+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Five Great Jailbreak Tweaks for the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Have you just jailbroken your iPad on iOS 5.1.1 using the newest version of Absinthe ? If not, check out our guide on how to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Absinthe
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,685
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 969 Times in 711 Posts

    Default Five Great Jailbreak Tweaks for the iPad


    Have you just jailbroken your iPad on iOS 5.1.1 using the newest version of Absinthe? If not, check out our guide on how to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Absinthe 2.0.1!

    Figuring out what you want to download in an application store of infinite possibilities after your first time jailbreaking can be difficult. Luckily, ModMyi has your back! Refresh all of your Cydia sources, because here are five great tweaks to get you started with your newly jailbroken iPad running iOS 5.1.1.

    1. Quasar

    Quasar (by Pedro Franceschi) is the first successful tweak to bring true window management to the iPad. Window management allows you to multitask without a need for the App Switcher as it’s like running applications the same way you do on your Mac OS X or Windows personal computer. In this sense, it makes the iPad a more versatile machine by allowing you to run several applications side by side. This is true multitasking! Quasar allows you to run even iPhone applications in their true size right beside the iPad applications. You can enter full screen via a full screen button at the bottom of each application window. You can find Quasar on the BigBoss repository for $9.99.



    2. ProTube HD

    ProTube HD (by Jonas Gessner) brings a great YouTube client to the iPad. While many have agreed for ages that iOS’ stock YouTube application is a completely limited and nearly useless YouTube client, Apple still has not tried to make it better. Instead, YouTube made their own mobile application that users could add by bookmarking the site to their home screen. Taking YouTube's own interface even further, ProTube HD adds features to the mobile application such as video downloading, video streaming, ad blockers, AirPlay support, and more. ProTube HD can be found on the BigBoss repository for just $1.49.



    3. FullScreen for iPad

    FullScreen for iPad (by Yllier) gives the iPad full-screen Mobile Safari browsing. The iPad has a massive screen that should be taken advantage of. Unlike Mac OS X Lion, which has a full-featured full screen Safari Web browser with multi-touch gestures, the iPad is still limited to the boxed-in interface without any multi-touch gestures. FullScreen for Safari breaks this limitation by not only adding full-screen support, but also adding multi-touch gestures that can be used to navigate the internet the same way you do in Mac OS X Lion’s version of Safari. You can find FullScreen for Safari in the BigBoss repository for $2.19.



    4. Dashboard X

    Dashboard X (by Ori Kadosh) brings all of your widgets out of Notification Center and onto your home screen so that you can dedicate your Notification Center to notifications as it was intended to be. Dashboard X includes a separate interface that can be invoked by Activator to show your widgets if you don’t want them cluttering your home screen. The widgets include those of Notification Center and also some other widgets that are designed just for Dashboard X. The widgets can be enabled or disabled at any time and placed on any home screen page that you might want them on. They sit right next to your application icons and with the iPad's large screen, you will find a home for all of your widgets easily! You can find Dashboard X on the ModMyi repository for $1.99.



    5. SwipeSelection

    SwipeSelection (by Kyle Howells) brings a better sense of text-editing to the iPad. It was never fun having to hold down and drag across such a large iPad screen, so it was time to make text-editing less cumbersome by adding keyboard swipe gestures. SwipeSelection includes slow cursor placement gestures, fast cursor placement gestures, and text-selection gestures so you can select large bodies of text as accurately or as quickly as you want to. SwipeSelection will move the cursor around either when you are dragging across the keyboard with one finger or with two fingers. Additionally, you can select text by holding down on the shift key and dragging across the keyboard. These keyboard gestures are much better than reaching across the screen to select bodies of text. You can find SwipeSelecton on the BigBoss repository for free.

    There are also many other good tweaks out there, however these five have been selected because of popularity, practicality, functionality, or cosmetic gorgeousness. If you want to learn about even more awesome jailbreak tweaks or even App Store applications, then check out our Staff favorites post! Additionally, if you have an iPhone, take a look at our list of ten great tweaks for the iPhone.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Utah :\
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    At the end of the second paragraph you say ten tweaks. When there are only five.

  3. #3
    Theme Creator Jahooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,897
    Thanks
    1,419
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

    Woo, swipe selection works great. It does, however, kill your ability to press the special character button, swipe to a number (or character) and release back to the main keyboard. So, if you need special characters then you need to tap three times to input it, which is annoying.

    It should automatically disable while a button is being held down. Then it would be perfect.

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Swipe selection is awesome.

    Quasar was/is highly disappointing to me. It's to buggy. At least on my iPad 2.

  5. #5
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Woo, swipe selection works great. It does, however, kill your ability to press the special character button, swipe to a number (or character) and release back to the main keyboard. So, if you need special characters then you need to tap three times to input it, which is annoying.

    It should automatically disable while a button is being held down. Then it would be perfect.
    I agree!

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    The top 5 jailbreak tweaks totals over $15.. I must say I do miss the old days before the devs got so greedy. Quasar is ridiculous.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    $2.19 for full-screen Safari? Greedy Greedy...

  8. #8
    Green Apple rocketApe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Swipe Safari is so much better than Full Screen For iPad: it includes the full-screen for iPad features, but adds some awesome gesture features.

    And, yes, $10 is steep for any app. Thing is, Quasar works like a dream on my iPad 3. The increased functionality is far from a novelty and must be considered a serious extension to the iPad's UI. And, I don't wanna even think about the time and effort it took to develop this. My $10 bucks is a small "thank you" for making my iPad waaaaaay more useful.

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    You're totally missing one of the best. AirServer. Turn the iPad into an AirPlay receiver. I cram my 64gb iPhone with videos and watch them on my iPad anywhere.

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    At the end of the second paragraph you say ten tweaks. When there are only five.
    Says 10 for the iPhone.

  11. #11
    Green Apple jtmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts

    Quasar is a great concept but it's too buggy to use it.. Just had to disable it.... (don't buy it until it gets better).
    Last edited by jtmf; 05-30-2012 at 05:19 AM.

  12. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The developer of Protube HD need to fix the bugs and crashes problem of the current version.

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    Says 10 for the iPhone.
    It said 10 in this one too...until it got fixed
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  14. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by curly420 View Post
    You're totally missing one of the best. AirServer. Turn the iPad into an AirPlay receiver. I cram my 64gb iPhone with videos and watch them on my iPad anywhere.
    I have air server. It's ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtmf View Post
    Quasar is a great concept but it's too buggy to use it.. Just had to disable it.... (don't buy it until it gets better).
    Agreed. I would actually really like my 10 bucks back!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A New DAY View Post
    $2.19 for full-screen Safari? Greedy Greedy...
    I love when people complain about $2 apps/tweaks. LMFAO, cheap asses. If $2 is to much a flip phone might be more your speed...... I take it you guys complaining $2 apps/tweaks is to much work for free? You seem to expect the devs to work for free. Generation O had at it again

  16. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    I love when people complain about $2 apps/tweaks. LMFAO, cheap asses. If $2 is to much a flip phone might be more your speed...... I take it you guys complaining $2 apps/tweaks is to much work for free? You seem to expect the devs to work for free. Generation O had at it again
    I think the guy was making a joke as the last topic about "Top Apps" turned into a big argument over pricing.
    Last edited by mustard05; 05-30-2012 at 07:16 AM.

  17. #17
    iPhoneaholic scroogelives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketApe View Post
    Swipe Safari is so much better than Full Screen For iPad: it includes the full-screen for iPad features, but adds some awesome gesture features.

    And, yes, $10 is steep for any app. Thing is, Quasar works like a dream on my iPad 3. The increased functionality is far from a novelty and must be considered a serious extension to the iPad's UI. And, I don't wanna even think about the time and effort it took to develop this. My $10 bucks is a small "thank you" for making my iPad waaaaaay more useful.
    10 is not a lot but at least a limited time trial would be a idea! As I don't mind spending money along as the item is worth the quality!

  18. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketApe View Post
    Swipe Safari is so much better than Full Screen For iPad: it includes the full-screen for iPad features, but adds some awesome gesture features.
    not it's not. have you come across a site that has a portion of the page that needs to be swiped left or right to read? when you do and you swipe left, the browser goes back a page. in the settings, you can not change this gesture. Full Screen for iPad wins.

  19. #19
    Green Apple jtmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    not it's not. have you come across a site that has a portion of the page that needs to be swiped left or right to read? when you do and you swipe left, the browser goes back a page. in the settings, you can not change this gesture. Full Screen for iPad wins.

    Anyway in my humble opinion, Swipe Safari is better for me (too).

  20. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    10 is not a lot but at least a limited time trial would be a idea! As I don't mind spending money along as the item is worth the quality!
    It's 10 not $10 xD
    $10 is about 6-7 lol
    If I helped don't fear to press the Thanks button (:
    Follow me on twitter! @ViperzDTL

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts