+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Jailbreak Tweak Allows Window Management for iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If you have been looking for a way to make your iPad feel right at home with your personal computer instead of having the limited mobile interface on that huge
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default New iPad Jailbreak Tweak Allows Window Management for iPad

If you have been looking for a way to make your iPad feel right at home with your personal computer instead of having the limited mobile interface on that huge screen, then look no further than a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Quasar by iOS developer Pedro Franceschi. We aren’t claiming in any way that this jailbreak tweak makes your iPad a personal computer, however it adds an important feature to the iPad that most personal computers come with – window management.

As illustrated by the screenshot above, applications run in windows instead of launching as full-screen applications, which is the way iOS forces them run by default. This allows the applications to run side by side to one another so you can multitask without ever having to use the iOS multitasking App Switcher to do so (just like you would with Mac OS X or Windows). You can manually adjust the size of each window using the resizing handle in the bottom right-hand corner. You can force them into full-screen if you prefer it that way, and then easily slide back into window view. Another really interesting feature the developer included is the ability to run iPhone applications in their native size. This means you can use iPhone applications right next to iPad applications without stretching them and losing image quality:

Of course, because these applications are running live side-by-side, only the iPad has support for it. It would not be practical to have applications running side-by-side on the iPhone or iPod touch because as aforementioned, the iPad has enough room to escape the limited mobile interface, whereas the iPhone or iPod touch is just bogged down to that small screen. It should also be noted that this tweak will require more memory and processing power to use in comparison to the multitasking App Switcher.

The developer mentions in the Cydia description how Quasar is integrated into the multitasking App Switcher in such a way where tapping the close button on an application running in window-view will cause the application to close, however it will not quit the application from running in the background. You will also notice the applications in window view respond to your actions in the App Switcher, such as closing an application in the App Switcher will close the window of the related application. Quasar also includes integration with the App Store, Safari, and YouTube applications, so when you tap on a link that opens one of those applications, it launches in a separate window instead of launching one of the applications in full-screen, as iOS would normally.

Below, the developer shows us a quick demonstration of Quasar in action, to help use better understand the concept:

The idea is a great one for the iPad, however the Quasar jailbreak tweak will set you back a hefty $9.99 to grab a copy. The foundation for finding Quasar to be a useful tweak depends on how you prefer using your iPad. If you prefer the limited mobile interface, then Quasar might not be for you. On the other hand, if you want to use applications on your iPad similarly to how you use them on your personal computer at home, then you would definitely want to give Quasar a try. You can find Quasar on the BigBoss repository and you need to be running iOS 5 on your iPad to use it.

Sources: Pedro Franceschi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This looks so cool - just a shame I can't use it on my iPad 3

Thanks

this right here.... AWESOME

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

The price is very reasonable. This is a game changer. I wonder if this is harsh on the battery.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

The video link isn't working on my iPhone.

I found it on you tube. That looks very well put together. I will look at it when I get to my iPad. Is there a free trail?? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by mustard05; 04-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

Very well done. The most impressive tweak I've seen for the iPad. Had I a jailbreak for mine, I'd be all over this.

I little frustrating.
    Last edited by severe; 04-29-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks amazing for a first release. The windows appear to be live, since if you look at the status bar for the twitter window, the time changes from 11:54 to 11:55 at the same time the main status bar changes time. All without having to click the twitter window again. Nice work dev.

Thanks

Apple should hire the developer. Not this is really a useful tweak which is worth every cent.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoolygan View Post
    Apple should hire the developer. Not this is really a useful tweak which is worth every cent.
    I've had this idea for awhile knowing apple wound never do it, but then Apple announced widgets which said to me that they were going to bring this out, but instead they brought out some junky widget thing like they have on Macs

This is what apple should had done when they introduced widgets, I think they failed at widgets on the iPad for one most need Internet access
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 04-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truncj View Post
    Looks amazing for a first release. The windows appear to be live, since if you look at the status bar for the twitter window, the time changes from 11:54 to 11:55 at the same time the main status bar changes time. All without having to click the twitter window again. Nice work dev.
    i bought it, and have it installed in my ipad2.

windows are live in the backgrounds, for example, i have plex playing behind the appstore currently, and i can update apps and work in either.

It's incredibly smooth for a 1.0. No crashes, lag, feels incredibly fast. I'm in shock.

now is as good a time as ever to go to over to pod2g's blog and tell him you want that 5.1 jailbreak while his poll is up!

/reminder, it's never worked for them before when they saved exploits. Apple has burned them that way in the past.

also, it doesn't behave like normal multi tasking.

for example, plex would normally in the background stop, like youtube, and then you could if you wanted to you could restart the audio in the background while you fiddled with something else. With this tweak, starting plex and mail for example, starting a stream in plex, and then going full screen in mail would result in the video continuing to play in the background.

cool stuff.
    Last edited by JesseDegenerate; 04-28-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

Apple's embarrassment over being beaten to the punch on this should definitely result in this developer getting a job, or at least a healthy buyout. It looks really fantastic, and is a testament to the jailbreak community. Thanks so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ady199 View Post
    This looks so cool - just a shame I can't use it on my iPad 3
    THIS! Awesome!

Thanks

Awesome tweak, now I just need an ipad
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

I purchased it, but Cydia won't install it. WTF.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    Awesome tweak, now I just need an ipad
    Me too.

Thanks

How does the resizing of the app work? For instance text, does it get much smaller if say the app is resized to half?

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow bring the jailbreak out do the iPad 3... I like that!!!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why tablets at the moment have no purpose- no window management... This looks amazing.

Thanks

It looks amazing. Unfortunately after getting it installed, it causes Mail to crash, and spring board to fail every so often . It is very glitchy as well. Sometimes it freezes up and your stuck looking at what ever app was open, because all other multitasking tools are disabled. Like pinch to close etc. It looks great and I hope they continue development, but for now I want my money back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tablets usefullness
    Awesome! I just got it installed and it is smooth as butter. lovin' the multitasking feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    This is why tablets at the moment have no purpose- no window management... This looks amazing.
    I disagree with your assessment of Tablets. Your definition of usability is completely different than someone else s. I fond them to be not only useful, but indispensable for media consumption and productivity, especially for school work.
    Last edited by jadid; 04-28-2012 at 06:55 PM.