Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: Yeah... About That 4G Tethering With the New iPad

Default AT&T: Yeah... About That 4G Tethering With the New iPad

When Apple announced the new iPad yesterday, they also introduced 4G LTE technologies to the tablet for the first time for faster cellular data when performing Internet tasks on the fly. With that, they also told us we would be able to use the new iPad as a tethering hotspot with the 4G LTE network. They continued by explaining to us that AT&T and Verizon would be the only two companies offering the new iPad – Sprint will not as their 4G LTE network is not as expansive as the other two carriers' 4G LTE networks are.

If you bought one of the new iPads from AT&T, then don’t hold your breath. AT&T has no plans to start supporting 4G LTE tethering via the new iPad just yet and is currently working with Apple to make it a future feature. That being said, we don't know if AT&T will include it with the current data plans or force you to pay extra for tethering. Citing 9to5Mac, this information comes from a query to an AT&T spokesperson:

Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    We are working with Apple to enable this feature in the future, but we currently do not offer it.
    Verizon, on the other hand, will be supporting the new iPad’s 4G LTE tethering to other devices as soon as it comes out. The 4G LTE tethering means you can use the 4G LTE network from your iPad and move it to up to five other devices such as a laptop or other handheld Wi-Fi device. Verizon spokesperson Albert Aydin says:

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Aydin (Verizon)
    The new iPad on the Verizon Wireless network will have the mobile hotspot feature. Our 4G LTE tablets have the mobile hotspot feature and it is included in the tablet data plans so for example, customers who sign up for the $30 for 2GB plan will also have access to the mobile hotspot feature.
    These announcements the day after the first pre-order date will be devastating for anyone who bought the AT&T version of the new iPad already. With AT&T struggling to produce a fully-functional device on the first launch date and Verizon on its toes ready for just about anything, I’d say Verizon has the upper hand in winning customers for the new iPad. Tethering is a very useful feature that could make or break someone's decision to buy one, especially with the lower costs of using an iPad on a cellular network over using an iPhone.

Sources: 9to5Mac

What about the people with unlimited plans on iPad with AT&T will they let me move my sim card into new iPad and keep my plan?

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Mywi ftw.
    Yeah enjoy that long long wait for a jailbreak on the new iPad, remember how long it took on iPad 2?!

Mywi ftw.
    MyWi can't be used on an iPad that isn't jailbroken yet. :P

LAME LAME AT&T... I switched to Verizon for my personal phone long ago... I have unlimited and tethering on my 4s. When we get 4G on the NEW iPhone I will have the ability to talk and surf!

Most are so over AT&T. Verizon has faster speed, 3G in more areas and more reliable network.

Yeah, with the amount of time it took to JB the iPad2, I'm not holding my breath on a JB for the A5X chip. No offense to the Dream Team, and many MANY thanks for their tireless work in bringing a JB for the A5 to the world, but the fact of the matter is this: they got their sudden push to JailBreak the A5 chip from the release of the iPhone 4s.

Because the carrier foots some of the bill to offset the initial cost of getting one, the iPhone is way easier to get than an iPad that costs 2-1/2 times more. So, with everyone able to get an A5 device for way less than the cost of the iPad2, there is suddenly far greater demand for a JailBreak for an A5 device than when the iPad2 was the only device that sported an A5.

So, I'm thinking we probably won't see a JB for the new iPad until AFTER the iPhone5 ships.
    Last edited by rocketApe; 03-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    MyWi can't be used on an iPad that isn't jailbroken yet. :P
    Thank you captain obvious.

Thank you captain obvious.
    So what good is mentioning MyWi if we're using the new iPad?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    What about the people with unlimited plans on iPad with AT&T will they let me move my sim card into new iPad and keep my plan?
    From my experience with AT&T their data plans don't change when you change devices. But I haven't gotten any confirmation from our local store. In fact, even though I have unlimited data plan on my phone, I got the new iPad on Verizon cause they offer tablet tethering as the norm.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocketApe View Post
    So, I'm thinking we probably won't see a JB for the new iPad until AFTER the iPhone5 ships.
    You mean "The New iPhone".

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    I think he means the iPhone 5 errr. 6 errr 7. Errr. 29. Err 4ss. Err. Ummm. What number????

Lmfao

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

So what's the next one gonna be after that? The new improved iPhone?
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha nice!

Freaking AT&T, they need to spend more time working on features for their customers! I like them as my provider but they need to prioritize some things and start putting the customer first!

Thanks

My iPad(3rd gen) is jail broken already... Where have you guys been...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    My iPad(3rd gen) is jail broken already... Where have you guys been...
    Mines broke without the jail part
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

I still wish at&t could've acquired Tmobile to possibly gain a proper 4g network... Monopoly or not, I think it wouldve been very beneficial for AT&T customers.. But the government says otherwise...

Strange, I have been told by 2 separate reps that Tethering will be permitted at the $50/5GB plan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent929 View Post
    Mines broke without the jail part
    That's impossible! Do tell

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericmac017 View Post
    I still wish at&t could've acquired Tmobile to possibly gain a proper 4g network... Monopoly or not, I think it wouldve been very beneficial for AT&T customers.. But the government says otherwise...
    T-Mobile only has incompatible frequencies that AT&T was going to shut down. T-Mobile does not have 4G LTE. All they have is HSPA+ 3G which the FCC has allowed them to call "4G" because the speeds are comparable. AT&T has it too, so they would not have gained any "proper 4G" technology by buying T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast