+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wal-Mart Accounts For 11 Percent of iPad Sales

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Last week Tim Cook commented on the importance of Apple’s partnership with mega-retail chain Wal-Mart. "[Walmart] is an increasingly more substantial partner in the iPad space... and an evolving partner
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wal-Mart Accounts For 11 Percent of iPad Sales

Last week Tim Cook commented on the importance of Apple’s partnership with mega-retail chain Wal-Mart.

"[Walmart] is an increasingly more substantial partner in the iPad space... and an evolving partner on iPhone. And so we're working with them and enjoy working with them and hope to continue expanding." — Tim Cook
    Market research firm Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) released a new report that sheds some light on how “substantial” of a partner Wal-Mart is to Apple. The firm’s report claims Wal-Mart now accounts for 11% of all iPad sales pegging them as the third largest iPad retailer. By comparison Apple’s online website and retail chains account for 26% of all iPad sales. Best Buy isn’t far behind with their stores pushing 24% of iPad sales, and Amazon comes in fourth behind Wal-Mart accounting for 8% of iPad sales.

CIRP culled the numbers from a February survey of customers who had purchased an iPad in the last 90 days. Demographics of the sample size were not given. Also, the Amazon number is likely disingenuous considering Amazon isn’t even an authorized reseller, Amazon’s partners are selling it.

Business Insider made the observation that while Wal-Mart has the potential to get the iPhone into more homes, this also drives down the average selling price of iPads. This happens because Apple needs to let Wal-Mart and similar retailers take a reasonable gross profit from each purchase.

So far that “reasonable gross profit” hasn’t stopped Apple from beating financial analysts' quarterly estimates with aplomb.

Source: Business Insider

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Odd. I wouldn't think of the walmart crowd as big iPhone users.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Odd. I wouldn't think of the walmart crowd as big iPhone users.
    I thought they did discounted previous models? Maybe that's where they get their sales -- it would be interesting to know the demographics.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well I like to go to Wal-Mart, although some other stores have replaced it for me, nonetheless I'd probably get an iPad there too if it weren't for Apple's refurbed store. Or Best Buy bc of the rewards points...I guess I wouldn't get it at Wal-Mart lol, never mind. I can see that other people would do so though, it's just a convenient place to go to.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I bought an iPad 2 and 3 from Walmart. The reason? They actually had the ones I was looking for unlike the Best Buy stores around here. Sure, I could have gone to an Apple store but it's much farther away plus I had Walmart gift cards to use up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I thought they did discounted previous models? Maybe that's where they get their sales -- it would be interesting to know the demographics.
    Apple is the one that actually determines who gets what iPads. Walmart stores can't order any apple products at store level regardless of what was sold. My local Walmart only gets in a couple of the new iPads every week and they are sold within a couple of hours. Who knows how many they would sell if they actually had constant stock of them. Additionally half the people turned away at the cell phone center are people wanting an iPhone.

Thanks

Well that is interesting.

*T*
    Thanks

You have to consider that Walmart has hundreds of stores across the globe, far more than Apple or any other retailer. Knowing this, Walmart probably only sells a few thousand at each store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I got my new iPad from Walmart because they sold it 8 hours before anyone else, even Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello Friends !!!!!

I read out your posts which is full of knowledge and I have gain a lots of knowledge. Apple is the one that actually determines who gets what iPads. Walmart stores can't order any apple products at store level regardless of what was sold.