+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Rejecting Apps That Access UDID, Sends Some Devs Scrambling

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Way back in August of last year Apple notified developers that it would eventually stop allowing apps to access UDIDs (identification numbers unique to each iDevice). Now, Apple has started
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Begins Rejecting Apps That Access UDID, Sends Some Devs Scrambling

Way back in August of last year Apple notified developers that it would eventually stop allowing apps to access UDIDs (identification numbers unique to each iDevice). Now, Apple has started rejecting apps that access UDIDs and some developers are scrambling for a solution.

According to Tech Crunch, under pressure from lawmakers and the media Apple is moving ahead of schedule in its deprecation of UDIDs. Under normal conditions it can take more than a year to deprecate features as developers need ample time to find solutions and rework their apps.

TechCrunch reported a few weeks ago that Apple told some of the larger mobile-social devs to move away from UDIDs. But, Playhaven, a company that helps developers (more than 1,200) monetize their apps, claims that several of its customers have had apps rejected in the last week.

TechCrunch's sources claim that 2 of the 10 app review teams started rejecting apps based on their access of UDIDs this week. Next week that number jumps to 4 of 10 and so on till all 10 teams are rejecting apps that access UDIDs.

The biggest impact will be on mobile ad networks that track users from app to app and use the information to better understand how users respond to ads. But, the widespread privacy concerns associated with unfettered access to UDIDs appears to pale in comparison to developer inconveniences in Apple’s opinion.

Honestly, it’s tough to feel bad for those scrambling to implement workarounds 7 months after the planned changes were announced, especially when user privacy is involved.

Source: TechCrunch

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Well nhl gamecenter devs, get to working. It always kinda scared me when i saw that big ole number in an app aside from cydia
    (null)

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

wouldn't identifying UDIDs help crack down on piracy?

Thanks

We knew it was coming ... Or at least I did. I read this months ago and although it didn't affect me, per say; I would have had ample time to figure a solution out before today

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why would such identifiable info about consumer devices be given out in the first place

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony iPhone For This Useful Post:

szr (03-27-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah UDID is way to specific. There are other methods of tracking that are not as detailed as UDID is.

A. If apple continues UDID in the next moth we will hear "oh look apple s apps are insecure the can obtain UDID

B. Oh great now apple took away something that I found useful

Both ways apple gets criticized

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apples one main concern was to keep their products secure but instead and ruin that and let developers and iAds have access to info that can track our every movement. They should of never let them have that kind of info.
    Apple really screwed up on that one.
    Last edited by Anthony iPhone; 03-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hooray for apple! i'm tired of having to manually delete those tracking bugs. 5.1 no longer has awd_ice. Flurry, you're next!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that's why I use a firewall, i don't let apps call home.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    that's why I use a firewall, i don't let apps call home.
    Amen Brother!

This - ModMyi.com | Firewall iP
    Plus
    This - ModMyi.com | Protect My Privacy

Equals no worries. Sayin...

PS Oh, and for those interested, don't be weasels. Pay for the damn firewall. RR (aka Yllier) is one of the BEST JB devs around!!
    Last edited by Lohand; 03-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lohand For This Useful Post:

toomas (03-30-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    How so?

Thanks

Glad i spoof my UDIDs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPili View Post
    How so?
    Some apps like Beejive starting using the UDID years ago to blacklist an iPhone from it's servers if it's connecting through a cracked version of the app. That's why there no longer exists cracked version of Beejive because once you're blacklisted, even if you purchase the app it won't work unless you email Beejive with your UDID and iTunes receipt. I'm sure there are other apps that do the same.

Thanks

Good now it'll make magicjack rewrite their app! I had to wait for the iPad (New) cause my iPad 2 I messed up on and got a free number, but when the magicjack came to my house n I set it up I couldn't use it's number on my iPad 2, the dill holes (magicjack support) told me to buy a new device! Arrg! So now if the guy I sold it to wants to use a different number he can't! This is all because of the unique UDID# thanks apple! Question is now they will have to tie it some other way?

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

SO glad this is happening. I have a social networking app that actually creates an account that is specific to your UDID; and, while I can always spoof my original, I''ll be glad I won't have to do this for the future. I'd rather be tied to an e-mail and login ID instead of my UDID.

What's Jailbreak? frogpocalypse's Avatar
    Thanks

How devs can make a new identifier:
    Just use the WiFi MAC address. This is actually harder to spoof than the UDID in iOS5+ (at least for now)

How devs can make a new identifier that keeps the same length so they don't have to change their backend so much:
    SHA1 of the WiFi MAC address

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony iPhone View Post
    Apples one main concern was to keep their products secure but instead and ruin that and let developers and iAds have access to info that can track our every movement. They should of never let them have that kind of info.
    Apple really screwed up on that one.
    No more than Android did, I guess the only real difference is that Android apps "ask" for permissions first and you can decline.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Glad i spoof my UDIDs
    How do ya do that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Amen Brother!

This - ModMyi.com | Firewall iP
    Plus
    This - ModMyi.com | Protect My Privacy

Equals no worries. Sayin...

PS Oh, and for those interested, don't be weasels. Pay for the damn firewall. RR (aka Yllier) is one of the BEST JB devs around!!
    So are these essentially the same? Should I have one over the other or both?
    I Love My 4s white
    p.s. Dont Forget To Thank Those Helpful People Out There!!

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    The problem is, that only works if you could guarantee that someone never changes devices (whether from upgrading or getting a replacement, or have multiple devices), which you can't. Second, it's not impossible to spoof the UDID in order to fool programs. This is a practice some people have been doing with games that associate their online progress with just their UDID, instead of using a proper log-in system.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpocalypse View Post
    How devs can make a new identifier:
    Just use the WiFi MAC address. This is actually harder to spoof than the UDID in iOS5+ (at least for now)

How devs can make a new identifier that keeps the same length so they don't have to change their backend so much:
    SHA1 of the WiFi MAC address
    Actually using SHA* or MD5 sums as unique identifiers is not a good idea, as they all have the potential for collisions (that is, given a large enough pool of MAC addresses, it's entirely possible for one to have the same sum as another.)
    Last edited by szr; 03-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.