+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Customers Have Hard Time Discerning Between iPad 2 and the New iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Apple Customers Have Hard Time Discerning Between iPad 2 and the New iPad

The new iPad, holding the packed pixel density of a retina display, is apparently still hard to discern from the iPad 2, which doesn’t have a retina display. The Next Web held an interesting test outside of their local Apple Store, asking random Apple Store window shoppers and customers which iPad they thought was the new one after being held side by side.

Obviously, either the retina display or the larger circumference of the five-megapixel camera on the rear of the new iPad would be the two easiest ways to discern the new iPad from the older iPad 2 from a quick glance. In this test, the guinea pigs were not exposed to the rear of the new iPad and therefore could not see the new camera. Instead, they were only exposed to the retina display and were asked to tell which screen appeared sharper to them.

In a surprising turn of events, many people pointed out the iPad 2 instead of the new iPad. It’s an interesting set of results, as putting an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS side by side, you can see the screen difference immediately. Perhaps the big difference had to do with the distance from the two tablets to the guinea pigs’ eyes, which would have made seeing pixels in both screens hard to see whether it was a retina display or not. Only a few brave people got really close to the screens to see the difference.

Both screens on the two tablets had exactly the same appearance setup, meaning it was a fair comparison. Why couldn’t people tell between the two? There could be many reasons like, they have not seen the new iPad online to know what’s new about it, or they might not have good enough eyesight to see the difference. Your guess is as good as mine on this one.

Sources: The Next Web

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

They do that in my neighborhood and those iPads would get Jacked!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Apparently a lot of people have crappy eyesight lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    mod edit: do not insult others or use derogatory terms
    Last edited by Simon; 03-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Maybe you should move out of the slums.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Apparently a lot of people have crappy eyesight lol
    Not at all actually, I have perfect 20/20 vision and have both the iPad 2 & the new Ipad.... there is hardly a difference visually, mainly the differences in performance and my "New iPad" gets warm very quickly.

To be honest, I'm actually thinking about sticking with my iPad 2
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't own the new ipad but from what I've seen, wouldn't you need to show an actual webpage with text and pictures loaded to utilize the new retina display? I mean i feel like just showing the homescreen won't put the retina display to it's intended use. I could be wrong though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Not at all actually, I have perfect 20/20 vision and have both the iPad 2 & the new Ipad.... there is hardly a difference visually, mainly the differences in performance and my "New iPad" gets warm very quickly.

Really? I'm gonna have to compare the two side by side when I get home (just got my new iPad today). I could definitely tell a difference when I first saw the new one (or maybe its all in my head lol).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have 20/15 vision, and can't really see the pixels in the ipad2 unless I make an effort. Hence, what's the point of the retina display? (answer: marketing)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Maybe you should move out of the slums.
    Why? He didn't say he hated it, he just said what would happen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    I have 20/15 vision, and can't really see the pixels in the ipad2 unless I make an effort. Hence, what's the point of the retina display? (answer: marketing)
    You might as well ask yourself whats the point of 1080p tv when I can't see pixels at 720p...

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

... Oh

Edit: I was being blind to that mod edit
    Last edited by BhadKarma; 03-20-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    That's called real life. Not detogatory.
    My hood would track star that stuff
    His post was edited, that isnt what he originally posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recognition View Post
    You might as well ask yourself whats the point of 1080p tv when I can't see pixels at 720p...
    You ever stop to think maybe it's because the home screen your showing has not had any changes to the graphics to make it obvious? Kinda like playing a DVD on your brand new 1080p 3D TV, wont show off the new TV's power untill you put in a Bluray 3D movie created for the TV...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSTRFiNGA View Post
    You ever stop to think maybe it's because the home screen your showing has not had any changes to the graphics to make it obvious? Kinda like playing a DVD on your brand new 1080p 3D TV, wont show off the new TV's power untill you put in a Bluray 3D movie created for the TV...
    This is my thought. What are they showing on the screen for the two? If its the same source and not optimized for the new iPad, of course you won't notice a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post

i have both too, and the difference is so large that i have a real hard time with this article and your claims. Maybe you think you have 20/20 vision? I know i thought my vision was a lot better than it was before i had lasik.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well that is easy to understand considering 99% of Apple users are computer idiots.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This test is just stupid, of course people are not going to be able to tell the difference between the iPad2 and new iPad home screen. Like someone said before you need to create a better test, use a picture downloaded of the net then get them to chose.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post
    i have both too, and the difference is so large that i have a real hard time with this article and your claims. Maybe you think you have 20/20 vision? I know i thought my vision was a lot better than it was before i had lasik.
    Well I'm not alone But to be clear, there is a difference but IMO it's miniscule and not worth upgrading from an iPad 2 if "Retina Display" is your #1 feat. From an iPad 1, definetely but so far the performance is the only thing keeping me on it... it feels like more of a "nice to have" than a "must have".

Quote Originally Posted by PanicAttack View Post
    This test is just stupid, of course people are not going to be able to tell the difference between the iPad2 and new iPad home screen. Like someone said before you need to create a better test, use a picture downloaded of the net then get them to chose.
    The on-board graphic files have been optimized to meet the new display, there is no need to open a browser. Hence why on the iPhone 4+, all image files have been modified to have an @2x.png to meet the resolution.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

When i used my friends ipad 2 a while ago the 1st thing i noticed was the pixels, thats why i woudnt get an ipad 2.. Retina is a must have
    Last edited by snake666; 03-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.