+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First iPad Reviews In, Verdict: Impressive

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The first reviews of the new iPad are in, and the likes of Walt Mossberg ( All Things D ) and company seem to be impressed. The Display: Everyone Loves
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default First iPad Reviews In, Verdict: Impressive

The first reviews of the new iPad are in, and the likes of Walt Mossberg (All Things D) and company seem to be impressed.

The Display: Everyone Loves It

Mossberg called the new display, and LTE upgrades “massive,” and that the display was the “most spectacular he’d ever seen on a mobile device." However, the glossy LCD (like all glossy LCDs) still causes problems for users trying to read in direct sunlight.

David Pogue of the New York Times piled on the praise as well calling the new display “jay-droppingly good.” However, that jaw-dropping awesomeness can only be fully realized on Retina Display optimized apps.

Edward C. Baig of USA Today called the display “a screen to die for” and The Washington Post's Joshua Topolsky lamented “There’s something almost otherworldly about how good this screen is. For rendered text or high-resolution images, it just looks like a glowing piece of paper.”

Other notable display superlatives include Tech Crunches M.G. Siegler comparing the new screen to finally seeing clearly after getting glasses and Jim Dalrymple of The Loop being “in awe” of the display.

4G LTE: Everyone Loves It Too

Across the board the reviewers enjoyed the increased speed of both Verizon and AT&T’s LTE network. Mossberg averaged 17 mbps on Verizon’s network, and 12 mbps on AT&T’s. The iPad 2 averaged just over 1 mbps in comparison.

Pogue tested the LTE capability in San Francisco, Boston and New York, noting speed varied from 6 to 29 mbps. Topolsky continued to outdo the other reviewers’ adjectives claiming the new iPad “screams” on Verizon’s LTE network.

Battery Life: Admirable

Considering just how much more Apple packed into the barely thicker and heavier new iPad, the reviewers were pleased with the battery life. Mossberg eeked out 9 hours and 58 minutes using his standardized battery test (only 11 minutes short of his iPad 2 test numbers) and Pogue got nine hours out of his new iPad during an all day nonstop-usage test.

USA Today’s Baig had his new iPad last the entire day, and Topolsky of the Washington Post claimed the battery lived up to Apple’s claims of 10 hours active use and 9 hours using LTE.

Camera: Way Better Than That iPad 2 Crap

The new iPad’s camera puts the iPad 2’s horrible excuse for a rear-camera to shame. Even Baig’s claim that the pictures and video produced were “generaly pleasing” is leagues ahead of the abysmal photos and video the iPad 2 produced.

Still, anyone intentionally taking photos with their iPad, whatever the version, needs their head examined. The thing is too big, and too awkward to justify taking anything but on the fly photos when no other options exists.

Overall: Impressed

It appears the negative backlash surrounding the iPhone 4S and its seeming lack of "newness" has given way to a truly impressive product in the New iPad, in the eyes of mainstream reviewers at least. Apple appears to have continued their streak of impressive product releases, and killer sales numbers (judging by delivery dates on pre-orders at least). Hopefully Apple can meet the consumer demand and prevent an iPad 2 like shortage in the coming months.

Sources: All Things D, The Washington Post, The New York Times, USA Today [via Apple Insider]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Seems folk are split into two camps on the new display.
    Those with low visual acuity tend to say "bleh, so what ?"
    Those with sharp vision who lamented the low resolution of its predecessor - which spoilt the web experience - are singing Hallelujah.

Most people I know fall into the 'Bleh' camp, suggesting that people with high visual acuity are in a minority.
    Obviously for the former, there's no gain in upgrading - but for me, it means that at long last, I'll be able to use the iPad for serious web-browsing (once I've afforded the upgrade).

<Dons flame-retardant suit>
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 03-15-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    Those with sharp vision who lamented the low resolution of its predecessor - which spoilt the web experience - are singing Hallelujah.

Most people I know fall into the 'Bleh' camp, suggesting that people with high visual acuity are in a minority.
    Obviously for the former, there's no gain in upgrading - but for me, it means that at long last, I'll be able to use the iPad for serious web-browsing (once I've afforded the upgrade).
    If you can't see any gains in upgrading I'm surprised your daily driver isn't an Atari 2600. The new iPad is obviously light years ahead of the iPad 2, really, some people... I think some people are still trying to justify their 399 pound iPad 2 purchase at Christmas.

While the iPad 2 is still a great device, if I bought one at Xmas for 399 pounds I would feel a bit of a chump right now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    If you can't see any gains in upgrading I'm surprised your daily driver isn't an Atari 2600. The new iPad is obviously light years ahead of the iPad 2, really, some people... I think some people are still trying to justify their 399 pound iPad 2 purchase at Christmas.

While the iPad 2 is still a great device, if I bought one at Xmas for 399 pounds I would feel a bit of a chump right now.
    A case of none so blind as those who won't see.
    Always amazes me how bizarrely pride can make people behave.

Thanks

Great stuff man, can't wait to get my hands on that badboy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

My eyes are shocking. I can look at an HD panel and say 'bleh' but it's then when you see an SD picture you think 'wow this looks bad'. So I could live without HD but then I'd realise the alternative is SD and then I wouldn't be able to live without HD.

You don't know what you got till its gone as they say!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Really? Who are these "people" that have the new iPad and find the display bleh. Post up that review...

Thanks

WHAT.....EVER!!!! i dont get what the problem with people is...when there isnt a retina display on the ipad...like when there wasnt when ipad2 launched...everyone was like woah woah how can they not have retina display its on the iphone 4 no point in buying it so what it has a camera and graphics blah blah blah blah blah phucking blah...it still sold the pants off everybody else TRYING to make tablets in this part of the galaxy even AFTER apple helped them with 'publicity'...

now that the new ipad DOES have retina display...that too one which everybody is unanimously praising...some gargantuously stupid comment with an equally stupid pseudo science sounding phrase that morgan freeman would spurt out in some b grade horror movie about giant robotic ladybirds - like "those with low visual acuity" comes along!!!!! at the same time those very same people harp about how "crapple" still uses LCD's and how samsungs and htcs are using amoleds and oleds and super amoleds and how those displays are better. hypocrisy at its finest.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

why cant you just be happy with a good product becoming better because thats EXACTLY whats happened. its a better display...end of story. itll look good sharp clean and clear to ANYBODY with a functional set of eyes. just like how HD does. its rather simple. even if you have low visual acuity. (dunno what kinda crowd ur hanging out with)

whats riling me up here is that there are MILLIONS - literally MILLIONS of people who are excited about this product and are looking forward to reviews and then buying one for themselves. who in supermans underwear do you think you are to spoil that???? u dont like it...you know people who dont like it...KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...MOST of the guys here DONT wanna know....PRIMARILY because we all DO like it. and the fact that reading stuff like that is a killjoy and also for the fact that IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(dons retard-retardant suit)

also - serious web browsing stats (ipad2) :-

1. Apple iPad now used for 1% of all browsing - leaving Android rivals in the dust | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    2. Royal Pingdom Royal Pingdom: Apple's iPad owns 88% of global tablet web traffic

oh but wait...it STILL doesnt have flash....DRAT (pumps fist in air)...there goes my serious web browsing experience...$499 my posterior...
    Last edited by damien6; 03-15-2012 at 06:44 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Really? Who are these "people" that have the new iPad and find the display bleh. Post up that review...
    Dunno.
    I'm on about people who pooh-poohed the need for a higher res display than the iPad-1/2.
    The low res was the reason I nearly didn't buy one.
    I have an iPad-1 - but only really use it for YouTube and limited casual browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by damien6 View Post
    WHAT.....EVER!!!! i dont get what the problem with people is...when there isnt a retina display on the ipad...like when there wasnt when ipad2 launched...everyone was like woah woah how can they not have retina display its on the iphone 4 no point in buying it so what it has a camera and graphics blah blah blah blah blah phucking blah...it still sold the pants off everybody else TRYING to make tablets in this part of the galaxy even AFTER apple helped them with 'publicity'...

now that the new ipad DOES have retina display...that too one which everybody is unanimously praising...some gargantuously stupid comment with an equally stupid pseudo science sounding phrase that morgan freeman would spurt out in some b grade horror movie about giant robotic ladybirds - like "those with low visual acuity" comes along!!!!! at the same time those very same people harp about how "crapple" still uses LCD's and how samsungs and htcs are using amoleds and oleds and super amoleds and how those displays are better. hypocrisy at its finest.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

why cant you just be happy with a good product becoming better because thats EXACTLY whats happened. its a better display...end of story. itll look good sharp clean and clear to ANYBODY with a functional set of eyes. just like how HD does. its rather simple. even if you have low visual acuity. (dunno what kinda crowd ur hanging out with)

whats riling me up here is that there are MILLIONS - literally MILLIONS of people who are excited about this product and are looking forward to reviews and then buying one for themselves. who in supermans underwear do you think you are to spoil that???? u dont like it...you know people who dont like it...KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...MOST of the guys here DONT wanna know....PRIMARILY because we all DO like it. and the fact that reading stuff like that is a killjoy and also for the fact that IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(dons retard retard-retardant suit)

also - serious web browsing stats (ipad2) :-

1. Apple iPad now used for 1% of all browsing - leaving Android rivals in the dust | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    2. Royal Pingdom Royal Pingdom: Apple's iPad owns 88% of global tablet web traffic

oh but wait...it STILL doesnt have flash....DRAT (pumps fist in air)...there goes my serious web browsing experience...$499 my posterior...
    I think you may need a lie down.
    (Drugs have a lot to answer for )

When you've understood the content of my first post, you'll realise that I was underlining the need for the new display - not decrying it.

And apologies for my use of polysyllabic words.

<shakes head in disbelief>
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 03-15-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks

Am I the only person who feels like all these new features should have been implemented a year ago in the iPad 2?? Yes, very awesome new iPad but there really is nothing cutting edge here.... Maybe it's just me. I don't know??......

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    Am I the only person who feels like all these new features should have been implemented a year ago in the iPad 2??
    Not sure what you mean by 'should'.
    It's down to Apple to decide on their own product strategy - itself a product of marketing, development and cost considerations.
    The only input consumers have is voting with their credit cards.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneThereforeIAm For This Useful Post:

vantheman169 (03-15-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Hahaha, thats what I was thinking! Can't go off of watching a video review/unboxing/keynote from Apple. Videos cannot do this panel justice and I for one and super stoked for tomorrow! Come on FEDEX!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Am I the only person who feels like all these new features should have been implemented a year ago in the iPad 2?? Yes, very awesome new iPad but there really is nothing cutting edge here.... Maybe it's just me. I don't know??......
    Yes it's just you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Hahaha, thats what I was thinking! Can't go off of watching a video review/unboxing/keynote from Apple. Videos cannot do this panel justice and I for one and super stoked for tomorrow! Come on FEDEX!
    I'm with you, I'm EXCITED and can't wait until tomorrow... Lets go shippers!!
    I've got one with UPS in southern California and one with FedEx in the midwest, lets get a move on it.
    I'm ok with an "Early" delivery!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The only input consumers have is voting with their credit cards.
    and they do it loudly as apple's stock continues to climb through the roof, carrying my portfolio with it. thanks apple!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Why are you complaining??? I dont see you coming up with a better product! People will never be pleased, the new iPad could poop gold and people would find a way to complain about something. Sheesh.

Thanks

Dunno.
    I'm on about people who pooh-poohed the need for a higher res display than the iPad-1/2.
    I have an iPad-1 - but only really use it for YouTube and limited casual browsing.

When you've understood the content of my first post, you'll realise that I was underlining the need for the new display - not decrying it.

Your out of your depth, hopelessly, and fuelled by a want for something you can't have.

Thanks

Some Japanese equivalent to Wal-mart stores and a few of our bases out here had a midnight opening/event, so I went to the closest BX/PX and got to look at one and compare it to my iPad 2. It's not world-changing by any means... but I WILL agree with another reviewer I saw online: don't bother looking at it if you have a 2 and are "on the fence" about upgrading. That screen may go against your better judgment - it's pretty serious. Beautiful, really... even on that non-JB home screen. You can argue that this is the screen the 2 should've had, but that's irrelevant at this point. I managed to leave without buying anything... I'll sleep on it. I'm wondering about the likelihood of a jailbreak anytime soon, as well as the continued absence of an SD/Micro SD card slot. A 128GB+ 4G version would have this thing priced at or higher than the more capable MBA, but with carriers and data charges being as ridiculous as they are, SOME physical storage option should be given.

I'll probably skip this one. Then again, I may go for it, place it in the same-fitting iPad 2 case, and smile slyly as my wife remains none the wiser. Decisions, decisions...
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks

Dunno.

<shakes head in disbelief>

hmm...alright...we'll play it your way.

i think i read your post enough number of times to understand the crux of the matter you were trying to give a point of view for. at least upto what i could comprehend which is not to say i lack in any skills of comprehension, unless you - which im sure you now are since it will further your argument - would like to believe that i in fact do - lack in comprehension skills that is, apologies if this is complicated for you to follow.
    also, you must need understand that what you intended to write may not be what i understood from it. same holds true for anybody else reading your post, as i do notice a general sense of dislike of your post in this thread.

your jump to a conclusion is only eclipsed by the preposterous nature of stereotyping that you have displayed in assuming i was/am on drugs when i wrote that. not to mention, rather classist and insensitive.

i would like to re-iterate, the context and subject matter of my reply to your comment was to illustrate how comments such as the one made by yourself are degrading towards the general quality and feel of excitement shared by many other people, of whom i am a part, and that it furthers a rather pungent sense of distaste, which is entirely not required nor is necessary.

i hope this has made clear to you the intention, context and subject matter (which, although simpler to write and easier to read, was saying the same thing) of my previous post.

maybe you should try some contraband yourself, might help you with that nasty knot your knickers are caught up in.

p.s - they taught me English too though i must admit the cocaine helps
    Last edited by damien6; 03-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damien6 View Post
    hmm...alright...we'll play it your way.

i think i read your post enough number of times to understand the crux of the matter you were trying to give a point of view for. at least upto what i could comprehend which is not to say i lack in any skills of comprehension, unless you - which im sure you now are since it will further your argument - would like to believe that i in fact do - lack in comprehension skills that is, apologies if this is complicated for you to follow.
    also, you must need understand that what you intended to write may not be what i understood from it. same holds true for anybody else reading your post, as i do notice a general sense of dislike of your post in this thread.

your jump to a conclusion is only eclipsed by the preposterous nature of stereotyping that you have displayed in assuming i was/am on drugs when i wrote that. not to mention, rather classist and insensitive.

i would like to re-iterate, the context and subject matter of my reply to your comment was to illustrate how comments such as the one made by yourself are degrading towards the general quality and feel of excitement shared by many other people, of whom i am a part, and that it furthers a rather pungent sense of distaste, which is entirely not required nor is necessary.

i hope this has made clear to you the intention, context and subject matter (which, although simpler to write and easier to read, was saying the same thing) of my previous post.

maybe you should try some contraband yourself, might help you with that nasty knot your underwear is caught up in.

p.s - they taught me English too though i must admit the cocaine helps
    I wouldn't pander to him... He is obviously a nut!