+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Defend iPad "4G" Branding in Australia

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple to Defend iPad "4G" Branding in Australia

Recently, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission accused Apple of deceiving consumers by labeling the third generation iPad as a 4G product. The Cupertino California company denied the claims saying that they never marketed the device as being compatible with Australia’s 4G networks. Apple put the blame on Australia’s networks saying they were mislabeled, not the iPad. According to Apple the existing 3G networks operated by Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone can be called “4G networks in accordance with accepted industry and regulatory use of the descriptor ‘4G.’” The statement was a response to an earlier assertion that the “4G” label in the iPad’s branding misled buyers into thinking that the device would operate on existing Australian 4G networks.

For those of you who didn’t know, the third-generation iPad uses the 700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies to connect with so-called 4G networks but only the latter is available for mobile communications use in Australia. As of right now, the three telecoms in Australia only use the UMTS standard on the 2100 MHz band, marketing it as a 3G technology.

To help please consumers, Apple offered refunds to those customers who bought the new iPad expecting it to operate on Telstra’s LTE network. The company even went the extra step to update its website to clarify the device’s capabilities as they pertain to Australian networks. Here the company noted that the name of a product doesn’t necessarily denote compatibility with any specific network. "The descriptor '4G' ... conveys to consumers in Australia that the iPad with WiFi + 4G will deliver a superior level of service in terms of data transfer speed (consistent with accepted industry and regulatory use of that term), and not that the iPad with WiFi + 4G is compatible with any particular network technology promoted by a particular mobile service provider in Australia."

A full hearing is expected to begin in May regarding the dispute.

Source: The Australian

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

This is bull. If you buy a device, READ ABOUT IT FIRST! There is a reason Apple has a sales phone number. -___-

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree with your statement. I bought the iphone 4s thinking Siri would work but no not in Canada. Stuck in a plan so i cannot take back my iphone but i would have never got if i knew siri wouldnt work. Now they try this stuff to Australia, apple is trying to pull a fast one on people and im not to happy about it at all. I hope apple gets everything they deserve coming at them + more.

Banned
    Thanks

This is exactly the same as was posted a few weeks ago so nothing new.
    Its even got the exact same reply from Apple.
    Maybe the heading has changed, other than that its the exact same article.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually, I will say that it is indeed misleading, if 4G won't work in a particular country, the device should not be marketed in that country as 4G, it shouldn't even be mentioned. In most countries there is an honesty in advertising law that labeling it as 4G, when it won't work on 4G would definitely be violating. I wish we had these laws in America too, but such is life.

That being said, if someone were to by an iPad 3 in America and then complain that it won't work on 4G in Australia, then it should definitely be buyer beware.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I disagree with your statement. I bought the iphone 4s thinking Siri would work but no not in Canada. Stuck in a plan so i cannot take back my iphone but i would have never got if i knew siri wouldnt work. Now they try this stuff to Australia, apple is trying to pull a fast one on people and im not to happy about it at all. I hope apple gets everything they deserve coming at them + more.
    You bought a 4S just for Siri?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

FWIW I agree with your Siri statement. People calim Apple is open about Siri being in beta. IME, you actually have to dig pretty deep to learn this. Nearly every single 4S commercial revolves around Siri. One would think that this would be a good place for Apple to let the public, their customers, know that Siri is in beta, even if it has to be in fine print at the bottom of the ads. Apple is still pumping out Siri ads and, while I have not yet seen the newst ads (supposedly Samuel L Jackson and one other celebrity), they have yet to put it right there in the open that Siri is in beta.

That said, this situation is different. The iPad has HSPA+, which is an accepted standard for 4G at this point. You will still get the people touting that even LTE isn't "real" 4G. They are wrong. Why? Definitions have been changed. People crying foul and pointing to a definition are speaking of a definition as it was over two years ago. It has since been revised.

I am left slightly confused about your 4S woes. Is there no trial period in Canada when getting a new phone? Assuming there is, you should have realized that it wasn't going to work for you. Why on earth did you keep it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

It took you more than 30 days to figure out that Siri doesn't work where you are?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Being an Australian and someone that works in the IT&T field, I have seen HSPA+ with a 4S using the dual antenna and yes there is a significant speed increase and on the Telstra network (Our fastest) can achieve a real 10-12Mb/s but the LTE they are using can easily achieve 44Mb/s without even breaking a sweat and I've seen much faster on the 4G dual antenna modems Telstra provide. To see the 4G symbol on my iPad I'd want a minimum of 20Mb/s a sec to feel like I'd got all the value from that tech.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So because you didn't take the time to investigate the products features and capabilities, right away you blame the company for misleading you? For the record I am also from Canada and I used common sense and normal purchase practice by researching the product before buying it. Perhaps I might suggest the same practice in your future purchases. Believe me Google is and amazing thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Every Body !!!!!!!

I will say that it is indeed misleading, if 4G would not work in a particular country, the device should not be marketed in that country as 4G, it shouldn't even be mentioned.I have seen HSPA+ with a 4S using the dual antenna.