Apple is really doing all kinds of things that Jobs didn't like when he was around. Making the iPhone bigger, covering the iPad completely..hope it works out. I guess this is why we only see two colors on their devices as everyone wraps them up in protective cases. Even if you did buy a blue, red, green iPhone or iPad if they offered it..no one would ever see it haha!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

They should have offered this in the first place.... I bought the cover from Apple and then the back from another company. Was glad the other company matched the color perfectly! But was not happy I had to go out hunting to protect both front and back of my iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What's with Apple? They always have these *** pastel colors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I agree. I barely bump my smart cover and it wakes my iPad up.
    You can toggle off Sleep Wake for the smart cover in the Settings App

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    You can toggle off Sleep Wake for the smart cover in the Settings App
    Yes but it's very handy to open your cover and have it woken up for you, it's just very sensitive and it needs to be les sensitive.