+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports: New iPad Reaches 116 Degrees During Gameplay

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The new iPad is the hottest tablet in the world. Literally. As MMi reported earlier Tuesday, a fleet of complaints and concerns have pelted Apple Support Discussion forums in recent
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Consumer Reports: New iPad Reaches 116 Degrees During Gameplay

The new iPad is the hottest tablet in the world. Literally.

As MMi reported earlier Tuesday, a fleet of complaints and concerns have pelted Apple Support Discussion forums in recent days following initial claims that the third-generation iPad gets much, much hotter than the iPad 2.

According to several user tests and blogger experiments around the world, it was repeatedly shown that the new iPad does, indeed, run hotter than its predecessor. But it wasn't until Tuesday afternoon when Consumer Reports weighed in on the matter that the heat was really turned up on Apple's new tablet.

The new iPad can run significantly hotter than the earlier iPad 2 model when running an action game, Consumer Reports testers have found.
    During gameplay of Infinity Blade II, the venerable publication reports, "the back of the new iPad reached temperatures as high as 113 degrees Fahrenheit." When plugged in, the temp spiked further to 116 degrees. "The hottest areas weren't evenly distributed throughout the iPad's back, but were concentrated near one corner of the display," the report reads.

Although some are quick to assume that the new tablet may be plagued by overheating problems, there's no reason yet to think that the new iPad isn't adequately build to withstand the operating rigors some users are putting the device through as we speak.

Regardless, we will keep you posted on this developing concern as more news, insight, and information surfaces.

Source: Consumer Reports

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well that just means the new iPad can also be used as a hand/lap warmer! Maybe the next iPad will be able to cook an egg..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i used my iphone 4s as a personal hotspot during class for my ipad and my iphone was on fire!! (not really, just beyond hot)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

It's probably because of the processor. Processors of that degree can get very hot. I don't think it's anything to be concerned over.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Apple, but I have learned to never purchase there products as soon as they are released. Maybe there obsession with secrecy has a part to play with what continuously seems to be inadequate R and D, but I expected there to be issues with this i pad. I mean, the I phone 4 with its proximately and antenna problems, the 4s with its "muted" call and battery drain issues, the i phone 3g as a whole, and now this. Im will most likely stay with my I pad 2 and its major "light seepage" issue. I don't care for an abnormally hot device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Well that just means the new iPad can also be used as a hand/lap warmer! Maybe the next iPad will be able to cook an egg..
    I know it's off topic, but you just named the iPad 4. It will be "The Next iPad"

Now on topic: I am glad I decided to stick with my iPad 2. I don't really play games on my iOS devices (save for Chrono Trigger lately) so I'm not sure if I'd be affected anyway, but it would be an issue I'd be annoyed by.
    -FBIRyuJin

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I've read more about this, it's just stupid! People are actually calling it heatgate...which is the dumbest thing ever! Our body temperature is hotter than what the iPad is getting up to! And it's not even happening to everyone, just some people when they're doing a lot of downloading. All devices do this. Just tuck it under your bed sheets and have it keep you warm at night.

Thanks

I wonder how it compares to the other iOS devices.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I've read more about this, it's just stupid! People are actually calling it heatgate...which is the dumbest thing ever! Our body temperature is hotter than what the iPad is getting up to! And it's not even happening to everyone, just some people when they're doing a lot of downloading. All devices do this. Just tuck it under your bed sheets and have it keep you warm at night.
    The human body's temperature is hotter than the new I pad. Lol.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Since when do we measure heat on electronics in F?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The new iPad is the hottest tablet in the world. Literally.LOOOOLLLLLLLL

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't care if it gets hot, I've felt it before but it doesn't matter. Seriously, just because it gets hot shouldn't affect if you buy it or not and why do people complain if it's hot? It's not like it burns them and they get burns...
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Banned
    Thanks

Defective antennae on the iPhone 4., defective battery (among other issues) on the iPhone 4S., apps that crash 75% more on iOS than Android and now flaming hot pancakes--I mean iPads.

What's next?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Defective antennae on the iPhone 4
    You forgot proximity issues for some on iPhone 4 (quite a few have it, I am one of them).
    Also home button some times do not work on my iPad 2.

All of the problem mentioned above is not R&D problems except for antennagate and this heat issue, they are actually quality control issues because if it is R&D everyone would have the same problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

At first i was like WOW WTF, then i realized, that it's Fahrenheit... People, not all are from US. Use SI units at least in brackets, pls?

116F during play is a lol. Compare it to other gpu's, then make assumptions (that's aimed at haters).
    45C is normal operating temperature of most notebooks, not even under prolonged stress. Given the raw power of those graphic chips, i'm not surprised, though, if the information in the article is correct, iPad's really need a better heat distribution.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

They do this every year when a new iDevice comes out; they complain of how hot it gets, and mention that one random person who's device gets torched while charging.

Things happen; nothing is perfect. Move on.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    they do this every year when a new idevice comes out; they complain of how hot it gets, and mention that one random person who's device gets torched while charging.

Things happen; nothing is perfect. Move on.
    agree!
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well the new iPad is a "hot" item. ;D

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Defective antennae on the iPhone 4., defective battery (among other issues) on the iPhone 4S., apps that crash 75% more on iOS than Android and now flaming hot pancakes--I mean iPads.

What's next?
    You'll make a trolly post?

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    ......iPad's really need a better heat distribution.
    You mean a better heat distributor than a huge aluminum heatsink?
    Last edited by rkswat; 03-20-2012 at 08:02 PM.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is like the days after the iphone 4 release and there were reports of 2 iphones that caught on fire. But considering the size of the battery I think is to be expected. My iphone4 heats up quite a bit with big games like Modern Combat 3 and asphalt 6 after just 10 minutes, and that is not including talking which is worst, but still after a year the phone is fine so i don't think this is really gonna hurt the ipad in any way, and almost every body has a cover that if thick enough it won't let you feel the heat.