Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New iPad Prompts Bigger Lines Overseas Than in the U.S.

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,822
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default New iPad Prompts Bigger Lines Overseas Than in the U.S.


    The masses came out as expected today, as Apple unleashed its third-generation tablet to what most analysts expect to be record-breaking first weekend sales for a new iPad release. And while there were indeed long lines at Apple stores from coast to coast, iPad pandemonium didn't cause many crowd control issues.

    According to Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, the lines observed Friday at Apple's stores around New York City were actually smaller than those observed after the iPad 2 launch. But given the more widespread availability of new Apple products through new retail partnerships and even more Apple stores, the shorter lines deceptively conceal the heightened demand associated with this launch.

    Munster said that the line in Manhattan at Apple's flagship store was "750 deep" at 8 a.m. local time. Last year, with no pre-orders, the line wasn't that much longer (1,190). This year, Munster actually thought the line would be even shorter than 750.

    Published reports, however, have indicated that really long lines were verging on being problematic elsewhere in the world, where supply is more constrained and the number of places to buy a new iPad is dramatically lower. In comparison to the U.S., iPad fever was much more visible today in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.

    Source: SF Gate
    Image via poughkeepsiejournal

  2. #2
    "Das neue iPad", so I guess the picture was taken in Germany, anyone knows in which city?

  3. #3
    It's in Oberhausen, Germany according to the poughkeepsiejournal link.

    I wonder how the lines are here in non-Apple stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I'm seriously considering going by or calling BB just to see if they have any left after work.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    It's in Oberhausen, Germany according to the poughkeepsiejournal link.

    I wonder how the lines are here in non-Apple stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I'm seriously considering going by or calling BB just to see if they have any left after work.
    The best buy near me in St. Louis MO has plenty of iPads left. I went at 7AM and stood in line, i was 4th in line, about 10 more people showed up, they handed tickets out at 8 and I left. I went back at 12 to pick my iPad up and there were literally hundreds of iPads in cages and no line to purchase.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts

    Does the back of that guys jacket say 'Samsung Security'? That'd be funny :P

  6. #6
    Walked past the massive Regent Street store in London at 9AM and there was no queue, saw people wandering off the street at 9AM and come out at 9:05 with a new iPad. As reported on other sites there were more Apple staff around than customers

  7. #7
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I would guess the iPad 2 sales are going crazy, I don't know if that'll be true though. The price dropped to $399 for new wifi model, and $349 for refurbed, that's pretty darn affordable for an iPad IMO.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by keyztolope View Post
    The best buy near me in St. Louis MO has plenty of iPads left. I went at 7AM and stood in line, i was 4th in line, about 10 more people showed up, they handed tickets out at 8 and I left. I went back at 12 to pick my iPad up and there were literally hundreds of iPads in cages and no line to purchase.
    I had the same experience at my local BB here in Charlotte. Showed up at 7:30am and was the 7th person in line. Only 2 more showed up after me. I was VERY surprised at that. They said they expected LOTS more.

  9. #9
    I just left the Best Buy near my house and they have tons available. I did check out the units that were on display. I will say the screen looks awesome, but its not enough for me to upgrade as I already own an I pad 2 that I barely use. Im holding out for a 15 inch Air

    I will add this…If it had Siri, not a assistant, I would most likely of made the purchase. I will wait until the next model is released.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I just left the Best Buy near my house and they have tons available. I did check out the units that were on display. I will say the screen looks awesome, but its not enough for me to upgrade as I already own an I pad 2 that I barely use. Im holding out for a 15 inch Air

    I will add this…If it had Siri, not a assistant, I would most likely of made the purchase. I will wait until the next model is released.
    I was hoping the screen would look better for how high resolution it has, but im quite unimpressed with it, theres not a huge difference between it and the ipad 2, maybe someone screwed up making the screens. all in all, not worth the upgrades, quad core gpu will mostly be used up powering the 4 times the resolution, the left over resources will end up making it seem just like an ipad 2 when running higher res apps that barely look better then an ipad 2.

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    We went by Wal Mart and arrived at 11:50 just to see if we could get any. Picked up two white (no choice) 16GB wifis ten minutes later. Stopped by best Buy around 10am and picked up two 64GB, one white, one black and returned the 16GB's to Wal Mart. I was pretty underwhelmed with the turnout. I expected having to brave lines, which I have decided to no longer do, which is why we bought the iPad's at WalMart the night before.

    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    I was hoping the screen would look better for how high resolution it has, but im quite unimpressed with it, theres not a huge difference between it and the ipad 2, maybe someone screwed up making the screens. all in all, not worth the upgrades, quad core gpu will mostly be used up powering the 4 times the resolution, the left over resources will end up making it seem just like an ipad 2 when running higher res apps that barely look better then an ipad 2.
    If you read a lot, its easier on the eye, for sure. Everything else is just icing on the cake. That said, icing is my favorite part of cake anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  12. #12
    Zero lines in this part of Japan... SoftBank, Wal-Mart equivalents, and even on base had no lines yesterday, and have plenty still in stock. I don't doubt Tokyo had mass interest, though.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

  13. #13
    Does the security guard / bouncer have "Samsung Security" on the back of his jacket

  14. #14
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Zero Lines and Plenty left at my Local At&t store

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhillcopper View Post
    Does the security guard / bouncer have "Samsung Security" on the back of his jacket
    Zoom in on your iPhone it says "Samson"

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •