Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Have the Edge in the Classroom Computing Race due to iOS Fondness in Teens

Thanks

Default Apple May Have the Edge in the Classroom Computing Race due to iOS Fondness in Teens

It seems like the iPad may make its way further into the education system thanks to the popularity of the device among teens. According to a recent report on AllThingsD, investment firm Piper Jaffray surveyed 18 public school IT managers about their future tablet plans and discovered that 78% of them are testing iPads and/or ChromeBooks (with 6% of them saying they were testing Android tablets).

This appears to be good news for both Apple and Google, though perhaps is more favorable for Apple. The IT managers in the schools are ultimately not the deciding factors in which the device is ultimately deployed in their schools. Much like in the enterprise world, many schools are considering a “bring your own device” policy as a way to foster a one-to-one device/student ratio. With the belief of a “bring your own device” policy being the best way to achieve a one-to-one ratio and given the iPad’s market share among teens (roughly 70% of teen tablet owners owned iPads), this definitely bodes well for Apple.

Apple has already tried to pave its way into the education market with the release of iBooks 2.0 and iBooks Author. The Cupertino California company seems to be slowly trying to appeal to the education market but seemed to have a hard time breaking the barrier. With news of schools looking into a “bring your own device” policy and current teen demographics, it seems like Apple was much closer than they thought the whole time.

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I wish I was my daughters age, life is so much more exciting and educational these days. I grew up with no computers until around the 8th grade and even then we had to type in terminal commands to make things happen. Getting the floppy to play Doom was like hacking into a website. I am sure some of you can relate

Quote Originally Posted by FreeApple View Post
    I wish I was my daughters age, life is so much more exciting and educational these days. I grew up with no computers until around the 8th grade and even then we had to type in terminal commands to make things happen. Getting the floppy to play Doom was like hacking into a website. I am sure some of you can relate
    Ah... The good ole days of using the Apple II E computer in 5th grade... Anticipating the end of class where I could throw in the floppy & play an exciting game of Oregon Trail... man I sound like a Grandpa...

That's one big iPanel!

But seriously, I'm sure education will be one way Apple will try to sell their iPanels, or whatever they'll call them. I still think it's a huge mistake and they should stick with a $100 box that can achieve much more market penetration because it's cheap and can be plugged into anything: TV's, projectors, computers, etc.

Imagine great teacher's editions e-textbooks that can be accessed through an Apple TV connected to projectors schools already have. The teacher can show flawless, beautiful, engaging presentations to the students that students can connect to and interact with using their personal iPads and e-textbooks. The possibilities are amazing. This should be Apple's move to gain deeper market penetration into the education system. ultra-expensive TV's won't do it. They also need to release a cheaper 8" education-only priced iPad so more schools can afford to adapt.

One of my friends is a teacher and she has 30+ iPod Touches to teach. I never had seen that many iPods in one pile before. But playing tic tac toe with one iPod per square is pretty fun.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Since when do educational institute do things because of teen's fondness with something?
    It that were true there would be only 1 class, it is called recess.

Here is my thoughts on the matter:
    Many families around the country can barely make it every month, no way they can spend couple hundred on an iDevice. Expect the school system to pay for the hardware is not realistic, last I checked school systems is not hemoraging money (well maybe not the private schools). If it is going to be done it would be Android open system, with cheap hardware which almost everyone can afford.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FreeApple View Post
    Haha yeah! Good times! We had Apple II E's and IBM computers! I use to know my way around CMD Prompt, but now I only use it for IT class or work every once in awhile! It's too bad, kids these days don't even know what it's used for or that it even exists! Playing Oregon Trail (as mentioned above) and Dr. Quandry's Island, those were the days!

Here in Utah all the school district's use Apple computers, the teachers get MacBooks to use in class and at home. The past couple years they've all been getting iPad's (two for each classroom) for the kids to learn/play with! I think it's a great idea, Apple's iOS is so simple and easy for them to use.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 04-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    That's one big iPanel!

But seriously, I'm sure education will be one way Apple will try to sell their iPanels, or whatever they'll call them. I still think it's a huge mistake and they should stick with a $100 box that can achieve much more market penetration because it's cheap and can be plugged into anything: TV's, projectors, computers, etc.

Imagine great teacher's editions e-textbooks that can be accessed through an Apple TV connected to projectors schools already have. The teacher can show flawless, beautiful, engaging presentations to the students that students can connect to and interact with using their personal iPads and e-textbooks. The possibilities are amazing. This should be Apple's move to gain deeper market penetration into the education system. ultra-expensive TV's won't do it. They also need to release a cheaper 8" education-only priced iPad so more schools can afford to adapt.
    sounds awesome. Hope they do that. I believe that if I pads were in schools like that, children would be more comfortable with using them and they will probably progress in that particular course of study. Kids nowadays teach themselves via the web, f/b,twitter and of course you tube, so heck no,I don't think it's a bad idea, it's awesome!! Because there are too many stupid kids out here smh.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Since when do educational institute do things because of teen's fondness with something?
    It that were true there would be only 1 class, it is called recess.

Here is my thoughts on the matter:
    Many families around the country can barely make it every month, no way they can spend couple hundred on an iDevice. Expect the school system to pay for the hardware is not realistic, last I checked school systems is not hemoraging money (well maybe not the private schools). If it is going to be done it would be Android open system, with cheap hardware which almost everyone can afford.
    Android may be free and open, but the hardware will never be free. And with cheap hardware comes cheap hardware problems. As I said, if Apple could release an 8" iPad at $200, or basically at cost, for schools, that could work. When you take out the cost of all the books it would please. But you'd still have to get at least a few year mileage out of it, which would be challenging.