+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leaked Internal Apple Document Admits New iPad Wi-Fi Problems

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
9to5Mac published an internal AppleCare document , that if real, seems to confirm many of the Wi-Fi issues third-generation iPad users are reporting such as the inability to pick up
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Leaked Internal Apple Document Admits New iPad Wi-Fi Problems

9to5Mac published an internal AppleCare document, that if real, seems to confirm many of the Wi-Fi issues third-generation iPad users are reporting such as the inability to pick up local Wi-Fi networks, slow download and upload speeds and dropped connections.

Currently there is a thread on Apple’s online support forum with 700 replies complaining about issues similar to the ones mentioned above in the letter.

"Hi, I've just received my iPad3 direct from Apple. Tryoing from my MBA as the new device can't connect to the internet. Spinning circle by my network. Any ideas? All other mac devices work fine including an iPad1 and iPad2."

"I am sad to Report that I am also experiencing issues with wifi connectivity. My new iPad drops the signal even in my bedroom, which is literally about 10 feet from the router. Same in the bathroom. Not a problem with the router and I've never had issues like this with any other electronics, including iPhone 4, laptops, nook tablet, and even ipad2. I am in fact typing this in my new iPad - about a foot from the router, where it works perfectly. It looks like I will also be returning the device."

"I have the same issue. We have 2 iPads. One is an iPad2 and the other the new iPad. We can use them side by side on the same sites and the wi-fi reception on the new iPad is much lower than the iPad2. I have installed a NetGear wi-fi extender and that has hugely improved the reception on the new ipad."
    The internal document shows Apple has acknowledged the issue and has alerted AppleCare employees to test affected iPads to make sure the WiFi issues aren’t due to normal software bugs, but instead because of actual hardware components. According to Apple the 4G LTE versions of the new iPad aren’t affected by the poor Wi-Fi performance. This is likely due to the black rubber cut on top of the unit used to improve 3G/4G wireless performance.

Also, the leaked document claims any affected units should be “captured” which according to 9to5Mac’s source is code for “immediately” packing up and shipping the device to Apple’s “engineering centers for examination and investigation.” Apple has instructed employees to “capture” the iPad accessories as well, and issue customers a new iPad.

While it’s good to know Apple is actively trying to fix the issue, it’s rather inexcusable that the Wi-Fi only iPad would suffer from poor Wi-Fi performance. However, it appears not every Wi-Fi only iPad is affected by the problem. Hopefully Apple doesn’t stick to their “secret” recall and actually announces something so those affected, both who realize it and don’t, can get a properly working replacement.

Source: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 04-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm gonna go with a made up document. I don't really know :/
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Perhaps, but this doesn't look made up https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=555&tstart=0 great, all I needed right before I purchased the new iPad .....

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

My third generation wifi only iPad does not have any Wi-Fi problems...
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Thanks

Would reply more but my iPad keeps disconnecting

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

"do not disclose externally"

lol :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

This doesn't admit anything. Apple has a capture process for all new models of device - they've got "proof" that something like this exists on the forum and they want to take the device and study it to find out what the cause of it is before they classify it as an emerging issue.

The article does look very legitimate though, based off personal experience.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
    My third generation wifi only iPad does not have any Wi-Fi problems...
    Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean other people don't.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been having wifi connection issues with my ipad 1 since i upgraded to 5.1