+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Target Bucking Amazon Kindle Devices to Concentrate on iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Retail juggernaut Target is taking a step back from its relationship with Amazon with regard to the online retailer's leading tablets and eReader products. According to a leaked internal company
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Target Bucking Amazon Kindle Devices to Concentrate on iPads

Retail juggernaut Target is taking a step back from its relationship with Amazon with regard to the online retailer's leading tablets and eReader products.

According to a leaked internal company memo, Target will no longer carry Amazon's Kindle devices. And, in case you were wondering, that includes what some consider to be the iPad's biggest competitor today - the Amazon Kindle Fire.

After the leak, Target was forced to concede the plan once approached for comment by Reuters.

"Target is phasing out Amazon- and Kindle-branded products in the spring of 2012," Target rep. Molly Snyder responded. "We will continue to offer our guests a full assortment of e-readers and supporting accessories."

The biggest focal point for Target in this product category now? You guessed it: the Apple iPad.

A number of industry analysts who have weighed in on the development believe that Target now clearly sees Amazon as an enemy in retail, not a viable long-term partner.

Source: Reuters

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I had the Kindle Fire for two weeks, but then I returned it. I thought since I had an iPhone I would try a tablet that's more affordable and I didn't *need* the iPad bc I already have the iOS experience. The Kindle Fire doesn't compare to the iPad, I thought it would be fair competition so I bought it but that isn't true. It slowed down in a span of days, it crashed on me often, and my mom got an iPad soon after my Fire purchase and I found myself using her iPad more than my Kindle Fire. Even though I have an iPhone and I'm already so used to iOS, I don't ever get bored of iOS. So now I'm saving up for my own iPad...I think Target has the right idea here. Cheaper/more affordable isn't always better. I'm also considering the Galaxy tab though, that IMO is better competition to the iPad than the Kindle Fire.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For e reading nothing beats a kindle. People prefer tablets now because they are multipurpose. I get a eye strain from reading on the iPad after 2 hours.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wonder if this means that the Kindles will be on clearance at Target soon?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought my wife a Kindle Fire, she uses it all the time, it's a great little tablet for the small price of $200! I'm a big iPad fan so that's what I'll end up getting, but both have their pluses. I don't see why Target can't carry both of them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    For e reading nothing beats a kindle. People prefer tablets now because they are multipurpose. I get a eye strain from reading on the iPad after 2 hours.
    What amazes me that some of those e-readers look like your reading on actual paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I bought my wife a Kindle Fire, she uses it all the time, it's a great little tablet for the small price of $200! I'm a big iPad fan so that's what I'll end up getting, but both have their pluses. I don't see why Target can't carry both of them.
    Secret deal with Apple? Lol, I don't know. I guess if you're interested in buying a tablet and you start strolling through the electronics section, you notice the iPad but then see the Kindle Fire which is significantly more affordable...Target would lose an iPad sale there. Target probably wants to limit the selection so there isn't a question whether to buy the Kindle or not. There are a bunch of Android tablets out there too, but none match the price of the super affordable Kindle Fire so most people would probably also skip past the other Android tablets. It's all about money and max profit IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    I read an ipad for 8 hours a day. I do not get eye strain. The brightness level can be adjusted for those not in the know. I also recommend getting away from florescent light to help.
    Hmm...