+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Joins Apple in Boasting of Record iPad Sales

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
It's a big day for announcing records. But its not such a big day for providing actual numbers to go along with such lofty claims. On Monday, Apple was first
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default AT&T Joins Apple in Boasting of Record iPad Sales

It's a big day for announcing records. But its not such a big day for providing actual numbers to go along with such lofty claims.

On Monday, Apple was first to confirm record opening weekend sales for the the company's third-generation tablet.
    "We had a record weekend and we're thrilled with it," Apple CEO Tim Cook said during today's conference call. Cook, however, didn't announce any specific sales data.

And what's true for Apple is also true for AT&T. This morning, the carrier said the following:

On Friday, March 16, AT&T set a new single-day record for its iPad sales and activations, demonstrating robust demand for the new iPad on the nation's largest 4G network, covering nearly 250 million people.
    This one sentence posted above constitutes the entire "meat" of this morning's press release from AT&T.

The one-two punch combo of Apple and AT&T making such bold statements that aren't backed by any numbers has frustrated many Apple fans who want to know exactly how history was made over the weekend - history that they were part of as new iPad buyers.

As of this writing, there's no indication of when Apple or its retail partners will reveal sales specifics.

Source: AT&T

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Record-breaking? Sure. That must be why the local Best Buy store here still had a ton of iPads left midway through their business day with no line to pick any up or buy them. And those were not even pre-order units either.

Then I stopped by both Apple retail stores in the afternoon and both had dozens of units of all varieties left. Then I called 3 other Apple stores across the state and none of them were sold out.

No sales figures = No care!
    Last edited by RICO_; 03-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Record-breaking? Sure. That must be why the local Best Buy store here still had a ton of iPads left midway through their business day with no line to pick any up or buy them. And those were not even pre-order units either.

Then I stopped by both Apple retail stores in the afternoon and both had dozens of units of all varieties left. Then I called 3 other Apple stores across the state and none of them were sold out.

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Boy u got a lot of time in Ur hands...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

wow no life

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its probably something like the MOST 4G iPad's sold in one weekend

Because yeah, the best buys and apple stores in my state still have stock, not of every model but there are ipads in every store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Put this in the dictionary under 'loser'.

Thanks

What are all the complaints about? I for one am happy to hear this, because this may finally be the beginning of the end of Apple's new products release ploy of only releasing a very limitied number of items thus creating an Apple Induced product shortage. Not Cool when all you want to do is throw your money at Apple and get the new product. I'm happy that I can walk in to the store and get the new device on opening weekend. That is GREAT!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

or maybe apple, in anticipation of the sales demand, was actually able to manufacture enough of the product to keep up with its buyers. did you try going on the apple website after they released the new ipad? they couldnt keep it from crashing for a whole day because of the people trying to pre order

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There will be ton of New Ipads return back to the stores after 15 or 30 days returning policy expires. Lot of Scalper buyers ordered from Apple online stores or bought as many as they could from retail stores open last friday and put them on craigslist for up to $200 over cost prices. This time all the scalpers got burn, right now you can find the some prices from craigslist go down to even the price cost.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Where do u live "Rico".....Puerto Rico...?
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    WHY IS NOBODY talking about apple's stock PRICE? THEY JUST HIT 600$!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Rico, looks like you hit a sore spot. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Looks like I need to educate a few of the juveniles around here. The reason I was at the Best Buy store was because I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro on Friday.....iPad launch day......because it was on sale for $120 off. Don't believe me....check their website. While I was there I just casually asked the rep how they were doing on their new iPad sales and he almost sounded disgustingly disappointed saying that they were nowhere near sold out.

As for the Apple retail stores....I went there to look for the Level8 laptop backpack for my recently acquired MBP. First store was sold out so I went to the second and luckily they had it. While at the stores I casually asked them about their sales. Same responses. A few die-hards camped overnight....but nothing like the iPhone 4 release. I called the other 3 stores out of curiosity just to see if sales were really that ho-hum. Those three calls took a combined total of 5 minutes.

Exactly what part of that dictates that I have no life or am a "loser"? Is that really the best response you can come up with whenever someone criticizes or expresses an opinion that isn't favored by narrow-minded tunnel-visioned Apple fans such as those of you who criticized me?

I'm afraid you're going to have to do MUCH better than that!

I've owned an iPhone 3G, 4, own a 4S, and now dished out some big bucks on a 15" MBP. So as you can see I am not some troll mindlessly out to diss Apple. I recognize the quality of the good majority of their products. It took me days to finally decide on this MacBook because it was simply the best choice for me and better than any other computer I tested or read about.

So do yourselves a favor and drop the "let's gang up on the Apple critic" bit because it isn't doing you any good. Kthx!

Quote Originally Posted by polarismanak View Post
    or maybe apple, in anticipation of the sales demand, was actually able to manufacture enough of the product to keep up with its buyers.
    Maybe. But how do we know that for sure. If Apple had just released a sales number.....(which I'm pretty sure they know if they know that they had a "record" launch weekend) then it would have been less suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Where do u live "Rico".....Puerto Rico...?
    I was born there, but I don't live there currently. "Rico" was a nickname given to me in boot camp and I just stuck with it.
    Last edited by RICO_; 03-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.