Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad Won't Let You Use FaceTime Over 4G LTE

Default New iPad Won't Let You Use FaceTime Over 4G LTE

FaceTime, Apple’s very own video chatting solution for their iDevice and Mac owners, is available on the new iPad. Just like all the rest of Apple’s devices, unfortunately, we won’t be able to use it over the cellular networks like 4G LTE, which the iPad has just started to support. Like all of Apple's other devices, the new iPad will require you to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to send out or to receive FaceTime calls.

This doesn’t come as much of a surprise as cellular providers are constantly trying to reduce their consumers’ data usage to keep their networks running as quickly and optimally as possible. It saves them money by keeping from having to upgrade their networks and putting pressure on the users instead.

4G LTE is fast. It can be much faster than 3G (which was never really that slow to begin with) and it even tops some of our home Wi-Fi networks in speed. Jailbreak tweaks have shown us that FaceTime is perfectly capable over 3G and even Edge. It’s entirely unfortunate that the 4G network speeds won’t be taken advantage of for this feature, however some competitors in the App Store such as Skype or Tango do allow you to video chat over a cellular network.

Perhaps when the jailbreak comes out for the new iPad, we will be able to unlock FaceTime over 4G LTE. For the most part, FaceTime isn’t used that often and it’s a moot feature. That being said, this probably won’t get in the way of people’s lives or keep them from being able to use the new iPad in all of its glory.

Sources: 9to5Mac

If people are saying that using 4glte will blow threw their data plan in 30 mins, just imagine if you used FaceTime over 4g.... I think it's a good ideas to use wifi only because one FaceTime call and you have blown threw your data plan.
    Last edited by Eiswritsat; 03-15-2012 at 12:07 AM.

I'm sick of carriers telling me how I can use my data, it's not like using FaceTime gets you more data or anything, you're still limited to 2/3 GB a month or whatever your plan is. What's it to them if I want to use the whole lot on FaceTime? I'm sure Apple didn't like this idea either, gives more reason to use 3rd party apps. Nice write up btw.

If carriers didn't always get what they wanted, maybe we will would still have an option for Unlimited data with this LTE goodness. Maybe then we wouldn't have to worry so much about 'going over.' Remember how iPhones were required to purchase an Unlimited data plan?

I almost see no point in driving a Ferrari on a 100 meter stretch of pavement.

Why do they even offer 4G if the only thing they allow is web browsing? And only text pages, pictures take to much bandwidth. You almost can't do anything that actually benefits of 4G speeds. And if you find something they allow, your data runs out in about one hour or something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Let the jailbreaking begin!

There will be a JB for that..

Ready, Set, Go DEV TEAM!!!!!!
    I know its early but I can't wait for a JAILBREAK!!!
    Put a STOP to all these "silly" restrictions...

So throw up a warning, but don't prevent us entirely. If the tech is available and we're willing to pay for it, why PREVENT us from using it?

Annoying. All the more reason to root for the jailbreak. My3G, FaceBreak, and 3GUnrestrictor worked around this for 3G. I suspect they'll be updated (and renamed) for LTE as well.

Stupidly enough, if you tether (hotspot) -- officially or unoffically -- to another 3G or LTE device, then your iPad thinks it's on WiFi, and you can do FaceTime.

Such a stupid, stupid restriction.
    Last edited by Fofer; 03-15-2012 at 09:54 AM.

never thought ATT would enable facetime on LTE as it was never available on 3G. hopefully it can be jailbroken soon so.. you can use 3G unrestrictor. perhaps they'll offer LTE-unrestrictor
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 03-15-2012 at 01:44 PM.

When jailbreak is released, carriers who provide unlimited usage of Internet data must double their networking accessories... Apple is moving on and it's dragging the world with it... Better keep up with it...

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

STANDARD!!!!! Oh well, Jail Break It

Just as said, turn to jailbreak is OK.
    But personally Im considering to buy a WiFi, first the budget and I think Wifi is OK for me.
    What interesting me is the 1080p video playing, think I could get more cool movies to my Apple TV with ifunia and handbrake, and in HD, cool!
    The Apple TV should be to a HDTV centre!
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto