+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad Reportedly Showing Inaccurate Battery Levels while Charging

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
A recent report claims that the third-generation iPad continues to draw a significant amount of wattage after displaying a “100%” battery level. The device actually finishes its charging cycle roughly
    Thanks

Default New iPad Reportedly Showing Inaccurate Battery Levels while Charging

A recent report claims that the third-generation iPad continues to draw a significant amount of wattage after displaying a “100%” battery level. The device actually finishes its charging cycle roughly two hours after “prematurely reporting” a full charge. The report comes from a follow-up test by DisplayMate President Dr. Raymond Soneira.

The findings have not been corroborated and therefore may not reflect all third-generation iPads. It seems that the problem is not hardware related and has to do with the devices programmed charge rate. Soneira found that the iPad continued to draw 10 watts of electricity for two hours after indicating 100% charge, then began to reduce power for an additional ten minutes until a decline in power draw signaled the end of the charging cycle. The following explanation was offered by Soneira:

The charge indicator on all mobile devices is based on a mathematical model of the charge rates, discharge rates, and recent discharge history of the battery. It uses this information to estimate how much running time is left. It's actually rather difficult to do because most batteries degrade slowly as they discharge and then tend to surprise with a precipitous decline near the end.
    He continued by saying that there might be a fault in the battery charge mathematical model in the new iPad as the indicator shouldn’t be reading 100% until it’s power draw switches from 100 watts until about a charge of 1 watt.
    Apple boasts that despite the new iPad’s power hungry components, the third-generation iPad’s battery life is similar to that of the iPad 2. The claims were based on a fully charged unit and the newly-discovered indicator issue can confuse customers into thinking their device isn’t performing up to advertised standards.

Apple launched the latest iPad on March 16 and announced on Monday that unit sales reached 3 million over the launch weekend. The Cupertino California company continues its fastest international iPad rollout ever as the tablets went on sale in an additional 25 countries and territories.

Source: DisplayMate

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Not a problem as long as you know about it and I'm sure it will be fixed with the next update. In still waiting for mine should be a good improvement over my iPad 1

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

this iPad 3 battery is a b.tch! just got back from a five and a half hour shift at work, and it's only jumped up 48%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

so let me get this straight the new ipad has battery charging proble
    s, battery overheating problems, weak wifi reception and what else? is that it for now?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the new iPad. I have been googling because I have this battery issue. When I plug it in, it will charge for a while and then once it gets around 88% it says 'not charging'. If I do a hard reboot I get it to continue, but then it stops around 92%. If I unplug it and plug it back in it then says its 100%, but as soon as I pull the plug out it says 90-somthing again. It obviously has no idea when its fully charged. Its kind of annoying me. I don't know if I should leave it charging for a couple hours even though it thinks its done or let it deplete to 0% and fully charge to 'recalibrate' as some posts have suggested.

PS - Wifi seems fine, no heat issues, although I don't play a lot of hardcore games on it.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

It's amazing this thing ever made it out of QA.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    It's amazing this thing ever made it out of QA.
    Sell apple shares!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The battery life on mine is abysmal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    I have the new iPad. I have been googling because I have this battery issue. When I plug it in, it will charge for a while and then once it gets around 88% it says 'not charging'. If I do a hard reboot I get it to continue, but then it stops around 92%. If I unplug it and plug it back in it then says its 100%, but as soon as I pull the plug out it says 90-somthing again. It obviously has no idea when its fully charged. Its kind of annoying me. I don't know if I should leave it charging for a couple hours even though it thinks its done or let it deplete to 0% and fully charge to 'recalibrate' as some posts have suggested.

PS - Wifi seems fine, no heat issues, although I don't play a lot of hardcore games on it.
    Make sure your USB cable is plugged DIRECTLY into either the supplied 10watt charging brick or a USB port on your Mac. USB trees and extensions and the iPhone/Pod charging bricks will not allow your iPad to charge properly.
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

Thanks

Sounds like only certain people are having problems because mine has ran smooth with absolutely no problems. It charged while worked for 4 hours up to 100% now correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that it takes a full 9 hours to charge from scratch..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just visited the apple store because I'm also having battery issues. It took me at least 24 hours to get a full charge. It was dead one night after fairly long usage. So I plugged it in to charge over night. In the morning I've only got 34% battery life. Changed to a different plug when I woke up and lightly used my iPad for the iTunes remote feature throughout the day and by evening I was at about 75%. I plugged it in again overnight and when I woke up it was FINALLY at 100%. Took it in to the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic on it. They said they saw a lot of apps crashing and a high usage time. So they suggest I restore as a new iPad and test to see if the problem continues. If I'm still having issues they'll swap it out for me. Sucks that I've had it a week and already have issues, but at least Apple is standing by their warranty without much issue.

Also I've noticed mine running hot after mild usage, not much gaming. Also slightly getting effected by the wifi issue...I think I got a dud.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

My new iPad was plugged in overnight yet still showed 98% only. Unplugged it, plugged in again and it showed 100%. So something is wrong.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

My findings from reading about The New iPad problems:

Giant Retina Display = Problems.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

Already figured this out as my new iPads battery would drastically decrease as I used it. I could literally watch it almost count down as I used it.
    I then charged it into a 10 watt wall charger and I now have great battery life!

Thanks

I shut down Location Services on a lot of my apps and turned dow nthe brightness on the screen and that has helped a bit. I have a feeling the older apps arent multiprocessor aware.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA, that thing is getting worse and worse...and you get what over the iPad 2...a screen LTE and and a minor cpu bump. ROFL

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

GmAz - Seriously?

Have you even looked at one yet? LOL!

They're so good, I bought 2!

The screen, the camera, the video, 4G, LTE...

It's miles better than the iPad 2.

Thanks
    My Only problem is that my iPad 3 fails at AirPlay.
    Nothing in life is easy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am personally AMAZED by all the issues I've been reading about. I have the 16GB wifi only model ordered on launch day and received on the 16th and have had absolutely NO issues at all with anything. No overheating, no wifi issues, no battery problems, nothing at all. Guess I just got lucky. Sorry to hear so many problems are pooping up for some people.

I will say, to iPad 2 owners, it's not really THAT big of an overall difference. I mean the retina display is very nice, but it's not like the iPad 2 screen sucks and this is the most amazing thing ever. It's a nice improvement, but not completely necessary if you are on a tighter income or budget. My 2 cents.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacktarded1 View Post
    I am personally AMAZED by all the issues I've been reading about. I have the 16GB wifi only model ordered on launch day and received on the 16th and have had absolutely NO issues at all with anything. No overheating, no wifi issues, no battery problems, nothing at all. Guess I just got lucky. Sorry to hear so many problems are pooping up for some people.

I will say, to iPad 2 owners, it's not really THAT big of an overall difference. I mean the retina display is very nice, but it's not like the iPad 2 screen sucks and this is the most amazing thing ever. It's a nice improvement, but not completely necessary if you are on a tighter income or budget. My 2 cents.
    Couldn't agree more. I am in the same boat. I didn't get an iPad 2 so I came from the iPad 1 to the iPad 3.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.