Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RadioShack First Retailer to Accept New iPad Pre-Orders

Default RadioShack First Retailer to Accept New iPad Pre-Orders

RadioShack started accepting pre-orders for the “new iPad” bestowing them with the honor of being the first company outside of Apple to start selling the device.

Apple began accepting pre-orders for the new iPad almost immediately after announcing the device. Delivery times for some new iPad model pre-orders made directly through Apple have already slipped three days back from the initial launch date of March 16th (the 16GB 4G and 64GB 4G models). RadioShack beat Best Buy, and even AT&T and Verizon retail locations to the pre-order punch. The other retailers have yet to announce when they’ll begin accepting orders for the new iPad.

However, in true RadioShack this-seems-too-good-to-be-true fashion the actual pre-order process is quite suspicious. Buyers must purchase a $50 gift card before they can pre-order the new iPad. The $50 gift-card caveat seems odd, especially since buyers can use the card toward the price of the new iPad. All pre-orders must be done at physical RadioShack retail store, and all locations will stop accepting pre-orders on Monday, March 12.

Retailers outside of RadioShack have been rather mum regarding their potential new iPad stock. Teh possibility that RadioShack is accepting pre-orders without knowing how much inventory they’ll actually have on launch day is a definite possibility. Look for other retailers to release details on the new iPad’s launch-day availability soon.

Source: AppleInsider

How is the $50 gift card odd? Please do some more research...when I used to work at Best Buy (in the mobile department), and you wanted to pre-order a device, you had to do place a small down payment. Ever preorder a game at Gamestop? Last I checked, you had to put like $10 down to reserve the game for when it launched.

At Best Buy, when everyone and their mothers were preordering the Thunderbolt, you had to place $50 down in the form of a BBY gift card. When it got to you, you could use the gift card toward the purchase of your device, or if you wanted to back out, you would lose your spot and could use that gift card for whatever you wanted.

It's not odd at all. Think about it this way. If you let anyone preorder a device without a down payment or commitment of some sort, you'll inevitably get people who never end up buying the device at all (surprising, I know). What does a retailer and its sales associates do? They have to figure out who actually wants one and who doesn't by guessing and/or calling. By placing a down payment through a gift card, you are committing to purchasing the device when it comes out. It's not suspicious or odd at all.

Having to purchase a $50 gift card to reserve anything is a scam in my eyes. Yes, if you pre-order a game at Gamestop you have to put money down but they don't make you buy a gift card and they'll give you your money back if you happen to change your mind before or after the game comes out. Radioshack had the same reservation process for the iPhone 4s. I reserved a White 32GB iPhone there thinking I could beat the lines at other stores. They told me that I had to buy a $50 gift card which I could use towards the purchase of the phone when I came back to pick it up. What they fail to tell you is once you buy a gift card they will not refund your money back to you even if you change your mind or if something goes wrong. When I came back to the store to pick up my phone they did not have my White 32GB in stock. Not a single Radioshack in the district had a 32GB iPhone in either color for AT&T. I waited for a week and my phone never came in. I told them that I just wanted my money back because they didn't have the item that I pre-ordered and they refused to give me my $50 back because they don't refund gift card purchases. That is why they make you buy the gift card to "reserve" your iPad or iPhone. If you have to return the item you reserved for whatever reason you end up being stuck having to purchase something else in their store because they will only give you the credit back on another gift card and not the actual cash back.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloudxvii View Post
    How is the $50 gift card odd? Please do some more research...when I used to work at Best Buy (in the mobile department), and you wanted to pre-order a device, you had to do place a small down payment. Ever preorder a game at Gamestop? Last I checked, you had to put like $10 down to reserve the game for when it launched.

At Best Buy, when everyone and their mothers were preordering the Thunderbolt, you had to place $50 down in the form of a BBY gift card. When it got to you, you could use the gift card toward the purchase of your device, or if you wanted to back out, you would lose your spot and could use that gift card for whatever you wanted.

It's not odd at all. Think about it this way. If you let anyone preorder a device without a down payment or commitment of some sort, you'll inevitably get people who never end up buying the device at all (surprising, I know). What does a retailer and its sales associates do? They have to figure out who actually wants one and who doesn't by guessing and/or calling. By placing a down payment through a gift card, you are committing to purchasing the device when it comes out. It's not suspicious or odd at all.

you never had to put down anything at best buy with a gift card. You can use your debit or credit card, or cash. Just to add to your comments...it is odd and suspicious. They don't refund gift cards and chances are they won't have it in stock on time either. Plus I doubt this is gonna be a major huge hit.
    Last edited by Agent929; 03-08-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

I am a RS employee and it worked like this. I would put in our sku for preorders, pick the ipad u want. Then you buy a $50 GC to use towards the purchase or anything else if you so pleased. The GC ensured that we would have them on release date FOR SURE. Now if you enroll or have a RS Card. You would then get 12 months no interest and you would then get a mail in rebate for a $50 Visa prepay Credit card.

Now unfortunately that deal was ended the same day at about 5-7pm est. we were told to take it all down and we are no longer offering the PREORDER part.

Now the RS card still will give you the 12mths and $50 visa cc if you use that to purchase your new ipad3!!!!

And we offer free product support. Which I know apple does but it's a HUGE hit for cell phones. Instead of calling your carriers help line and maybe not fixing your problem. RS has a great response time for calls and usually a 1call fix. Or online tutorials and you can chat with a rep in a chat room. IM basically lol.
    *** (instead of going into a corporate store and 'taking a number')

And to correct the chart. We do price match. 30day guarantee, excluding membership stores (cosco, SAMs, etc) or online deals.

I got one also and you will get it for sure. I was told its guaranteed. Just not ne more.