Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Current iOS Icons Larger Than Entire Display of First Mac

  1. #1
    Default Current iOS Icons Larger Than Entire Display of First Mac



    The original Macintosh, put together with spare parts from Steve Wozniak’s garage and held together with spit, utilized a display with a resolution smaller than a single iOS icon.

    The original Macintosh had a 512 x 342 monochrome pixel display, and icons were a measly 16 x 16 pixels. Current iOS icons are 512 x 512 pixels packed with a 16.7 million color palette. The amount of memory required to display a single iOS icon is four times the total video memory of the original Mac.

    Obviously iOS icons will never be shown at that resolution unless Apple falls of the deep end and starts implementing “Full Screen” icons as a new feature. Still, despite the massive difference in resources required the icons, the absolute size of the icons over the years has changed very little, onl the detail has.

    Some day all that pixel density is going to be necessary, like when 4k retina displays are packed into 3.5” phones even though our eyes can’t tell the difference.

    Source: Gizmodo

  2. #2
    You should have read through the user comments of gizmodo post. Saying ios icons are 512by512 is misleading as they are not. That size icon is used for iTunes and cover flow.

    None the less It is amazing how much technology had came. Just look at the original iPhone. No AppStore, no wallpapers, no mms, not arranging icons.

  3. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    None the less It is amazing how much technology had came. Just look at the original iPhone. No AppStore, no wallpapers, no mms, not arranging icons.
    And thanks to jailbreaking, Apple has incorporated it natively.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    And thanks to jailbreaking, Apple has incorporated it natively.
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I see what you did there. I remember getting my first iPhone (friend's bro dropped it in a puddle and shattered it) and I jailbroke it with BootNeuter to make it work with T-Mobile. It had NOTHING on it. lol Now I'm a proud user of an iPhone 4.

    Jailbreak devs changed Apple's vision from complete control to a somewhat-open platform for developers like Square Enix to develop games for it. Incredible.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    And thanks to jailbreaking, Apple has incorporated it natively.
    Just because some one else also thought of the feature, doesn't mean Apple ripped off the features... I thought of the iPhone when I was 5 (I drew out a similar concept), guess that means I am the creator right? -_-

    -Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Just because some one else also thought of the feature, doesn't mean Apple ripped off the features... I thought of the iPhone when I was 5 (I drew out a similar concept), guess that means I am the creator right? -_-
    No, it doesnt. but when apple modify binaries without crediting the author, then yeah they are ripping off an idea.

  7. #7
    Theme Inspector high dB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oldham, Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    761
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 767 Posts

    Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    What do we do with our phones? throw birds at pigs

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Just because some one else also thought of the feature, doesn't mean Apple ripped off the features... I thought of the iPhone when I was 5 (I drew out a similar concept), guess that means I am the creator right? -_-
    Most new features and tweaks in ios 5 were ripped off from the jailbreak community.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by high dB View Post
    Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    What do we do with our phones? throw birds at pigs
    +1

    LoL

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 47 Times in 34 Posts

    Our eyes can't tell the difference? Really? over what? Anyone can see a tremendous difference between the iPhone 3 and 4s displays. I can easily see the difference in an "HD" 5" android's display and the iPhone. That's not even zooming. I think your facts may be a bit off. Or your eyes?

  11. #11
    Yeah I was at Kennedy last July for the final flight of Atlantis, where they had a replica of the Mercury mission control room. They said modern smart phones have more computing power than that entire room, yet look what they accomplished.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Or your eyes?
    It just may be. There are still people who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by high dB View Post
    Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    What do we do with our phones? throw birds at pigs
    Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

  14. #14
    What?!? Steve Wozniak wasn't even on the Macintosh team when it was created, he was still working on the Apple ][ computer. Woz put together the Apple I from various parts and it didn't even have pixels, it had a character generator and no bit-mapped graphics, the output was analog to a TV. By the time the Macintosh was being developed Apple was already an established company selling lots of computers. They had engineers, lots of parts, etc.

    If you're going to steal copy from Gizmodo at least don't **** it up when you publish it.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Soon the iPads icons are as large as the last years MacBooks displays:P

    Quote Originally Posted by pepperstm View Post
    No, it doesnt. but when apple modify binaries without crediting the author, then yeah they are ripping off an idea.
    ...apple copied droids notification. Every phone copied the original touch screen and keypad and signature sounds with out giving credit. Jailbreak era also create rip offs.. Some are unique ideas but they are not exactly THEIR idea. Patents aren't there idea. For example is YouTube app someone's idea or is it youtubes idea for an app?
    Last edited by Mrteacup; 03-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by high dB View Post
    Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    What do we do with our phones? throw birds at pigs
    +1

    Lol

    Zing!!


    Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

  18. #18
    Theme Creator Aehmlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Muskego, WI
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    You should have read through the user comments of gizmodo post. Saying ios icons are 512by512 is misleading as they are not. That size icon is used for iTunes and cover flow.

    None the less It is amazing how much technology had came. Just look at the original iPhone. No AppStore, no wallpapers, no mms, not arranging icons.
    The smallest icons used are still 59 pixels. This is much bigger than the original Mac's icons, so the title is not misleading, just the example he used.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    The smallest icons used are still 59 pixels. This is much bigger than the original Mac's icons, so the title is not misleading, just the example he used.
    The title states that a single iOS icon now is larger than the entire DISPLAY not icon

    And now with retina display icons are 114x114 the 512 by 512 icon they are referring to are used in iTunes for coverflow

  20. #20
    Theme Creator Aehmlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Muskego, WI
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    The title states that a single iOS icon now is larger than the entire DISPLAY not icon

    And now with retina display icons are 114x114 the 512 by 512 icon they are referring to are used in iTunes for coverflow
    My bad, misread the title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •