+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Encyclopedia Britannica Revived as iOS App

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Encyclopedia Britannica Revived as iOS App

Encyclopedia Britannica released today their iconic volumes of information in app form on iOS.

The release comes in the wake of the company’s March announcement that they would cease production of the 244-year old general information encyclopedia. Britannica is hoping the digital platform will help spur sales of the encyclopedia as the company managed to sell only 8,500 physical copies last year.

While the transition is as inevitable as it is late, the app is a free download with a considerable amount of content available for free. To gain complete access a $1.99 monthly subscription is required. The app runs natively on both the iPad and iPhone, and is a 40.5MB download.

The app release notes claim the digital Britannica contains 80,000 “expertly written and thoroughly fact-checked” articles. Oddly enough they list Tony Hawk alongside Bill Clinton and Desmond Tutu as a “subject guru” who has contributed to the encyclopedia. Guess they’re trying to stay hip?

The $2 month subscription is exponentially cheaper than owning the encyclopedias yourself, but then again you might have access to a public library or currently be in school.

The features found within Britannica are pretty standard as far as digital and online publications go. Users can search and browse content, view photos and other graphics, save your favorite articles with “My Britannica”, and a feature “LinkMap” lets users view related topics via a relational web.

Hopefully the digital iteration of Britannica allows the editors and people in charge of content to update, and change misinformation quickly instead of waiting two years for another edition to be printed. Honestly, what needs to be fully realized is a version of Wikipedia recognized by scholastic institutions. Having an encyclopedia, or information source constantly being updated by the greatest minds in the world would be an amazing information source. Subject driven databases used at colleges across the country are great, but those supply individuals with research papers and studies available in Journals that require money to access as well.

Perhaps I’m getting off track, but if Britannica could pull its weight and use the immediacy of the internet to publish research articles alongside original encyclopedia entries, the subscription model would be infinitely more justifiable.

Source: iDownloadBlog

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Seriously? I take it they have no articles on "Google" in these encyclopedias because they clearly don't know it exists.
    Last edited by brodimus; 04-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brodimus View Post
    Seriously? I take it they have no articles on "Google" in these encyclopedias because they clearly don't know it exists.
    +1. I'm not paying you a monthly fee for access to your articles. Even a one time price for a year/perpetuity would be a remote possibility . EB you need to learn about something called the Internet. We are at an age now where we no longer need to ask someone about something, look it up in a book in our house or gasp, drive to a library to look it up in someone else's book.
    Hmm...

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    +1. I'm not paying you a monthly fee for access to your articles. Even a one time price for a year/perpetuity would be a remote possibility . EB you need to learn about something called the Internet. We are at an age now where we no longer need to ask someone about something, look it up in a book in our house or gasp, drive to a library to look it up in someone else's book.
    I understand this sentiment, but as someone who is nearly done with their Masters, the need for useful information from "citable" sources is paramount. Although, I will say I haven't touched an encyclopedia during my research. Everything I attain is from independent databases, research articles, and books. Which is why Britannica needs to shift its focus away from being a paid-for Wikipedia, and offer something those doing legitimate research will pay for, namely access to databases and scholarly journals.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    I understand this sentiment, but as someone who is nearly done with their Masters, the need for useful information from "citable" sources is paramount. Although, I will say I haven't touched an encyclopedia during my research. Everything I attain is from independent databases, research articles, and books. Which is why Britannica needs to shift its focus away from being a paid-for Wikipedia, and offer something those doing legitimate research will pay for, namely access to databases and scholarly journals.
    I 100% agree.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't know Roebling died while the bridge was still being built! That sucks not to see your work completed!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    FYI: The Internet or Wikipedia aren't credible sources. Those tools are great if you want to know garbage like what Lady Gaga's real name is. There will always be a need for credible and citable reference materials for people doing real research. And I hate to break the news to you, but an online encyclopedia that's maintained by a bunch of middle-aged nerds still living with their mom isn't it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
    fyi: The internet or wikipedia aren't credible sources. Those tools are great if you want to know garbage like what lady gaga's real name is. There will always be a need for credible and citable reference materials for people doing real research. And i hate to break the news to you, but an online encyclopedia that's maintained by a bunch of middle-aged nerds still living with their mom isn't it.
    that.is.true.!