+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Kindle Fire is No Longer on Fire

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default The Kindle Fire No Longer on Fire

When Amazon launched the Kindle Fire tablet last year, some industry analysts were quickly calling the compact, affordable multimedia tablet the entity that would finally knock the iPad off of its lofty perch. Not surprisingly, the hype surged as holiday sales put the Kindle Fire on track to become one of the season's most sought-after gifts.

But the hype has undeniably cooled. And now the folks who predicted the Kindle Fire to become "next big thing" in tablets have more than just egg on their faces. They have enough omelets and cholesterol streaming down their cheeks to choke a horse.

Following Monday's report from ABI that shows the iPad now accounts for two in every three global tablet shipments, ChangeWave Research reported Tuesday that the Kindle Fire's popularity is cooling in a big hurry.

But by the time of ChangeWave’s March 2012 survey – with the new Apple iPad launch stealing the momentum – demand for the Kindle Fire tumbled. And the big question since then has been can the Amazon Kindle Fire rebound?
    Two months after the new iPad reached consumers, Amazon is "still floundering at nowhere near the levels reached at the time of its initial launch." According to ChangeWave, 73 percent of people in the market for a new tablet in the coming months will pick the iPad, not the Kindle Fire.

So while no one is saying the Kindle Fire is dead... no one is saying the Kindle Fire is about to kill the iPad either.

Source: ChangeWave

*T*
    Thanks

Great title, great article except for the horse thing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One thing for sure... sell the damn thing in Canada!!!! That would definitely help sells -_-

Thanks

Lol^^
    Yah the fire is cool but it's definitely not an iPad. Combine that with a jailbreak...your good to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Great title, great article except for the horse thing
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So it's not being discontinued...but it's not doing as good as iPad. So what's the point of this article exactly? How is this news?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, My wife and I still use ours and they work just fine for our purposes.They were rooted, installed the stuff I wanted and then unrooted. Won't say it's an Ipad killer as both are different devices. It's just that fire is a lot more easy to handle than ipad and I ended up selling my ipad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidujp View Post
    Well, My wife and I still use ours and they work just fine for our purposes.They were rooted, installed the stuff I wanted and then unrooted. Won't say it's an Ipad killer as both are different devices. It's just that fire is a lot more easy to handle than ipad and I ended up selling my ipad.
    My grandmother still uses a rotary phone with her small town phone company, so what's your point? By next year Amazon will either have to make great strides or it will be discontinued and they will go back to the standard Kindle ereader.

And for those like pinkeye21 who don't think this is news, think again! Amazon is selling the Kindle Fire at a loss in hopes of hooking users into purchasing apps from their Android app store, so if Amazon doesn't start selling more of them soon, there will be no profitable reason to continue their App store. If that is the case, and they discontinue the Kindle Fire and shutdown their App store, I can guarantee those thousands of people sitting at home with their Kindle Fire are going to think it is a news worthy story!
    Last edited by jbardi; 06-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, could have done without the horse chocking in the article. Other than that I thought it was great. Not that we didn't already know that the KF wouldn't out sell the iPad, that's just a given

Green Apple
    Thanks

I cant believe that it's still not available in the UK.
    I dont want one as I'm more than happy with my Ipad 3 (even happier now it's jailbroken ) but I think that Amazon have been draging their heels in getting this released in more countries. They are not helping themselves really.
    I work in a shop that sells tec and almost nobody asks about the Fire. We cant get enough Ipads though.

Long live the Ipad.

Jolly

Thanks

I'm kinda curious why so many people like it when other company's fail to bring out product that competes with apple products

Anyways Kindle Fire is a cool tablet if I didn't have my iPad 2 that would probably be my option and you can't beat the price

Thanks

Couldn't agree more ^

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Got both...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    My grandmother still uses a rotary phone with her small town phone company, so what's your point? By next year Amazon will either have to make great strides or it will be discontinued and they will go back to the standard Kindle ereader.

And for those like pinkeye21 who don't think this is news, think again! Amazon is selling the Kindle Fire at a loss in hopes of hooking users into purchasing apps from their Android app store, so if Amazon doesn't start selling more of them soon, there will be no profitable reason to continue their App store. If that is the case, and they discontinue the Kindle Fire and shutdown their App store, I can guarantee those thousands of people sitting at home with their Kindle Fire are going to think it is a news worthy story!
    Got the iPad2 & Kindle Fire...the iPad is much more bulkier (more like a rotary) than
    the Fire. I use the iPad almost exclusively at home and the Fire more and more when
    out and about since it is so light & compact. While the iPad has the "cool" factor,
    it really does not give me much of anything the Fire cannot provide.

However - once the iPad mini comes out...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The funny thing is that if you check out linux advocacy type hang outs they are claiming exactly the opposite. The fact is simply that the iPad had far and away the best user experience. Anything android based comes in a poor second for most users.

Thanks

My boy flashed his with ICS and loves it. We are in a hack community and nothing here is great out of the box haha! We all manipulate our devices to suit us. I've had all iPhones and iPads and use Macs and all of that daily..If i wasn't able to make my own changes on all platforms I would probably go to the OS/Device that allows me to do so. iPad is the clear choice as it embodies everything the FIre offers and much more. Bigger screen, better apps, business integration and a slew of others..happy shopping

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

People are finally finding out the Fire is not an iPad. Not by a long shot. The Fire is more like a e-reader with some table functions. Sort of like phones with a built in camera. It can take pictures but it just can't beat the real thing. Heck, the Fire don't even support VPN! That tells you right there that it doesn't want anything to do with business related functions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    So it's not being discontinued...but it's not doing as good as iPad. So what's the point of this article exactly? How is this news?
    Because it's interesting to know about. Celebrity lives are pointless for the general population to know about, people still go read about it for entertainment and curiosity.

Anyway, back on topic: I tried the Kindle Fire since I have an iPhone and didn't think I wanted a larger version (the iPad), ended up not liking it and returned it. Saving up for an iPad.

Thanks

Smart move Annie^^

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple releases a $300 tablet the entire market will be CRUSHED.

Thanks

Agree
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide