+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chipworks Analyzes A5X and New iPad Components Under Infrared Microscope

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Yesterday iFixit tore down the iPad 3 revealing the new iPad’s A5X processor. Today, Chipworks went a step further by analyzing a number of the components in the new iPad
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chipworks Analyzes A5X and New iPad Components Under Infrared Microscope

Yesterday iFixit tore down the iPad 3 revealing the new iPad’s A5X processor. Today, Chipworks went a step further by analyzing a number of the components in the new iPad under an infrared microscope.

The comprehensive analysis of everything inside the new iPad revealed the A5X is built around Samsung’s 45nm low power architecture CMOS production process. The same architecture is utilized in the A5, and A4 processors found in older Apple devices.

However, the increased 1GB of ram altered the package-on-package design of the new A5X compared to the older A-series chips. The older chips had the processing unit stacked below the LP DDR2 SDRAM, the new A5X design moves the 1GB of RAM to a separate location on the motherboard opposite of the A5X. Also, the A5X die measures 12.82mm x 12.71mm compared to the A5’s 10.01mm x 11.92mm die. The 35% increase in die size of the A5X can likely be attributed to the additional quad-core GPU compared to the A5.

Also, it appears Apple has continued the practice of sourcing memory from multiple suppliers. Chipworks' new iPad uses Samsung LP-DDR2 memory while iFixit’s identical iPad unit utilized Elpida SDRAM.

It’ll be interesting to see what improvements the A6 processor has over the current A5X and if Apple will start releasing new chips alongside new iPhones instead of iPads.

Source: Chipworks [via AppleInsider]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 03-16-2012 at 09:31 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

The next iPhone with have A6 processor. You can take that to the bank and cash it. Now get on the @i0n1c video of the untether jailbreak for iPad 3!! Untethered Jailbreak 5.1 / iPad3,3 / The New iPad untethered jailbroken on day of release - YouTube

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be sweet if the next iPhone had the A6, but I think it'll have the A5X.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Our MuscleNerd post earlier touched on all the available JailBreaks by @i0n1c, the dev team, @chpwn and @phoenixdev. I'll update the post to include @i0n1c's video. Hopefully the new JB moves fast, but the videos and pictures are more bragging rights than actual usable JB tools for the masses. Still awesome though.

*T*
    Thanks

RT if you understood less than half of the article

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope the next iPhone have the A5X processor. If the iPad is Jailbreakable, hopefully the next iPhone will be too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

so what?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

I was really hoping the new iPad would have the A6 and be faster than the iPad 2, but with more hardware running inside.

Oh well :-/

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    The next iPhone with have A6 processor. You can take that to the bank and cash it. Now get on the @i0n1c video of the untether jailbreak for iPad 3!! Untethered Jailbreak 5.1 / iPad3,3 / The New iPad untethered jailbroken on day of release - YouTube
    It's more than likely to have the A5X chip. The A5 is already good enough for what the iPhone requires and the A5X would be a significant upgrade. I see no reason at all why Apple would up the power that much farther beyond what's actually required. That'd drain battery for pretty much no reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

towboattrash34 (03-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    It's more than likely to have the A5X chip. The A5 is already good enough for what the iPhone requires and the A5X would be a significant upgrade. I see no reason at all why Apple would up the power that much farther beyond what's actually required. That'd drain battery for pretty much no reason.
    I agree....

Some people just don't get it.... They are not going to make the iPad into a laptop or some super computer.... It is a Tablet.
    IPhone 5s....
    First MacBook Pro 13" I7 2.8Ghz with win7
    1 rooted Thrive
    08 Chevy 2500HD LTZ
    06 Dyna Lowrider
    40ft Raptor toyhauler