+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Current iOS Icons Larger Than Entire Display of First Mac

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Current iOS Icons Larger Than Entire Display of First Mac

The original Macintosh, put together with spare parts from Steve Wozniak’s garage and held together with spit, utilized a display with a resolution smaller than a single iOS icon.

The original Macintosh had a 512 x 342 monochrome pixel display, and icons were a measly 16 x 16 pixels. Current iOS icons are 512 x 512 pixels packed with a 16.7 million color palette. The amount of memory required to display a single iOS icon is four times the total video memory of the original Mac.

Obviously iOS icons will never be shown at that resolution unless Apple falls of the deep end and starts implementing “Full Screen” icons as a new feature. Still, despite the massive difference in resources required the icons, the absolute size of the icons over the years has changed very little, onl the detail has.

Some day all that pixel density is going to be necessary, like when 4k retina displays are packed into 3.5” phones even though our eyes can’t tell the difference.

Source: Gizmodo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

You should have read through the user comments of gizmodo post. Saying ios icons are 512by512 is misleading as they are not. That size icon is used for iTunes and cover flow.

None the less It is amazing how much technology had came. Just look at the original iPhone. No AppStore, no wallpapers, no mms, not arranging icons.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    None the less It is amazing how much technology had came. Just look at the original iPhone. No AppStore, no wallpapers, no mms, not arranging icons.
    And thanks to jailbreaking, Apple has incorporated it natively.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I see what you did there. I remember getting my first iPhone (friend's bro dropped it in a puddle and shattered it) and I jailbroke it with BootNeuter to make it work with T-Mobile. It had NOTHING on it. lol Now I'm a proud user of an iPhone 4.

Jailbreak devs changed Apple's vision from complete control to a somewhat-open platform for developers like Square Enix to develop games for it. Incredible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    Just because some one else also thought of the feature, doesn't mean Apple ripped off the features... I thought of the iPhone when I was 5 (I drew out a similar concept), guess that means I am the creator right? -_-

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Just because some one else also thought of the feature, doesn't mean Apple ripped off the features... I thought of the iPhone when I was 5 (I drew out a similar concept), guess that means I am the creator right? -_-
    No, it doesnt. but when apple modify binaries without crediting the author, then yeah they are ripping off an idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 766 Posts

Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    What do we do with our phones? throw birds at pigs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Most new features and tweaks in ios 5 were ripped off from the jailbreak community.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by high dB View Post
    Our phones have more computing power then the whole of NASA in the 60s 70s and they sent a man to the moon
    +1

LoL

Thanks

Our eyes can't tell the difference? Really? over what? Anyone can see a tremendous difference between the iPhone 3 and 4s displays. I can easily see the difference in an "HD" 5" android's display and the iPhone. That's not even zooming. I think your facts may be a bit off. Or your eyes?

Thanks

Yeah I was at Kennedy last July for the final flight of Atlantis, where they had a replica of the Mercury mission control room. They said modern smart phones have more computing power than that entire room, yet look what they accomplished.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Or your eyes?
    It just may be. There are still people who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,340 Times in 4,906 Posts

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

What?!? Steve Wozniak wasn't even on the Macintosh team when it was created, he was still working on the Apple ][ computer. Woz put together the Apple I from various parts and it didn't even have pixels, it had a character generator and no bit-mapped graphics, the output was analog to a TV. By the time the Macintosh was being developed Apple was already an established company selling lots of computers. They had engineers, lots of parts, etc.

If you're going to steal copy from Gizmodo at least don't **** it up when you publish it.

Thanks

Camera + FTW

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Soon the iPads icons are as large as the last years MacBooks displays:P

Quote Originally Posted by pepperstm View Post
    No, it doesnt. but when apple modify binaries without crediting the author, then yeah they are ripping off an idea.
    ...apple copied droids notification. Every phone copied the original touch screen and keypad and signature sounds with out giving credit. Jailbreak era also create rip offs.. Some are unique ideas but they are not exactly THEIR idea. Patents aren't there idea. For example is YouTube app someone's idea or is it youtubes idea for an app?
    Last edited by Mrteacup; 03-13-2012 at 03:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

+1

Lol

Zing!!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

You should have read through the user comments of gizmodo post. Saying ios icons are 512by512 is misleading as they are not. That size icon is used for iTunes and cover flow.

The smallest icons used are still 59 pixels. This is much bigger than the original Mac's icons, so the title is not misleading, just the example he used.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    The smallest icons used are still 59 pixels. This is much bigger than the original Mac's icons, so the title is not misleading, just the example he used.
    The title states that a single iOS icon now is larger than the entire DISPLAY not icon

And now with retina display icons are 114x114 the 512 by 512 icon they are referring to are used in iTunes for coverflow

Thanks

The title states that a single iOS icon now is larger than the entire DISPLAY not icon

And now with retina display icons are 114x114 the 512 by 512 icon they are referring to are used in iTunes for coverflow
    My bad, misread the title.