+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad Prompts Bigger Lines Overseas Than in the U.S.

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The masses came out as expected today, as Apple unleashed its third-generation tablet to what most analysts expect to be record-breaking first weekend sales for a new iPad release. And
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default New iPad Prompts Bigger Lines Overseas Than in the U.S.

The masses came out as expected today, as Apple unleashed its third-generation tablet to what most analysts expect to be record-breaking first weekend sales for a new iPad release. And while there were indeed long lines at Apple stores from coast to coast, iPad pandemonium didn't cause many crowd control issues.

According to Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, the lines observed Friday at Apple's stores around New York City were actually smaller than those observed after the iPad 2 launch. But given the more widespread availability of new Apple products through new retail partnerships and even more Apple stores, the shorter lines deceptively conceal the heightened demand associated with this launch.

Munster said that the line in Manhattan at Apple's flagship store was "750 deep" at 8 a.m. local time. Last year, with no pre-orders, the line wasn't that much longer (1,190). This year, Munster actually thought the line would be even shorter than 750.

Published reports, however, have indicated that really long lines were verging on being problematic elsewhere in the world, where supply is more constrained and the number of places to buy a new iPad is dramatically lower. In comparison to the U.S., iPad fever was much more visible today in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.

Source: SF Gate
    Image via poughkeepsiejournal

Green Apple
    Thanks
    "Das neue iPad", so I guess the picture was taken in Germany, anyone knows in which city?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It's in Oberhausen, Germany according to the poughkeepsiejournal link.

I wonder how the lines are here in non-Apple stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I'm seriously considering going by or calling BB just to see if they have any left after work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    It's in Oberhausen, Germany according to the poughkeepsiejournal link.

I wonder how the lines are here in non-Apple stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I'm seriously considering going by or calling BB just to see if they have any left after work.
    The best buy near me in St. Louis MO has plenty of iPads left. I went at 7AM and stood in line, i was 4th in line, about 10 more people showed up, they handed tickets out at 8 and I left. I went back at 12 to pick my iPad up and there were literally hundreds of iPads in cages and no line to purchase.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the back of that guys jacket say 'Samsung Security'? That'd be funny :P

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Walked past the massive Regent Street store in London at 9AM and there was no queue, saw people wandering off the street at 9AM and come out at 9:05 with a new iPad. As reported on other sites there were more Apple staff around than customers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I would guess the iPad 2 sales are going crazy, I don't know if that'll be true though. The price dropped to $399 for new wifi model, and $349 for refurbed, that's pretty darn affordable for an iPad IMO.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NiteStar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keyztolope View Post
    The best buy near me in St. Louis MO has plenty of iPads left. I went at 7AM and stood in line, i was 4th in line, about 10 more people showed up, they handed tickets out at 8 and I left. I went back at 12 to pick my iPad up and there were literally hundreds of iPads in cages and no line to purchase.
    I had the same experience at my local BB here in Charlotte. Showed up at 7:30am and was the 7th person in line. Only 2 more showed up after me. I was VERY surprised at that. They said they expected LOTS more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I just left the Best Buy near my house and they have tons available. I did check out the units that were on display. I will say the screen looks awesome, but its not enough for me to upgrade as I already own an I pad 2 that I barely use. Im holding out for a 15 inch Air

I will add this…If it had Siri, not a assistant, I would most likely of made the purchase. I will wait until the next model is released.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I just left the Best Buy near my house and they have tons available. I did check out the units that were on display. I will say the screen looks awesome, but its not enough for me to upgrade as I already own an I pad 2 that I barely use. Im holding out for a 15 inch Air

I will add this…If it had Siri, not a assistant, I would most likely of made the purchase. I will wait until the next model is released.
    I was hoping the screen would look better for how high resolution it has, but im quite unimpressed with it, theres not a huge difference between it and the ipad 2, maybe someone screwed up making the screens. all in all, not worth the upgrades, quad core gpu will mostly be used up powering the 4 times the resolution, the left over resources will end up making it seem just like an ipad 2 when running higher res apps that barely look better then an ipad 2.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

We went by Wal Mart and arrived at 11:50 just to see if we could get any. Picked up two white (no choice) 16GB wifis ten minutes later. Stopped by best Buy around 10am and picked up two 64GB, one white, one black and returned the 16GB's to Wal Mart. I was pretty underwhelmed with the turnout. I expected having to brave lines, which I have decided to no longer do, which is why we bought the iPad's at WalMart the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    I was hoping the screen would look better for how high resolution it has, but im quite unimpressed with it, theres not a huge difference between it and the ipad 2, maybe someone screwed up making the screens. all in all, not worth the upgrades, quad core gpu will mostly be used up powering the 4 times the resolution, the left over resources will end up making it seem just like an ipad 2 when running higher res apps that barely look better then an ipad 2.
    If you read a lot, its easier on the eye, for sure. Everything else is just icing on the cake. That said, icing is my favorite part of cake anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Zero lines in this part of Japan... SoftBank, Wal-Mart equivalents, and even on base had no lines yesterday, and have plenty still in stock. I don't doubt Tokyo had mass interest, though.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does the security guard / bouncer have "Samsung Security" on the back of his jacket

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Zero Lines and Plenty left at my Local At&t store

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunhillcopper View Post
    Does the security guard / bouncer have "Samsung Security" on the back of his jacket
    Zoom in on your iPhone it says "Samson"