+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad: Big Battery, Big Charging Time

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Credit for picture: iFixit When the new iPad was announced by Apple, they showed us a retina display, support for 4G LTE, and Mike Capps from Epic Games stated, "This
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New iPad: Big Battery, Big Charging Time

Credit for picture: iFixit

When the new iPad was announced by Apple, they showed us a retina display, support for 4G LTE, and Mike Capps from Epic Games stated, "This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3," which has now been proven to sport 1GB of memory thanks to a Geekbench benchmark. All of these little things add up to bring us a new necessity – a bigger, better battery. As the picture above shows, the battery in the new iPad is quite large, however it's not too much bigger than the iPad 2 battery.

When the capacity of a battery is increased, it needs more power to fully charge up. The new iPad’s battery has 42 watt-hours, which compares to the iPad 2’s 25 watt-hours – a significant improvement. With that, it’s obvious that it will take much longer to charge up to fill the battery up with the juice it needs to get those impressive battery life standards even on 4G LTE.

The drawback of a longer charging time shouldn’t pose as much of a problem since you can use the device while it’s plugged in. Unfortunately, because it takes so long to charge up, spot charges won’t be very helpful throughout the day as some of us do to try and pump as much juice into the battery as we can before we have to be on our way for the day.

The length of time required to charge up the new iPad is so drastically long (many hours) compared to the iPad 2 that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to leave it on the charger overnight. This probably won’t be a problem for most people since the iPad has an all-day battery life, which molds well with how we use it and charge it.

Sources: MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

The charging time for the new iPad doesn't really bother and matter to me as I always charge all my apple devices overnight so I can use them during the day. However, I hope that the new iPad's battery does last a long time while on wifi; I heard nothing but positive things about the battery life on the iPad 2 and the new iPad, so it shouldn't be a problem at all

Anyways, I seriously cannot wait until I get my very first iPad tomorrow at Best Buy! Im going for the 32GB flavor, black iPad, though white is nice too. This is going to be a new experience for me.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well considering the game consoles don't have screens.....of course the iPad would have a higher resolution. But I sure would like to see the iPad try and handle a game like MW3 or Battlefield 3 on its platform and watch it throw up all over itself trying to keep up with the XBOX 360 or PS3 in that regard......you know.....since apparently we are comparing tablets to gaming consoles now. O.o
    Last edited by RICO_; 03-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So, wouldn't the ipad have a much longer standby time then the previous models? I understand the big battery is to power the screen and processor, but really, a battery jump of that much should mean the standby time would be significantly greater...

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    The charging time for the new iPad doesn't really bother and matter to me as I always charge all my apple devices overnight so I can use them during the day. However, I hope that the new iPad's battery does last a long time while on wifi; I heard nothing but positive things about the battery life on the iPad 2 and the new iPad, so it shouldn't be a problem at all

Anyways, I seriously cannot wait until I get my very first iPad tomorrow at Best Buy! Im going for the 32GB flavor, black iPad, though white is nice too. This is going to be a new experience for me.
    I agree except for mike is being shipped a on it's way to my house. I got the bigger one wifi and it also my first iPad. I'm excited also!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Jealous.....That's all I have to say.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, if you just charge your iPad overnight then it really shouldn't be a problem. I know sometimes you want to charge something up real quick before you leave but it sounds like with the new iPad that won't really help. The only thing I've really noticed had a good quick charge was an iPod anyway. Enjoy your new iPad! I'm extremely jealous that you're getting one, I'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks

Can't wait till tomorrow, had mine shipped to work so I'll be very busy. "Please hold all my calls...... What's that you say I don't have a secretary? Damn..."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3
    I dunno about the Xbox 360 or PS3 being used at Apple, but mine doesn't have a screen...

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

The Verge review said they were getting the standard 10 hours on wifi. I was shocked to hear that they were getting a massive 9 hours on lte. so as long as overnight charging isn't an issue, people aren't going to be letdown by battery life. I've got to hand it to apple when it comes to battery life on their devices. I ditched my iphone for a galaxy nexus, and while the battery gets me through the day, its still close enough to where i feel compelled to spot charge when i can just to be sure. That was never the case with any iphone i've owned in the past. But my OG iPad has seen almost no drop off in battery life and i will have been using it pretty heavily for two years by late april-early may.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

In my opinion, charging time should never be a problem since you can just charge your device overnight or while you sleep.

Thanks

Oh, no. Just got the smart cover but the iPad hasn't shipped yet.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I dunno about the Xbox 360 or PS3 being used at Apple, but mine doesn't have a screen...
    Referring to output... Thing is, who cares if it has a higher resolution? Are you sitting 12 inches from your HD TV? No? Then a higher resolution would be a waste. Much of the resolution packed into the iPad is a waste too, quite frankly. It was simply easier for Apple to double the resolution to keep all apps working easily since they obviously didn't think scalability was an important thing for iOS.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I charge my iPad 1 3g every two weeks or So... My wife charges her iPad 1 wifi once a month. I expect that, as long as we can turn off the LTE radio (please sbsettings!) then we should be just fine. Bigger screen offset by bigger battery. I expect the battery life of this device will continue the legendary and industry-leading iPad battery life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It will be AMAZING for the first few months, then you'll get used to it. By that I mean, using it, you'll do everything on it like you've done it all your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    In Transit!! Sitting by my
    Door with a pen!
    Nothing in life is easy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    as long as it doesn't take longer than your typical overnight charge I think most will be fine. I generally plug my iDevices in at night and by morning they are fully charged and ready for a full day of use.