+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Walmart Selling New iPad Tonight at Midnight

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Walmart is beating Apple to its own product launch. The retail giant has confirmed that it will begin selling the third-generation tablet tonight at midnight - a full eight hours
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Walmart Selling New iPad Tonight at Midnight

Walmart is beating Apple to its own product launch.

The retail giant has confirmed that it will begin selling the third-generation tablet tonight at midnight - a full eight hours earlier than Apple will begin selling the device at Apple retail stores around the nation.

It should be noted, however, that only 24-hour Walmarts are among those carrying the devices. If your local Walmart closes before midnight, the store will NOT be kept open for the launch. As expected, quantities will be extremely limited, though Walmart isn't saying just how limited.

My calls to Walmart have not confirmed that any other model beside the 16GB Wi-Fi version of the new iPad (black and white) will be available. Scant but unverified reports have suggested that 4G LTE models will not be available at midnight tonight at Walmart. The retailer will, however, also begin selling the 16GB iPad 2 at $399 for the Wi-Fi version.

As of this writing, Sam's Club - which is owned by Walmart - will not participate in the midnight iPad release.

So if Walmart doesn't have the model you're looking for in a few more hours, you'll have to wait until 8:00 a.m. local time Friday, when Apple, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sam's Club, Target, AT&T, and Verizon will also put the new iPad on sale.

Source: Walmart

Thanks
    I am currently sat outside Tesco's 24hr waiting to purchase the iPad3 and I seem to be the only one... Yet people have been queuing in London since Sunday?!

I'm missing something...

Thanks

i am holding my new ipad in my hand (im in Australia) the retina display is useless atm, as non on the apps in the app store have ipad retina display support :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipony View Post
    i am holding my new ipad in my hand (im in Australia) the retina display is useless atm, as non on the apps in the app store have ipad retina display support :-(
    I created an account on this web site just to ask you this question: Doesn't text look a lot better on the new ipad? It would seem that web browsing and reading books would look much better. Updated apps will be awesome but you should get some benefit from day 1 right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I bet my e-books are going to look gorgeous on that thingy.

Thanks
    Always the first new model of Apple products has somthing inside not working, so even i realy like the new ipad but I learn my lesson,

Thanks

Yeah there are a handful of apps that I really want to see updates for soon. I hope at least the native apps look amazing. I'll be getting mine tomorrow at my work...

Quote Originally Posted by joliano24 View Post
    Always the first new model of Apple products has somthing inside not working, so even i realy like the new ipad but I learn my lesson,
    Yeah but considering Apple's return policy it should not be a problem.

Thanks

the text is perfect across all apps in the new ipad, just images, logos, animations etc are still on ipad 2 resolution but i assume that will be all fixed with updates in the near future. Really thought the devs would have had the updates ready by the launch :-/ And there is nothing wrong or faulty with the device who ever mentioned it earlier, just need updates for the apps.

oh and all the preloaded apps are 100% retina display and look crisp :-)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Yeah my Walmart is selling them. Although all iPads we've released we only carried like 4-5 and that was it. So that's how limited

fer
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Australia?
    So, 5 pm in Australia on Today march 15, is 2 am eastern USA time same day or 11 pm march 14 in California. My question is: did they launched the new Ipad a day earlier in Australia? please confirm.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

iPad 2 has been 399 at sams and Walmart for two weeks! Get Em while they're hot!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fer View Post
    So, 5 pm in Australia on Today march 15, is 2 am eastern USA time same day or 11 pm march 14 in California. My question is: did they launched the new Ipad a day earlier in Australia? please confirm.

No that part of the world is further ahead in the day than we are. Check out time zones.

It is 10:36 pm March 15th in central time. Right now it is 2:35 pm March 16th in Australia right now.

So they got their iPad's at max 14 hours ago.

Green Apple
    Thanks

At my walmart here in Virginia, they had 5 iPads (16gb, wifi) that went on sale right at midnight.. I was the 5th one in line!! Loving the new retina display, cant wait for all the apps to be updated...

What's Jailbreak? okiedokieiguess's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got mine from a Walmart in RI and hardly anyone showed up. They had 5 ipads and the fifth person came and got in line at 11:30pm.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liambakerg View Post
    I am currently sat outside Tesco's 24hr waiting to purchase the iPad3 and I seem to be the only one... Yet people have been queuing in London since Sunday?!

I'm missing something...
    did they have them?

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Yeah there are a handful of apps that I really want to see updates for soon. I hope at least the native apps look amazing. I'll be getting mine tomorrow at my work...

Yeah but considering Apple's return policy it should not be a problem.
    i never heard anything about a return for screen/light leaks in the ipad2's but i wonder do the new ones have that issue?
    Last edited by Ghonyx; 03-16-2012 at 04:02 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I went to walmart at 1140, waited in a line as the 30th member for about 20 mins. Got up to the counter with three left, and 4 people ahead. then down to 1 with 2 people left. First of the two has his credit card declined......Still hope..... then the next person sits and looks at the register, then back at me, at the price, then back at me.....He then decides he doesn't want an ATT iPad and walks away. I swiped my card at the already que'd register and walked away happy. THANK YOU WALMART AND THAT MAN WHO WALKED AWAY!!!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brome1030 View Post
    I went to walmart at 1140, waited in a line as the 30th member for about 20 mins. Got up to the counter with three left, and 4 people ahead. then down to 1 with 2 people left. First of the two has his credit card declined......Still hope..... then the next person sits and looks at the register, then back at me, at the price, then back at me.....He then decides he doesn't want an ATT iPad and walks away. I swiped my card at the already que'd register and walked away happy. THANK YOU WALMART AND THAT MAN WHO WALKED AWAY!!!!!!!
    Lol awesome. A new title for your book "the man who walked away" lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default What's wrong with people?!?!
    First off, there will not be a lot of apps that will take advantage of the retina display yet. Why would app developers create apps for a resolution that is not yet released? The product has to come out first, then the apps will follow. What a bonehead!

I too have my new iPad in my hands right now and the display is remarkable. I placed it side by side to my iPad 2 and depending on which app you're looking at makes a huge difference. And it is snappy. Oh, did I mention that I had one lousy bar on AT&T LTE and still got a download speed of 16Mbps! Can't wait till I find 5 full bars of LTE!