Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some Smart Cover Cases Not Working With New iPad

Default Some Smart Cover Cases Not Working With New iPad

The new iPad and the iPad 2 have the same front side dimensions leading most to believe all Smart Covers would work with the new iPad. However, this isnít the case.

The new iPad uses a slightly different magnetic array, which means that some Smart Cover-esque cases that automatically lock and unlock the iPad 2ís screen no longer work with the new iPad. The Apple-branded Smart Covers appear to be working fine. The issue appears to be the result of Apple changing and iPad sensor that was reversed in polarity in the new models.

However, iLounge has attempted to test a number of different third-party Smart Cover-like cases and the results are all over the place.

They are so inconsistent, in fact, that weíve tested a ďthird-generation iPadĒ case in multiple colors that vary in performance by color. The black and brown versions we received for testing work just fine. Gray and red versions donít work at all. Other cases weíve tested seem to work or not work without regard to colors, but manufacturing for many companies is not entirely perfect, and sometimes varies from batch to batch.

Manufacturers have acknowledged the problem and some are willing to replace customers affected by the problem. Itís worth looking into if you plan on using an older Smart Cover-like case with your new iPad.

Source: iLounge

luckily I like black!

Wow, talk about old news.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    Wow, talk about old news.
    If you already knew, why bother reading, and why even comment? Some people didn't know.

Hey, leave it to apple to make sure all compatibility is broken for new systems and old accessories. Lets milk our bastards ^H^H^H^H customers for all they are worth.

My cheap eBay one didn't work. I simply cut out the small single on off magnet and turned it over. Now it works perfect. Apple only made it polarity sensitive which the last one wasn't. Why they did this?

Prob to fight counterfeits.

We all figured that out day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    We all figured that out day 1.
    What's this 'we' crap? Speak for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Hey, leave it to apple to make sure all compatibility is broken for new systems and old accessories. Lets milk our bastards ^H^H^H^H customers for all they are worth.
    so nice to see someone use ^H. Takes me back. Have a good day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrfe For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-23-2012)

Thanks

"Some Smart Cover Cases Not Working With New iPad"

Incredibly deceiving title and picture. 'Smart cover-esqe' and 'smart cover' have nothing to do with each other. The pictured covers are the ones that are made by Apple and the same ones that work. Title probably should be "Some Non-Apple 'Smart Covers' not working on the new iPad."

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantMAC View Post
    If you already knew, why bother reading, and why even comment? Some people didn't know.
    I thought it might be new news, not old news, as if which articles I read and why is any of your business.

My point, which clearly exceeded your ability to comprehend, was not that some people didn't know this but that modmyi should have been aware of this before today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely should change picture. Apple employees confirmed today that all apple brand smart covers are compatible with both. Further, the employees deny reversed polarity rumor. More likely, they say, it's the result that these original smart covers have more magnets than third-party cases (ie, magnets that match both iPad 2 and 3 arrays).

The smart covers are neat but the real "smart" cover for me are the ones the protect the back as well as the front.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Rosetta?