+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Says New iPad Has No Battery Charging Issues

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
First, we settled Heatgate . Now it looks like we can also resolve claims about battery charging issues with the new iPad. In recent days, reports have suggested that the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Says New iPad Has No Battery Charging Issues

First, we settled Heatgate. Now it looks like we can also resolve claims about battery charging issues with the new iPad.

In recent days, reports have suggested that the new iPad inaccurately claims a full charge, often a full two hours before the device's battery is actually at 100%. On Tuesday, Apple VP Michal Tchao spoke with All Things D to set the record straight.

As it turns out, Apple does allow the iPad to show a 100 percent charged reading before the tablet has, in fact, been fully charged. And that's okay, says Apple. It's exactly how the company designed it.

“That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao reveals. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”

You see, even when the iPad says its fully charged (before it really is), the device continues charging all the way to 100 percent. It will "then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged."

With regard to claims that the new iPad takes longer to charge... it does. The third-gen tablet requires a lot more power to make all the pretty amazing new features work as intended. As we know, Apple gave the new iPad a bigger battery to help run the device without shortchanging the operating time on one full charge.

But the bigger battery requires more charging time. Nothing more complicated than that at work here, folks. At least, that's Apple's official position on the matter, according to Tchao's comments on Tuesday.

Source: All Things D
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-27-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Bigger battery = Longer time to charge?!?!????!!?!!1!1!1

That defies all knowledge and reason. The end of the World is nigh!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

First, nothing was settled with "heatgate," the device is still uncomfortable to hold ... bottom line.

Second, everything is always better when Apple explains that we are wrong. We are holding it wrong, we have the wrong perception of what is "charged." It's either at 100% or it isn't. If it's not at 100%, it shouldn't read that it is. Regardless whether the device employs a trickle charge in the end, it should still accurately read the current battery life, otherwise what is the point when people can just GUESS...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro2008 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-27-2012)

Thanks

I know of no other brand of products that is anally probed and scrutinized as Apple's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro2008 View Post
    First, nothing was settled with "heatgate," the device is still uncomfortable to hold ... bottom line.

Second, everything is always better when Apple explains that we are wrong. We are holding it wrong, we have the wrong perception of what is "charged." It's either at 100% or it isn't. If it's not at 100%, it shouldn't read that it is. Regardless whether the device employs a trickle charge in the end, it should still accurately read the current battery life, otherwise what is the point when people can just GUESS...
    How about... if you don't like it... just return it...

If the battery bothers you so much then benchmark it between charging it until it stop pulling load and between it just starting to say 100%. Don't want to do that and it still bothers you? Return it! I don't get how people can cry so much when something is still within the return period.
    Last edited by Norb; 03-27-2012 at 12:54 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Buy a case you zero! Makes it less easy to slip out of your hands!

SECOND... Even the iPhone 4S is the same way... again your zero thinking ability is limiting you here.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it's too hot, get a case.

If it takes too long to charge, get one of these.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Natedawgster View Post

Lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

People are always going to complain, it's sad but true. It's not just the iPad that gets warm from use, all other tablets do the same, some get even warmer! There's ways around this if it bothers you that much! Apple can make their batteries charge anyway they want them to. If you don't like it then don't purchase it or do as others have suggested, return it! I can't imagine the charging being that big of a problem! In fact I can't imagine it being a problem at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I know of no other brand of products that is anally probed and scrutinized as Apple's.

How about... if you don't like it... just return it...

If the battery bothers you so much then benchmark it between charging it until it stop pulling load and between it just starting to say 100%. Don't want to do that and it still bothers you? Return it! I don't get how people can cry so much when something is still within the return period.
    Why are so many quick to Apple's defense? An overpriced device, behind the curve with a huge profit margin. Honestly, Apple products are becoming more of crap painted in gold than actual gold.

As far as returning, that was done promptly and this year I am going to weigh my options better. More than that, if I take the app store/current purchases out of the equation, it's a no brainer that they are way behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Buy a case you zero! Makes it less easy to slip out of your hands!

SECOND... Even the iPhone 4S is the same way... again your zero thinking ability is limiting you here.
    Really? So I have "zero thinking ability" because I returned the product refusing to cave into the Apple mentality? How about not using a backing material without a high heat transference? Not one person testing the product noted uncomfortable heat? Furthermore, why should I have to buy additional products just to comfortably use an already expensive device?

Regardless whether the iPhone 4s has the same issue, are you really trying to justify an issue by exclaiming that another device from the company has the same issue? Really?

You're not really helping your own case for my "zero thinking ability." lol

I would rather not be a sheep.

Edit: What really makes me think ... why didn't Apple just use the "you're holding it wrong" excuse? Yes, it is a little tacky using it twice in two years but still. If the back of the iPad is a heatsink and you're not technically suppose to touch/hold by the heatsink, then we are all holding the device wrong. Although, there is no other place to actually hold the device so it would be more of "you're not suppose to actually hold the device." Directions: Place iPad on table. Do not touch. END
    Last edited by Pyro2008; 03-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro2008 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-27-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How does Apple allowing the device to be plugged in for as long as you like have anything to do with an incorrect 100% charge indication WAY ahead of when it actually is charged?

If it is discharging and recharging then it should fluctuate between 99 and 100%......not display that it is fully charged 2 hours ahead of schedule. That sounds like some sort of programming error and a bull**** explanation to try and justify it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-27-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why are so many quick to Apple's defense? An overpriced device, behind the curve with a huge profit margin. Honestly, Apple products are becoming more of crap painted in gold than actual gold.

As far as returning, that was done promptly and this year I am going to weigh my options better. More than that, if I take the app store/current purchases out of the equation, it's a no brainer that they are way behind the curve.

Really? So I have "zero thinking ability" because I returned the product refusing to cave into the Apple mentality? How about not using a backing material without a high heat transference? Not one person testing the product noted uncomfortable heat? Furthermore, why should I have to buy additional products just to comfortably use an already expensive device?

Regardless whether the iPhone 4s has the same issue, are you really trying to justify an issue by exclaiming that another device from the company has the same issue? Really?

You're not really helping your own case for my "zero thinking ability." lol

I would rather not be a sheep.
    +1. Apple kind of sucks in many ways, to say the least.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lfecefl For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-27-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good Grief - whats wrong with Apple, have they not yet understood that 100% means 100% and not 95% or what have you. Along with all the other many i products they seem to live in a world of their own without a care about things that matter.

For goodness sake Apple get a grip and get down to some proper design that works first time and not pushed out just to grab money and sod the end user (we will update the software at a later date that suits us and not you)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clive.weller For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-27-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    How does Apple allowing the device to be plugged in for as long as you like have anything to do with an incorrect 100% charge indication WAY ahead of when it actually is charged?

If it is discharging and recharging then it should fluctuate between 99 and 100%......not display that it is fully charged 2 hours ahead of schedule. That sounds like some sort of programming error and a bull**** explanation to try and justify it.
    Exactly!

Thanks

Look I combat high profit margin and **** quality with simply not buying or returning things that I don't think are worth it. Crying and complaining while still keeping said device is not the best way to prove a point. I actually had an iPad 2 that I sold and bought the 3 without spending much at all and for me the high res screen was worth it, it's amazing when using remote desktop...

If I was not happy with the device I would be happy to have an extra $500 in my pocket. The battery life of an iPad is pretty damn long. Charging the damn thing once overnight lasts me 2 days minimum and about a week+ average. So even if it took 2 extra hours to fully charge the thing (which no one really tests properly to see if they get a longer batter life with different charging methods) why even worry if you can simply charge it over night once.

They are doing what they can with current tech... I'm sure once smaller processor die sizes is available the next iPad will use it and be cooler, till then if you don't like it you still have your options and you should probably use it if it bothers you so much (*you as in people complaining, no just you).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is overdoing the "reality distortion field". For apple, 90% = 100%. Sheesh!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm pretty positive at least my iPad has a battery charging issue. I spoke with Apple to finally result in them requesting me to ship them my iPad (because of personalization) so their developers could take a look at it. It takes me almost 24 hours to charge to 100% from a dead battery.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    Lol
    Rofl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Natedawgster View Post

rofl
    Last edited by BhadKarma; 03-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pissed because my iPad breaks when I drop it. This makes Apple a terrible company. Now I'm calling it crackgate. Also I'm kinda high right now.

Thanks

I typically enjoy the products I buy... Apple or otherwise. I'm all for justifying a purchase or whatnot, but seriously... These capes being donned in Apple's defense everytime anyone says ANYTHING other than how magical Apple is - quite annoying.

I'm not having any issues with my new iPad, but that doesn't mean I have to be blind to obvious things. Yes, the battery charging explanation makes sense, but I agree that Apple should STILL have an accurate reading... designed slow-trickle or no. Yes, this thing is considerably warmer than its predecessor... not enough (for me) to complain about, but definitely alarming to some - especially if they're coming from the iPad 2, which didn't heat up at all. (ironically, I found the cooler device a bit more uncomfortable to hold sans case on cooler days/nights than this one)

Apple is starting to be one of those things where, like some sports teams, I don't hate THEM - it's the "fans" I loathe... kinda like the Lakers, Cowboys, or Yankees.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

Whoever said Apple is "obviously behind the curve" is a moron.

EVERY SINGLE tablet outside of the iPad series was modeled on the original iPad.

How can apple be behind a curve they create.

And to those who say they are over-priced for their hardware and actual specs, across all platforms, not just iPads.... Your also just ridiculous. Yes I can make a 600$ pc that blows an iMac away spec wise, I can drop 20k under the hood of a mustang and smoke lambos and ferraris but I want the lambo/iMac/iPad they are overall just "better" products.

And if your going to bash apple products, why are you on ModMy I...