+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad to Blame for Best Buy Store Closures?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On Thursday it was announced that Best Buy will close 50 stores around the U.S. and relinquish some 400 employees as ongoing cost-cutting measures are taking their toll on the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPad to Blame for Best Buy Store Closures?

On Thursday it was announced that Best Buy will close 50 stores around the U.S. and relinquish some 400 employees as ongoing cost-cutting measures are taking their toll on the big box retailer's expansive market presence.

All told, the electronics retailer needs to trim about $800 million in costs.

So what's to blame for the company's financial burdens? After all, it seems like a lot of people still shop there and almost as many people buy iPhones and iPads from Best Buy as they do directly through Apple. Incredibly, however, the iPad is one of culprits Best Buy is blaming for today's unfortunate cutbacks.

Let's pause for a moment while we all wrap our heads around that statement.

You see, according to Best Buy, the low margins retailers like Best Buy see from iPad sales, regardless of how popular the devices may be, take their toll on the company's bottom line - a bottom line that is also suffering from the compound effects of sluggish PC sales.

"I am not satisfied with the pace or degree of change we have made up to this point," Chief Executive Brian Dunn said in a conference call with analysts, adding, "We are evolving our retail store strategy. We are increasing our points of presence while decreasing our overall square footage."
    At the end of the day, Best Buy has to do what Best Buy sees fit to do. And the numbers confirm this reality. The company, after all, reported a loss of $1.7 billion for the quarter ending March 3rd of this year.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Best buy have closed a load of stores they had only just opened in the UK.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This kind of makes sense. After all, they're selling the iPad for the same price as Apple - and we have no idea what Apple charges them for stock. For all we know, they're only making $10 a unit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Because Best Buy has never really been the BEST BUY! I mean anyone with half a brain knows this. I shop at Best Buy and go home and order it online or find it cheaper at another big box store.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Because Best Buy has never really been the BEST BUY! I mean anyone with half a brain knows this. I shop at Best Buy and go home and order it online or find it cheaper at another big box store.
    ++1

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you serious with junk? Products like the iPad have probably brought more traffic to Best Buy stores, where these shoppers probably bought a screen protector and case. Not to mention that traffic has probably led to other sales not related to Apple products.
    The iPad is not to blame, its obviously other factors like too many stores, to much overhead, bad business practices, and an inability to successfully adapt to internet shopping quickly and efficiently, and most importantly, correct budgeting.
    You have a bad habbit of writing stories that are twisted.
    Last edited by mustard05; 03-29-2012 at 11:57 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Maybe its because its FAR cheaper to buy stuff online. Buying a computer or TV in the store used to be the best/easiest way to do it, but its not anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Maybe its because its FAR cheaper to buy stuff online. Buying a computer or TV in the store used to be the best/easiest way to do it, but its not anymore.
    Well according to the writer of this stupid article, it couldnt be for the reasons you mentioned. Its the iPads fualt.
    Last edited by mustard05; 03-29-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Well according to the writer of this stupid article, it couldnt be for the reasons you mentioned. Its the i pads fualt.
    Anyone who repeatedly calls the iPad the i pad, isn't allowed to comment on Apple stuff. Please log off.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I still remember the day I found out that a corporate loss represents no actual money lost, but just not meeting a projected total profit for the quarter. Blew my mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Anyone who repeatedly calls the iPad the i pad, isn't allowed to comment on Apple stuff. Please log off.
    Are you serious with that comment? I have seen post on this forum that are barely readable, and you pick how I spelt "I pad" to comment about. LMFAO.

Thanks

I actually saw a story on Best Buy recently. The major problem is people come into the store ask great questions look at merchandise and use their smart phone in the store to compare online prices. The big box store has too much overhead and can't compete.

Thanks

Default Best buy
    The other day I was in Best Buy to purchase a screen protector for ipad.The store was almost empty and was like 6PM weekday, however the only people from the store were all crowded around the new ipad or in front of big iMac screens. One gentleman was by the nerds counter waiting for his laptop. No surprise that are closing stores. To big, to expensive, online shopping is much economical even with the delivery charges.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe they (Best Buy) lose money because I can get that $39.99 HDMI cable for $5 from CablesForLess and I don't have to deal with rude and ignorant Best Buy sales monkeys?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Buy employees are the used car salesman of electronic stores. They are so full if crap and literally bs people into buying things. I've caught damn near every associate that's helped me at Best Buy in a straight out lie. They all need to close!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Like an idiot, I bought a case for my iPhone from Best Buy for $20. Minutes later, I walk into a dollar store down the street and see the exact same type of case. I bought that one and went right back into Best Buy and got my money back. I'm using the dollar store case right now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

True, but kind of sad. Once there's nothing but online retailing left, how will we compare products? It's not practical to order ten 60" TVs and mail back the nine you don't like. If this trend continues, you won't be able to go into a brick & mortar store (or a chicken-wire & stucco store for you folks in the US) to make that initial comparison.

What's Jailbreak? WilliamGEstill's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sales monkeys?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by valkraider View Post
    Maybe they (Best Buy) lose money because I can get that $39.99 HDMI cable for $5 from CablesForLess and I don't have to deal with rude and ignorant Best Buy sales monkeys?

so what do u know about best buy staff that gives you the right to insult them with such a name?
    u better than them? its interesting that you can take an actually concerning topic thread and use it as an avenue to get that one little verbal jab in that didn't even need to be there, much less contribute anything worth while.
    makes your feel better about yourself i guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yet how much do they make from those grossly overpriced yet incredibly average sounding Beats headphones?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In my opinion this is partially because people come in, speak with the staff for half an hour or so then go to buy online. Normally this wouldn't be a big problem, however in that time customers walk in and get frustrated because the online shopper is taking up all the associates time then leaves. It happens more than not. Personally I think it's rude to take up someone's time, get all the knowledge u were searching for, then tell them to pretty much screw off and your buying online. That's a lot of lost sales and angry customers getting mad and going online because they think they're being ignored. No that's not always the case and not wholly to blame but it's probably part of it. That's my perspective anyways.
    Last edited by Hunter926; 03-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast