+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Thinks Radios Will Soon Be Native Feature of All Future Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The tablet landscape could very well shift dramatically in the coming years. That's according to an AT&T executive who says in a new interview that the standard offerings of standard
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default AT&T Thinks Radios Will Soon Be Native Feature of All Future Tablets

The tablet landscape could very well shift dramatically in the coming years. That's according to an AT&T executive who says in a new interview that the standard offerings of standard tablet products may soon serve up that which we presently have the option to buy or skip.

With the prices of cellular radios falling each year, AT&T thinks that any and all contemporary tablets will one day include such an attribute without causing shoppers to pay more for the corresponding hardware to lend such an option in the first place.

That's the opinion of Glenn Lurie, president of emerging devices at AT&T, who says "all devices should have all capabilities built in from the beginning." For the time being, only half (approximately) of all iPads sold have the radio. In other words, the cheaper Wi-Fi only model is a major selling point to consumers.

Lurie does note, however, that until 4G LTE radios fall like their 3G-ready HSPA+ radio counterparts, this new standard in tablets won't become reality. But it's a day that's fast approaching, he believes.

Source: Macworld

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Lurie does note, however, that until 4G LTE radios fall like their 3G-ready HSPA+ radio counterparts, this new standard in tablets won't become reality. But it's a day that's fast approaching, he believes.
    He should also note that until 4G data plans get cheaper and/or have greater data limits that it won't matter if the tablets have the radio or not. I'm beginning to get throttled at 3GB on my "Unlimited" data plan which pisses me off. If it was 5GB that wouldn't be so bad but this crap sucks. At least I stopped getting emails about tethering..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    He should also note that until 4G data plans get cheaper and/or have greater data limits that it won't matter if the tablets have the radio or not.
    That's a very good point. Owners of LTE-radio equipped 3rd gen iPads can blow through their data cap in an hour or two.
    Consider a few years ago when your cellphone would spend an hour downloading a tiny email over GPRS. Now, you can (theoretically, at least) download several Gb in an hour, but that cell tower is still only tied up communicating for the same amount of physical time, so why aren't data prices falling? You would think that the telcos could afford to raise data caps with LTE, no? Perhaps some AT&T or Verizon shareholder can point out the flaw in my logic here? ;-)

I'm beginning to get throttled at 3GB on my "Unlimited" data plan which pisses me off. If it was 5GB that wouldn't be so bad but this crap sucks. At least I stopped getting emails about tethering..
    Maybe AT&T just stopped chasing that particular wild goose now that "unlimited" actually isn't. Is anybody else still getting tethering warnings from AT&T?

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell ya ! I am excited !

Thanks

I agree with the comments above. Lets be realistic here. We all want and need data access these days. No one want to call and talk if they don't have to, as it takes more effort and formalities. I told my friends two years ago, data would eventually cost more than voice. With an iPad, we don't make native calls with it, although there are apps that enable such. The data plans will continue to go up as demand goes up. Why would a company want to "reduce or give" away any service that they provide? Remember when text messages were free, until teenagers realized they could communicate for free with text rather than making a call. Now we ALL pay..haha!

My point is radios are far off as an offering. It makes no $$ unless you have commercials. I'd much rather use Pandora, Spotify or stream my own music from the cloud. That's me..i can't speak for everyone. With a hacked iPhone, you can own streamed content anyway...win win

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

YAY, then they can deny services paid for by the customer to even MORE people. What a great opportunity for them.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

In other words:
    "We are working with the makers of 4G radios to lower the price, so that they can be installed on all devices and give us the opportunity to milk even more money out of people by offering data plans that are completely unrealistic."