+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad 2s With Upgraded A5 Processor See Substantial Boost In Battery Life

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
*Courtesy of AnandTech* Earlier this year MMi reader Brian3dee commented that the iPad 2s with an improved 32nm A5 processor would run cooler and have “slightly better battery life.” You
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New iPad 2s With Upgraded A5 Processor See a Substantial Boost In Battery Life

*Courtesy of AnandTech*

Earlier this year MMi reader Brian3dee commented that the iPad 2s with an improved 32nm A5 processor would run cooler and have “slightly better battery life.”

You good sir have the honor of “calling it.”

AndandTech put the slightly upgraded $399 iPad 2s through the battery test gamut and found the unit to be superior to the original iPad 2 and the new iPad in every aspect. The upgraded iPad 2 saw an 15% increase in battery life over the original iPad 2 in the web browsing battery life test lasting 11.7 hours. The original iPad 2 lasted 10.1 hours and the new iPad only lasted 9.28 hours.

*Courtesy of AnandTech*
    The lower idle power leakage and improved active power consumption becomes even more apparent when taxing the upgraded iPad 2 compared to other models. Running infinity blade until the battery died at normalized brightness took 5.58 hours on the new iPad, and 6.12 hour on the original iPad 2. The upgraded iPad 2 blew past both lasting 7.9 hours which is a 29% increase in battery life over the original iPad 2.

*Courtesy of AnandTech*
    The upgraded iPad 2 saw an 18% increase in battery life over the original iPad 2 during video playback lasting an unbelievable 15.7 hours compared to the iPad 2s still very respectable 13.3 hours. The new iPad lags behind lasting only 11.15 hours for obvious reasons (retina display and A5X processor).

While the difference in battery life between the new iPad and the upgraded iPad 2 is to be expected, the incredible difference between the original iPad 2 could leave to a definite case of buyer’s remorse. I suggest those looking to purchase an iPad 2 make sure it contains the upgraded A5 processor as there are still a considerable amount of older models in circulation.

Source: AnandTech

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

From the title, I thought there was another new iPad as I thought I read iPad 2S, not 2s

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    From the title, I thought there was another new iPad as I thought I read iPad 2S, not 2s
    LMAO

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm confused on the naming of the devices. Apple, you suck. Just call it the iPad 3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Same

Thanks

Okay- so how do you know which processor any given iPad 2 has?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Okay- so how do you know which processor any given iPad 2 has?
    Good question, is there anyway to tell just by looking at it or even turning it on?

Carlos R
    Computer-fixed
    Everything Tech

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonknight9 View Post
    Good question, is there anyway to tell just by looking at it or even turning it on?

Carlos R
    Computer-fixed
    Everything Tech

Nope short of taking it home and hooking it up a computer to see.... I'd say wait a while if you're considering it. That way all the old models will be taken and the new updated ones will be the standard ones shipped!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Shame, thanks for answering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Nope short of taking it home and hooking it up a computer to see....
    I have a month-old iPad 2. So if I connect it to my Mac, where would the processor type be displayed?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple will most likely get rid of all old devices in circulation so it may possibly depend on how soon people buy the upgraded version of iPad 2
    If I helped don't fear to press the Thanks button (:
    Follow me on twitter! @ViperzDTL

Thanks

The bigger question is if I have to use my AppleCare support to replace my iPad 2 will I get an older processor or a newer one as the new replacement?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Of course an Ipad 2 with an upgraded processor is going to run faster than the iPad 3. The iPad 2 doesn't have to account for the Retina Display so obviously the battery life will be much better.

Thanks

I have read the thing but is there really no way to tell what the processor is inside the ipad2?
    I bought a refurb from apple about a month ago, just curious is all.

Thanks

Linpack benchmark a free iPad app that can be downloaded to determine if your iPad is the newer version or not. From what I read, if it reads as a 2,4 it is the new processor and if it reads as 2,1 you have the originally designed iPad 2 processor. Hope this information helps others.

Thanks
    how can we know which is with new processor and which is with A4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanortiz View Post
    Linpack benchmark a free iPad app that can be downloaded to determine if your iPad is the newer version or not. From what I read, if it reads as a 2,4 it is the new processor and if it reads as 2,1 you have the originally designed iPad 2 processor.
    Hmmm...well Linpack says my iPad 2 is version 2,2. i.e. neither of the above. Doh!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

D-ling Linpack benchmark see what my Ipad 2 replacement is gonna be a while as I am syncing my music all 25gig.. lets hope if it is A5 it will not be a problem with new jailbreak or downgrade..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Contract_Pilot View Post
    D-ling Linpack benchmark see what my Ipad 2 replacement is gonna be a while as I am syncing my music all 25gig.. lets hope if it is A5 it will not be a problem with new jailbreak or downgrade..
    What are you lot talking about? Every iPad 2, old or new has an A5 processor. The A4 is only on the original iPad.