+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Thermal Scans of Tablets May Put iPad 'Heatgate' to Rest

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Less than one week after the new iPad began reaching consumers earlier this month, murmurs about the first "gate" had already begun. Unlike "Antennagate," which consumed more digital ink than
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default New Thermal Scans of Tablets May Put iPad 'Heatgate' to Rest

Less than one week after the new iPad began reaching consumers earlier this month, murmurs about the first "gate" had already begun. Unlike "Antennagate," which consumed more digital ink than I care to be reminded about, it looks like "Heatgate" will - fortunately - end just as quickly as it began.

On the heels of reports that the new iPad reaches surface temperatures of 116 degrees during gameplay, some grew concerned that the third-generation iPad was at risk for overheating. No shortage of thermal tests proved that the new iPad does, indeed, run hotter than previous generations.

While that's a fact, here's another fact here... the new iPad can handle those temperatures just fine. And so can many other tablets. PCWorld has not only been monitoring the new iPad's temp, it's also bee monitoring how hot competing tablets like the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 also get.

All performed within a few degrees of one another. And the new iPad was shown to run no more than 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the iPad 2. As a result, chalk up yet another case study where Heatgate has been disputed, disproved, and largely discredited.

Source: PC World

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would just like to mention this, so others can try it. when I got my "new ipad", I also noticed that it got very hot, and also noticed that the battery was draining very rapidly when I played games or watched video. Being the long time iOS user and iDevice owner that I am, I proceeded to download a fresh copy of 5.1, and then restored the ipad myself with the firmware.

The battery drains much slower and the ipad is not getting as hot. I think it will work for most anyone that will try it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukinrats View Post
    I would just like to mention this, so others can try it. when I got my "new ipad", I also noticed that it got very hot, and also noticed that the battery was draining very rapidly when I played games or watched video. Being the long time iOS user and iDevice owner that I am, I proceeded to download a fresh copy of 5.1, and then restored the ipad myself with the firmware.

The battery drains much slower and the ipad is not getting as hot. I think it will work for most anyone that will try it
    I will try that. Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I would get the new ipad regardless of heat problems but the price for the 16Gb is too high, and it is not enough space for a tablet.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe people will now stop asking me how if my new iPad gets hot! Getting old!

I also thinkg it should be called ThermalGate.

Thanks

the heat is an added feature, strap that baby on your chest on a cold day and your all set
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

People need to ******* quit putting "Gate" at the end of any "issue". There isn't some big huge heat scandal, the antenna wasn't some big huge scandal, the yellowing of some iPhone 4 screens, ect.

Just needs to stop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weeslo View Post
    People need to ******* quit putting "Gate" at the end of any "issue". There isn't some big huge heat scandal, the antenna wasn't some big huge scandal, the yellowing of some iPhone 4 screens, ect.

Just needs to stop.
    wow those stars look like you was "Profanity-Gating" ! thats a huge thing here
    /sarcastic joke

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    wow those stars look like you was "Profanity-Gating" ! thats a huge thing here
    /sarcastic joke
    Haha sorry, just annoying. My favorite was "GlassGate". This just in: an all glass phone breaks if you drop it 4 feet down to the concrete. Scandal! GlassGate! How dare they sell glass that's breakable...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weeslo View Post
    Haha sorry, just annoying. My favorite was "GlassGate". This just in: an all glass phone breaks if you drop it 4 feet down to the concrete. Scandal! GlassGate! How dare they sell glass that's breakable...
    lol i know the feeling

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheBeastSS2's Avatar
    Thanks

i just wanted to stop in here because i saw the term ___gate and it ALWAYS bugs me when people use that lol. Like 'spygate" with the New England Patriots, or "bountygate" with the New Orleans Saints, or in this case "Heatgate" and "thermalgate". People add the suffix "gate" after a word to describe some sort of a scandal or controversy. They use it because of The Watergate Scandal. The Watergate was the name of the business complex. They didn't add the word GATE to Water. It IS the name of the building...so when media and people say ___gate this and ___gate that, they are completely butchering the name. So the rough translation of all these "scandals" that people refer to are as follows: spy, bounty, heat, and thermal. Gate doesn't belong on the end of these words because...well its incorrect lol. Sorry for the rant.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeastSS2 View Post
    i just wanted to stop in here because i saw the term ___gate and it ALWAYS bugs me when people use that lol. Like 'spygate" with the New England Patriots, or "bountygate" with the New Orleans Saints, or in this case "Heatgate" and "thermalgate". People add the suffix "gate" after a word to describe some sort of a scandal or controversy. They use it because of The Watergate Scandal. The Watergate was the name of the business complex. They didn't add the word GATE to Water. It IS the name of the building...so when media and people say ___gate this and ___gate that, they are completely butchering the name. So the rough translation of all these "scandals" that people refer to are as follows: spy, bounty, heat, and thermal. Gate doesn't belong on the end of these words because...well its incorrect lol. Sorry for the rant.
    gateception. problem?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    All performed within a few degrees of one another. And the new iPad was shown to run no more than 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the iPad 2. As a result, chalk up yet another case study where Heatgate has been disputed, disproved, and largely discredited.
    Right. Because case studies always trump real-world use.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no "heatgate" end of story! The name is stupid anyway...

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheBeastSS2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    gateception. problem?
    Fgate Offgate

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeastSS2 View Post
    Yes, THIS. Exactly. Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wonder if that 70% battery size increase just to power the Retina display has anything to do with avoiding scorching temps. O.o

I also find it curious that an earlier article on here claimed that the retina display needs 30% more power, but yet the battery is 70% larger and the surf times on wifi are exactly the same as the previous model.
    Last edited by RICO_; 03-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Heat Gate .... Really !!! That's what were going with!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Wonder if that 70% battery size increase just to power the Retina display has anything to do with avoiding scorching temps. O.o

I also find it curious that an earlier article on here claimed that the retina display needs 30% more power, but yet the battery is 70% larger and the surf times on wifi are exactly the same as the previous model.
    Did you forget that display needs 2 more GPU cores to run the graphics smoothly? 40% more seems about right for that purpose.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Did you forget that display needs 2 more GPU cores to run the graphics smoothly? 40% more seems about right for that purpose.
    So what happens when they decide to run a quad-core or upgrade the GPU on a future model? Does the battery life on these iDevices just continue to drop? Because that's exactly what it seems like is happening.

I still don't understand how a 70% battery size increase offers no surf-time improvement. Does surfing the web put any kind of significant load on the GPU? I understand the gaming aspect.....but I'm just talking about web surfing and casual usage of the device.