Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Settle Australian 4G Dispute, Offers Unsatisfied Customers Refund

Default Apple Settle Australian 4G Dispute, Offers Unsatisfied Customers Refund

Earlier today reports surfaced that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission wanted Apple to drop the “4G” from its iPad advertisements in Australia. Apple has complied, and has offered Australian customers the option of returning their 4G iPads if they feel they were duped.

In case you missed the article this morning, the whole controversy stems from Apple advertising 4G connection speeds as a feature of the new iPad in Australia when none of the 4G networks in Australia support the new iPad.

Today Apple’s lawyers argued it was never specified the iPad could connect to Telstra’s network, but told the court the device is compatible with other networks that by international standards are deemed 4G. Apple has agreed to publish a clarification that states the product supports ultra-fast mobile networks but is not compatible with the Telstra network. The company says it will email purchasers offering a refund if they believe they have been mislead. Clarifications will also be made at point of sale. Apple has entered into discussions with the watchdog and will return to the Melbourne Federal Court this afternoon.
    The settlement seems kind pointless considering Apple already lets customers return iPads in 14 days no questions asked. Still, the whole marketing gimmick that is 4G needs to stop, especially if AT&T can claim their HSPA+ network is 4G.

Source: 9to5Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

So in Australia, Apple isn't allowed to advertise a feature that their device has? It does say "around the world". It's not Apples fault some customers are so stupid that they don't know that their entire country doesn't have 4g capable networks. Do these people think 4g is a processor on the iPad that makes the Internet faster? This is dumb. It's as dumb as a 83 year old lady walking into a glass door, then suing the glass door because she is retarded.
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks
    what the hell does it do with Apple?? It's supported by the hardware, it's not their issue that it's not featured by the carriers :S

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    So in Australia, Apple isn't allowed to advertise a feature that their device has? It does say "around the world". It's not Apples fault some customers are so stupid that they don't know that their entire country doesn't have 4g capable networks. Do these people think 4g is a processor on the iPad that makes the Internet faster? This is dumb. It's as dumb as a 83 year old lady walking into a glass door, then suing the glass door because she is retarded.
    Nice one. You obv are unaware of the fact Australia does actually indeed have 4G rolled out! The issue is that Apple choose to conveniently not incorporate an 1800mhz chipset for Australia and many other countries 4G networks, leaving basically only US and Canada as being compatible. Hardly around the frigging world is it, unless your some insular 'America is the world' type of person Apple do indeed deserve the big slap on the wrist they got here for that kind of 'global' lazy and misleading marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedosa View Post
    what the hell does it do with Apple?? It's supported by the hardware, it's not their issue that it's not featured by the carriers :S
    Kind of the fact that the world's carriers who do support 4G aren't using the singly supported 700mhz spectrum, there are 4 different 4G frequencies at the moment globally. Also, that it's got nothing to do with the carriers choice in many countries,as in here in Australia for example, the 700mhz freq is already allocated by the Communications Authority to analogue TV until it is shut down in the next few years!
    Last edited by Ozdude; 03-28-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozdude View Post
    Nice one. You obv are unaware of the fact Australia does actually indeed have 4G rolled out! The issue is that Apple choose to conveniently not incorporate an 1800mhz chipset for Australia and many other countries 4G networks, leaving basically only US and Canada as being compatible. Hardly around the frigging world is it, unless your some insular 'America is the world' type of person Apple do indeed deserve the big slap on the wrist they got here for that kind of 'global' lazy and misleading marketing.

Kind of the fact that the world's carriers who do support 4G aren't using the singly supported 700mhz spectrum, there are 4 different 4G frequencies at the moment globally. Also, that it's got nothing to do with the carriers choice in many countries,as in here in Australia for example, the 700mhz freq is already allocated by the Communications Authority to analogue TV until it is shut down in the next few years!
    Then you probably already know about Optus getting that band. Settle down ffs. Also 2100mhz is supported. How you act shocked that an American company would take care of Americans first, I'm not sure. But if your going to correct him, don't bs, correct him and explain it properly.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol... go after Apple for everything. They did nothing wrong. No matter what Apple does someone will sue them seriously. I bet some idiot is going to sue apple over the $10,000 gift card. So sad.. I'm Canadian and can say what did you think the ipad and everything was made for? People in Australia.. seriously..... stuffs not even ready for Canada but now they are starting to launch Canada and USA on the same day. I might as well sue apple because i live on by the border and if i walk 1mile Siri works.. if i walk 1mile back siri doesn't because im in canada.. might as well sue apple for this "false advertisement" or "misleading advertisement." And truthfully i dont care what country as what so long as my apple device works in Canada im happy.

Having lived in Melbourne (Go the Pies!) for a number of years I can assure you that Aussies are as "insular" as any other people in the world, including Americans. Being from Canada meant that I was from "Canaidia". I'm sure that you, like other Australians, were taught that Australia is the best country in the world. I can assure you that it isn't.

North American telcos dropped the ball when it came to GSM and 3G adoption. They made up for it with 4G by supporting the SUPERIOR standard. Hence why Apple didn't choose the drive costs up on the 4G iPad by supporting the INFERIOR 1800 Mhz spectrum. Also, 4G is probably going to be supported by your precious Optus when the 700 Mhz spectrum is auctioned off this year! Optus even has a trial License for 700 Mhz 4G as of September of 2011. So you'll be able to recharge your Turbo-Cap and have all the 4G goodness you want!

Read below:
    Optus concludes Bendigo 700MHz LTE trials

I guess it could be Apple's fault for not supporting crappy 4G networks?