+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Mini LCD Panel Certifications Rumored to Have Passed for LG and AU Optronics

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The Taiwan-based publication Liberty Times recently shared some interesting information about the rumored 7.85-inch “iPad Mini.” The publication reported that LG and AU Optronics were certified to supply the LCD
    Thanks

Default iPad Mini LCD Panel Certifications Rumored to Have Passed for LG and AU Optronics

The Taiwan-based publication Liberty Times recently shared some interesting information about the rumored 7.85-inch “iPad Mini.” The publication reported that LG and AU Optronics were certified to supply the LCD panel for the iPad Mini. It even goes on to claim that both manufacturers were working to ship the panels for production and for a release sometime during the latter half of 2012.

Rumors of a smaller sized iPad have been met with skepticism by many, especially in light of comments made by the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs on an earnings conference call in 2010. At the time, Jobs said that the size of smaller form-factor tablets wasn’t “sufficient to create great tablet apps.” According to Daring Fireball’s John Gruber, a 7.85-inch display with the 1,024x768 resolution would be “usable.” Gruber performed an informal test by taking screenshots of an iPad and then viewing them in landscape mode. According to him, “there are a couple of areas where he thinks the text is maybe a little too small, but it’s not ridiculously small.”

Rumors and speculation of the iPad Mini have really ramped up the over the last few months because Apple is said to take on Amazon and other competitors with a smaller 7.85-inch offering priced cheaper for customers looking to enter the tablet market. Many have been skeptical of such a product due to arguments against it which came from the late Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs. According to him, you’d need super-small fingers to navigate smaller tablets.

Despite what everyone says, a 7.85-inch iPad doesn’t seem like it is likely to happen this year, especially with news on part suppliers. We’ll have to wait and see though to see what Apple has in store for everyone.

Source: Liberty Times (via Google Translate)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 05-17-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

I WANT ONE SO MUCH!!

And how is 7.85 inches "too small to read" when the iPhone only has 3.5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harryafc View Post
    I WANT ONE SO MUCH!!

And how is 7.85 inches "too small to read" when the iPhone only has 3.5?
    Good point but I won't get one the size now is perfect (for me anyway)

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Surely apple would be better to sell current iPad 2's but with cheaper specs! Plastic back instead of metal no camera on the front or back! Just my own personal feelings lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's fine and dandy but what would the use for an "iPad" mini be? Who's the target consumer? Just thinking they pretty much have everybody already haha.

$$$$$ I suppose :P

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Surely apple would be better to sell current iPad 2's but with cheaper specs! Plastic back instead of metal no camera on the front or back! Just my own personal feelings lol
    Great point! However, Apple wants to stay in the "high-end" market. Part of their strategy is to market their products towards people with money, thus creating a cultural demand (after all, most poor people want to live the 'rich' lifestyle).

Anyway, the more I think about a 7.8" screen, the less appealing it becomes. Mainly because it's not that drastic of a reduction in size. It's only 2 inches diagonal, and let's not forget there's still a bevel around the screen, so the device is still going to be too large for a pocket. A 5" screen (6" with bevel) would be far more versatile.