Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: WSJ: iPad 4G LTE is a 'Speed Trap'

  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I'm hoping that the next iPhone will have LTE and that AT&T won't make me change plans to upgrade. I recently bought a Samsung Skyrocket on 4G LTE in the Bay Area - they let me keep unlimited data even though I was switching to their 4G LTE network (which is insanely fast here in the Bay Area right now). I'll never get an iPad with a LTE chip because I carry one around in my pocket all day as it is. Looking forward to tethering my next gen iPhone on LTE with my iPad so AT&T doesn't get double $$.

    As for everyone pointing out how Americans are "whiny" or telling us to "go to a 3rd world country", please stop. America is a 1st world country and is full of people who donate a **** ton of money to poor countries around the world; in excess of what our Government already forks over to countries around the world. Just because there isn't progress everywhere in the world doesn't mean we can't enjoy the freedom to set expectations for companies we hand over our hard earned money to. Get off your high horse already. That there are people in the world who have trouble getting water isn't an excuse to let some American corporations manipulate consumers for their own profit. The two are completely unrelated.

    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I'm sorry, but why would LTE make you eat through your data faster? Its not like having a faster speed downloads more data from the same webpage you viewed on 3G. Its just going to load faster. If you think you suddenly have to start looking at 20 times more webpages because you're on LTE...thats your own problem. If you view the same webpages the same number of times as you did before, you'll use the same amount of data. You just won't have to wait that extra 5-10 seconds for the page to load.

    It also doesn't mean you can stop using wifi either.
    It's really a matter of streaming video, to be honest. A lot of apps have been designed to optimize quality based on bandwidth. On 3G you may have been served a standard definition video (480p) instead of high-def (720p-1080p) because of your bandwidth. On LTE it will serve up the HD quality because bandwidth is so fast.

    Plus, if it takes 10 seconds to load a page on 3G and 2 seconds on LTE, that's an 80% cut in time. That time to download content is re-spent consuming content. So, your argument is somewhat accurate but doesn't take in to account all variables.
    Last edited by jamesgunaca; 03-21-2012 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by icedming View Post
    Unlimited will not happen, This is America land of the GREED. More for me less for you principle, its why we are so great. Lets face it unlimited is gone and Sprint unlimited on Iphone averages about .52 MB per second. That's a little better than throttled Att, I usually get around .32 since the case. The amount of data that it takes to stream HD is astronomical. If everyone was to stream at high rates, who knows it might or might not bog down any one particular network. Lets face it would you take a pay cut once you got to the top just so that you could keep jobs in America that nobody wants anyways because we are lazy. Tim Cook sure would not do that, so why would cellular companies cut their profits so that you could stream unlimited. HAHA your hilarious.
    You're not necessarily wrong, but...... I could see a world where they could actually get more money by giving group plans rather than individual and charging less for more gigs. Currently I have 4 iphones on my company's ATT plan. Mine is unlimited $30. 2 @ $25 for 2gigs per line and 1@ $30 for 3 gigs. Taking into account that my "unlimited" gets throttled at 3 gigs you can figure I pay $110/month for 10 gigs. I would gladly pay $150 for 20 gigs for the entire group. Thats more money for ATT and more gigs for me. Seems it would be a win/win.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lfecefl View Post
    America is full of unthankful, greedy cry-babies who think they deserve everything. Shame.
    Indeed. And they call themselves "corporations". Unfortunately, the majority of the population consists of idiots that are easily brainwashed by those same corporations to believe that we aren't entitled to receive that which they have promised us and for which we have paid.

    How's the kool-aid? Refreshing?

  4. #24
    I think what they really mean is that NEW customers are not realizing how much data they are going through when they decide to watch every March Madness game over LTE. That said, I think we will see the data cap raised, even if only by a gig or two once LTE is on every phone they sell. I use my iPad1 very often, more than my computer, and I have the unlimited plan. There are some months where I go over 2GB in data, but most months I am under that threshold. Also, I have Wifi off most of the time, so I can leave my home network un-congested. Those that are going up to like 10GB a month, what are you doing online? Are you netflixing all day long? At my last job, there were some nights that I watched netflix over 3G like all night, but still would stay well under 2GB. I would be curious, so I would check my usage periodically, not that it mattered since I had unlimited. Once I get my hands on an LTE iPad, I wonder how low my speed would be if/when it is throttled? If they dropped me down to 3G speeds, I would still be a happy camper. Sure I wouldn't be spanking my home connection, but I would still be able to do what I do comfortably.

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    ... Soon it'll be like when ppl were suing McDonalds because they were getting fat from eating there. People will want to sue AT&T because they keep watching more videos on LTE because its so fast. SELF CONTROL!!
    That is perhaps the worst analogy one could apply to this scenario. AT&T is charging you once for your data allotment each month, if you go over, you either pay more or don't use it for the rest of said month. Self control? Yes, we "rack a disciprin" apparently. The sue McDonalds because you're fat analogy? I cannot see how that applies here. If people were suing AT&T because they were suckered into lengthy contracts… wait, nope, still doesn't apply.

    At the end of the day, none of this matters. AT&T sets how much access (essentially) that we have to the web. We go over the limit, we either pay more or GTFO.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Indeed. And they call themselves "corporations". Unfortunately, the majority of the population consists of idiots that are easily brainwashed by those same corporations to believe that we aren't entitled to receive that which they have promised us and for which we have paid.

    How's the kool-aid? Refreshing?
    U no doubt have bought a product from one of these corporations. To say the majority of the American population are idiots highlights how other countries media brainwash against Americans. I could care less what people think of my country because being the big kid on the playground of life always provokes jealousy and malice. Enjoy your day.

  6. #26
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,263
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    That is perhaps the worst analogy one could apply to this scenario. AT&T is charging you once for your data allotment each month, if you go over, you either pay more or don't use it for the rest of said month. Self control? Yes, we "rack a disciprin" apparently. The sue McDonalds because you're fat analogy? I cannot see how that applies here. If people were suing AT&T because they were suckered into lengthy contracts… wait, nope, still doesn't apply.

    That's because you're looking into my comment too deeply....people were suing/blaming McDonalds because they were getting fat from eating their food when actually the person just needed to learn self-control and not eat fast food from them all the time. People will want to sue/blame AT&T because they charge so much for data that when they use up all their data on LTE they will have to pay more for more data. When really the user just needs self-control and not keep watching more stuff on LTE. The point is self-control, it's not that hard to understand unless you're looking into it too deeply, which you were. It was just a quick fun way of connecting the two, so take a chill pill!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

    GranDaddyPurp (03-21-2012)

  8. #27
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts

    Down with Data Limits! Down with Data Limits!

  9. #28
    My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA + Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    600
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 115 Times in 77 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    Can anyone say TRUE "UNLIMITED", "FAST" - DATA PLAN?
    Anyone?
    Yes. That's what I get from the cable company... from a cable, not a wireless device. Until Kirk and Spock come back to the future and show us how to use FTL subspace communication methods this will continue to be a problem.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

  10. #29
    Lol that guy is an idiot. He needs to know streaming video uses the most data. You can't expect to stream a lot of video and have 2 gb be enough. He's just dumb.

  11. #30
    Apple should allow users to "cap" download speeds with software. I've burned through 2 gigs of data in 2 days streaming Netflix for about an hour each day. The quality is amazing, but data usage is off the charts.

  12. #31
    iPhoneaholic indyracer05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts

    In my opinion, Cell phone services like AT&T and Verizon are wayyy overpricing the data amount!! I mean c'mon! its 2012, technology has changed and so has the amount of data used because of the capability the new technology has. This is craaaaaazzzzyyyy for us sooo much money each month for the same amount of data for the past decade. Every few years the plans should change as does the technology. This is BS and people should realize we are being scammed. I agree our plans shouldnt be unlimited at LEAST raise the cap to like 5 or 10 gigs per plan, just sayin'

  13. #32
    People just have to have some restraint and take responsibility for their use. "It's faster so you're gonna want to watch/stream more..." - sorry, that's on you then. Just like with anything else. You get a car that can go 200mph, you're going to keep your driving within limits - occasionally showing off the engine in select, appropriate (or emergency) circumstances, or you're going to concede paying fines and having your license suspended. In the case of an LTE tablet, you'll monitor your use responsibly, or you'll pay outrageous fees and end up with your data being throttled. The carriers aren't obligated to do anything - sure, it would be nice if they did, but yeah... good luck with that. Just because you have access to something doesn't mean you have to (in typical American fashion) abuse it. In this instance, you're paying for it - out the a**, if you're not careful.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

  14. #33
    Unlimited AT&T iPad data plan for me. Thankyouverymuch!

  15. #34
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota, United States
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    See all this AT&T talk makes me glad I am a Verizon customer and have unlimited everything for $45 a month. had it long ago. the thing that Verizon has my respect for is they didn't come back and give me some bull crap about well, unlimited... as a word has been taken in the wrong light... so it is OK for us to "throttle" your ever needed gadgets. no they just took it off the table and still honored the commitment they made.

  16. #35
    Default WI_Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    There's no one to blame except the user, they have control of how much they watch and when/where they watch it. Obviously watching it on wi-fi would be the best solution, but if you can't connect to it for some reason then just control how much you watch while on LTE. It's not that difficult. Soon it'll be like when ppl were suing McDonalds because they were getting fat from eating there. People will want to sue AT&T because they keep watching more videos on LTE because its so fast. SELF CONTROL!!
    Wifi is good option, but with HD content will slow down the network at your house. Example, my att internet is 6MB. If I'm watching hd content on the iPad ,from 6 mb goes down to 3MB, for other devices including my mac. And if i have other, like iPod or iPhone connected it almost impossible to browse the net. And i don't have other option on internet provider other then ATT.
    some times on my mac. I want to watch the apple wwdc, on 1080p and freezes all video long the only video i can watch is 720 with some drops on the speed. If i have the iPad and the mac watching the same video or my kid is using the iPod. we end up canceling the video because pauses a lot.
    My iPhone 4gs its faster then my home internet. I have unlimited data plan but don't want to. pass the cap(3Gigs).By the way, not all content on the web, like youtube has Hd videos , but youtube detects you speed and sends video on HD regardless the video quality.
    Last edited by angel_92701; 03-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.

  17. #36
    My problem is with the cell phone companies with the way they advertise their fast 4G/LTE networks. They show you how you can stream movies, TV, music, etc, anywhere and anywhere fast. But if you try do actually do what they say you can do you'd be paying a lot of money per month in overage charges. They should stop advertising how they have this super fast network until they can actually handle the bandwidth at an affordable price. Personally I wanted to stream baseball games using the MLB app, and I wanted to do this everyday at work. My employer has the Internet on our work computers locked down. So I tried to do this with my iPad 2 and a Verizon 4G MiFi. Well, it turns out that streaming one baseball game can easily burn through 2-3GB of data. Cell companies are not ready for prime time when it comes to providing high speed connections to the masses, and until they are they need to stop advertising like its something we can all do.

    I want true unlimited unthrottled fast Internet! How much would you be willing to pay for that?

  18. #37
    At least LTE works for the new iPad in the US/Canada. Great to be in Australia and most of the other international 4G countries who utilise the other LTE frequencies like 1800mhz! Thanks Apple for only considering the home market with the lack a of tri-band 4G LTE chipset. Let me guess, the next iPad will miraculously contain said tri-band chipset! Glad to know my 6gig plan will be more than enough if I do buy one as a result lol. But hey might just stay with the iPad 1!

  19. #38
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    I might not live long enough to see it but something will give. U can't just keep ripping people off for a profit.

  20. #39
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,263
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by angel_92701 View Post
    Wifi is good option, but with HD content will slow down the network at your house. Example, my att internet is 6MB. If I'm watching hd content on the iPad ,from 6 mb goes down to 3MB, for other devices including my mac. And if i have other, like iPod or iPhone connected it almost impossible to browse the net. And i don't have other option on internet provider other then ATT.
    some times on my mac. I want to watch the apple wwdc, on 1080p and freezes all video long the only video i can watch is 720 with some drops on the speed. If i have the iPad and the mac watching the same video or my kid is using the iPod. we end up canceling the video because pauses a lot.
    My iPhone 4gs its faster then my home internet. I have unlimited data plan but don't want to. pass the cap(3Gigs).By the way, not all content on the web, like youtube has Hd videos , but youtube detects you speed and sends video on HD regardless the video quality.
    I completely understand that and I know it's hard with AT&T breathing down our necks about using a ton of data (even though it's "unlimited"), so our options are limited. Using wi-fi when possible (even if it slows down the network) is still the best option in my mind. Especially if you don't want AT&T slowing down your speeds cause you used too much data.

  21. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Remember all the crap Apple got for not making the 4S LTE? Now they have an iPad LTE, let's give them more hate for making it too fast.

    Pathetic.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I completely understand that and I know it's hard with AT&T breathing down our necks about using a ton of data (even though it's "unlimited"), so our options are limited. Using wi-fi when possible (even if it slows down the network) is still the best option in my mind. Especially if you don't want AT&T slowing down your speeds cause you used too much data.
    I got the Verizon new IPad, and I find that popping in my 4S SIM gets me the data I need without spending any more money. Now all we need is to see if we can just plug in the new APN info for AT&T and see if that's enough to get you LTE or if they do some other check -- and how/if it show up on my iPhone bill...
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 03-22-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •