+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The New iPad Benchmarked: Specs Revealed

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The New iPad Benchmarked: Specs Revealed

Some people around the globe appear to be getting the new iPad prematurely. After the event one person did, they downloaded a popular benchmark application dubbed Geekbench from the App Store and ran the benchmark test to see what kind of hardware the new iPad contains under the hood.

The number crunching confirms the new iPad to encompass 1GB of RAM, which was a rumor floating around after its announcement at Apple’s keynote event when Mike Capps from Epic Games stated, "This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3.”

Additionally, the A5X chip, which powers the new iPad, runs at the same clock speed as the iPad 2’s A5 chip did at 1GHz. The benchmark number of 756 shows us that the overall speed of the new iPad won’t differ that much from the iPad 2 being that the A5X chip is nothing more than a modified A5 chip and not a total redesign. Citing 9to5Mac, the iPad 2 also reached the mid 700’s in benchmark scoring.

The only thing not taken into account by the Geekbench benchmark would be the quad-core graphics in the A5X chip. The iPad 2 only carries dual-core graphics and still managed to give us optimal performance. With the new iPad carrying a retina display and needing a more powerful graphics solution, the quad core graphics should not only take care of that, but also give the new iPad some more staggering graphics performance in gaming than the iPad 2, which Apple also bragged about at the keynote:

Sources: 9to5Mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly who cares if it has a higher screen res than a console, consumer grade TV's are only 1080p and the graphics processor in the consoles will still spank the A5X.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Honestly who cares if it has a higher screen res than a console, consumer grade TV's are only 1080p and the graphics processor in the consoles will still spank the A5X.
    Yeah, the screen alone is pretty damn awesome in itself, going from iPhone 3gs to iPhone 4 was a huge difference just because of the screen. The higher resolution screen is going to be pretty awesome for Remote Desktop.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Yeah, the screen alone is pretty damn awesome in itself, going from iPhone 3gs to iPhone 4 was a huge difference just because of the screen. The higher resolution screen is going to be pretty awesome for Remote Desktop.
    High resolution on small screen is just that, looks sharper on a SMALL screen.
    Can't display it on big screen since highest res television is 1080P, you are limited to this SMALL screen.
    Because of the resolution the playback from videos is going to be smaller on the screen, when maximized to large screen it will be just as grainy.
    Remote desktop at high resolution on a SMALL screen is not going to be awesome, everything you try to access is so small you might touch the wrong file instead of the you wanted to open. Already tried remote in on my computer with Dell 30" IPS monitor with super high resolution setting.
    So basically all this is good for is books and apps, its nice to look at but that is about it.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    High resolution on small screen is just that, looks sharper on a SMALL screen.
    Can't display it on big screen since highest res television is 1080P, you are limited to this SMALL screen.
    Because of the resolution the playback from videos is going to be smaller on the screen, when maximized to large screen it will be just as grainy.
    Remote desktop at high resolution on a SMALL screen is not going to be awesome, everything you try to access is so small you might touch the wrong file instead of the you wanted to open. Already tried remote in on my computer with Dell 30" IPS monitor with super high resolution setting.
    So basically all this is good for is books and apps, its nice to look at but that is about it.
    I've used a iPad 2 for RDP and it's just fine... there are some great programs that make it very easy to use RDP with a touch screen. Jump Remote Desktop supports both VNC and RDP has two fingers to scroll, use cursor like a touchpad and pinch zoom when necessary. All I'm saying is this is going to be a great improvement as I can read smaller stuff easier without zooming. Just like when I went from an iPhone 3g to iPhone 4 the usability of RDP increased a lot. I'm not expecting to use a computer for 8 hours a day like this it's just nice when working in a server room and you want continued access to your desktop.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just benched my 4s and got a score of 630. It amazes me how much power the 4s has....a truly remarkable piece of technology in the palm of your hand. I assume the iphone 5 will have same innards as the ipad. Apple better gives us a 4.7 inch screen next time.....or I swear....I'll..........

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That slide Apple used is such crap. The Tegra 3 blows the A5 out of the water in every benchmark. I wonder how the new iPad actually compares to the Tegra 3 since apple's comparison slides are clearly just created out of thin air. I sold my iPad 2 for the Asus Prime and I've never looked back. Still believe my 4s is the best phone on the market though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Actually the Xbox 360 & PS3 would have to actually have a screen Oo they don't so you cannot compare that to an iPad.

There is absolutely no need for a screen that Rez on a 9.7" tablet my iPad 2 has a perfect screen Rez for using it at arms length or elbows length, just another crappy addition to the Specs & we the rest of the none sheep will have to suffer with apps 2x the size because of this screen :@ 16gbs only goes so far.
    Last edited by rocky5; 03-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    I just benched my 4s and got a score of 630. It amazes me how much power the 4s has....a truly remarkable piece of technology in the palm of your hand. I assume the iphone 5 will have same innards as the ipad. Apple better gives us a 4.7 inch screen next time.....or I swear....I'll..........
    4.7 inch screen? I hope your kidding....Its a phone not a tablet!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    Actually the Xbox 360 & PS3 would have to actually have a screen Oo they don't so you cannot compare that to an iPad.

There is absolutely no need for a screen that Rez on a 9.7" tablet my iPad 2 has a perfect screen Rez for using it at arms length or elbows length, just another crappy addition to the Specs & we the rest of the none sheep will have to suffer with apps 2x the size because of this screen :@ 16gbs only goes so far.
    How can you possibly say that the RETINA display is a crappy addition to the specs?
    Last edited by vantheman169; 03-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

i'll have to disagree with one portion of that. The iPad 2 and iPad 1 screens look like crap compaired to the iPhone 4-4s screens. i have both in my house and the ipad IMO screen looks ugly. I am extremely excited for a better res screen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    i'll have to disagree with one portion of that. The iPad 2 and iPad 1 screens look like crap compaired to the iPhone 4-4s screens. i have both in my house and the ipad IMO screen looks ugly. I am extremely excited for a better res screen
    I agree 100%! I have the original iPad and my 4S screen is amazing and everytime I get on my iPad I am saddened by the resolution of the screen. The only people talking crap about the new Retina display are the people that can't afford to buy one. Haters are always gonna HATE.

Thanks

I also find it funny that Geekbench scores are calibrated using the 2003 entry-level Power Mac G5 as a baseline with a score of 1,000 points.

Amazing the computing power in a mobile device these days

Thanks

i still find it odd that people are expecting the same graphics smoothness
    lets simlify
    ipad 2 - ipad 3
    1 graphics - 4 graphics
    2 graphic-power - 4 graphic-power
    2 graphic-power per graphic - 1 graphic-power per graphic
    Last edited by leopodie; 03-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

You sound like the people who said that there is no need for frame rates over 30fps because that is the limit at which we can process at and that 60fps is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by leopodie View Post
    lets simlify
    ipad 2 - ipad 3
    1 graphics - 4 graphics
    2 cores - 4 cores
    2 cores per graphic - 1 core per graphic
    Increasing screen resolution does not directly translate into processing power needed. Meaning 4 times the resolution does not exactly require 4 times the total processing.
    Last edited by Norb; 03-13-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

lets simlify
    ipad 2 - ipad 3
    1 graphics - 4 graphics
    2 cores - 4 cores
    2 cores per graphic - 1 core per graphic
    The "new" ipad does not have a 4 core processor it has a 2 core a5 chip MODIFIED "x" to have 4 core graphics. So the processing power of the a5x is not better than the iPad 2's a5 chip, it simply has a much better GPU to handle the better resolution

Thanks

sorry it was means as graphic cores, fixed in original post
    and like i said you're gonna notice it when theres alot of changing graphics on the screen, and earlie tester on the 45 minute press demo noticed it when opening alot of apps or scrolling through alot of pages in a pdf

Thanks

sorry it was means as graphic cores, fixed in original post
    and like i said you're gonna notice it when theres alot of changing graphics on the screen, and earlie tester on the 45 minute press demo noticed it when opening alot of apps or scrolling through alot of pages in a pdf
    Oh your just SPECULATING! I am sure once the iPad is released and everyone has their hands on it, there will be more benchmark videos and comparisons than our hearts desire. But you can't possibly sit there and say what the iPad is going to do and act like you know how well it will perform when you or just about NOBODY has even seen or touched or used the iPad (3rd Gen) in real life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

they missed in two areas big time....first they should have made the new screen real stylus friendly with pressure sensitivity to cater to the graphic artists. Second they should have implemented a micro or a regular sd slot for external storage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    they missed in two areas big time....first they should have made the new screen real stylus friendly with pressure sensitivity to cater to the graphic artists. Second they should have implemented a micro or a regular sd slot for external storage.
    You should make that, I'm sure you will make billions... or you'll just end up being just like the other failed tablet products with no sense of direction.