+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The New iPad Will Reportedly Have 1GB of RAM

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Following the release of The new iPad yesterday, Apple left one major question unanswered: how much random access memory will the iPad have? The iPad 2 holds 512MB, but The
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The New iPad Will Reportedly Have 1GB of RAM

Following the release of The new iPad yesterday, Apple left one major question unanswered: how much random access memory will the iPad have? The iPad 2 holds 512MB, but The new iPad will reportedly have 1GB to help work with the powerhouse dual core A5X chip and quad core graphics. "This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3," (Mike Capps – Epic Games).

Since the main memory of the iPad will also be shared for graphics as VRAM, the upgrade is necessary and logical for iOS gamers. If The new iPad held the same 512MB of RAM that the iPad 2 holds, then high quality games would absolutely choke up the system’s RAM and make the device sluggish because the retina display requires four times the data as the standard display, which means more information will be held in the memory.

With the full iWork suite for iOS updated for the retina display, and the addition of iPhoto to the iLife suite for iOS (completing the set) yesterday, more RAM will have a great impact on performance. Unlike the usual small applications we download from the App Store, iLife and iWork applications are very large and power-hungry and like to absorb all the system resources they can find.

RAM is a volatile kind of memory, requiring constant power to be used and affecting battery life – one of the reasons Apple has limited it in iOS devices. However, Apple seems to have managed to keep the same great 10-hour battery life on The new iPad even with the increase. The increase in RAM should prove to make multitasking more efficient and keep the system from choking up when there are numerous processes running in the background.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 03-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The same great battery life huh kind of sounds like what they said for the iphone 4s to :/

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

It has to have more ram. Especially if iPhoto can supposedly support 75MB, 19MP photos. Right? Or did I read that wrong?

Why don't they ever tell us this. It's kind of a big deal.
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 03-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

More RAM = More BETTER.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Question will the Canadian Ipad be more like the Verizon or the AT&T one?

Looks like I'm going to be ordering it, but I want an iPad which could potentially work on LTE abroad let's say Canada.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David03181986 View Post
    The same great battery life huh kind of sounds like what they said for the iphone 4s to :/
    Sadly it's not the device but bugs in iOS 5 that hindered the battery life for some 4s users. I had similar intermittent problems after updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 as well. I even did a restore and it didn't help, second time I did a restore from DFU mode and this actually seemed to work on both my phone and iPad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJoey View Post
    Question will the Canadian Ipad be more like the Verizon or the AT&T one?

Looks like I'm going to be ordering it, but I want an iPad which could potentially work on LTE abroad let's say Canada.
    Yes. Rogers or Telus only. LTE ive only seen in like Toronto. You can check the maps.

Also if you go to pre-order they give you the option to choose.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    It has to have more ram. Especially if iPhoto can supposedly support 75MB, 19MP photos. Right? Or did I read that wrong?

Why don't they ever tell us this. It's kind of a big deal.
    I think it's a good thing... They don't want to play the specs game with other companies because specs don't always equate to real world results. They have been able to do more with less hardware for a while now. So while other companies are rushing to add 4 more cores to their device and another 2 gigs of ram, Apple is just focusing on optimizing their software.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, I wonder why they don't ever mention that too. I guess it's because a lot of people confuse memory with storage space.. At least that's what I've noticed when trying to explaing to people what it is.

I'm hoping it has 1GB of ram, though they could have only put 768MB in it. I'm sure we'll find out as soon as someone has one to take apart.

I don't like that they call it the "New iPad" because that will get confusing when the next iPad comes out next year. IPad 3 or iPad HD would have been better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    I think it's a good thing... They don't want to play the specs game with other companies because specs don't always equate to real world results. They have been able to do more with less hardware for a while now. So while other companies are rushing to add 4 more cores to their device and another 2 gigs of ram, Apple is just focusing on optimizing their software.
    +1
    Apple has shown that 'supposed' mediocre hardware can be improved upon just by researching how it completely works. They are actually saving the consumer money by doing it this way!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    +1
    Apple has shown that 'supposed' mediocre hardware can be improved upon just by researching how it completely works. They are actually saving the consumer money by doing it this way!
    And yet mediocre hardware from Apple costs more than not-so-mediocre hardware from another manufacturer. This doesn't save the consumer money, it inflates Apple's profits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    And yet mediocre hardware from Apple costs more than not-so-mediocre hardware from another manufacturer. This doesn't save the consumer money, it inflates Apple's profits.
    Which is balanced out by their not-so-mediocre software, which is optimized for that, "mediocre hardware" and still outperforms that, "not-so-mediocre hardware."

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Which is balanced out by their not-so-mediocre software, which is optimized for that, "mediocre hardware" and still outperforms that, "not-so-mediocre hardware."

It does not balance out, but I'm not going to bother to explain it to you because that's proven pointless in the past. All of the non-fanboys know exactly what I am talking about.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

It had better have more ram, 512 def wouldn't cut it.

Thanks

It does not balance out, but I'm not going to bother to explain it to you because that's proven pointless in the past. All of the non-fanboys know exactly what I am talking about.

Enjoy.

Thanks

OK buddy, because all Apple product owner are noobs that know nothing about hardware or computers. You remind me of the guys in our hospital who request for servers with 64 gigs of ram and 16 cores to replace servers with 32 gigs of ram and 8 cores when the peak utilization on RAM is 6Gb and on cpu is about 40%. Then when we tell them that it's a configuration issue that is making their server slow they think we are full of it.

Thanks

I've edited this so it's more concise and to the point:

I'm going to make a claim and not support it with any facts then refuse to argue because I know I'm not right and I don't want to make a fool of myself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

This slide is a lame *** attempt by apple to convince the multitiudes of its "simple" users who know nothing of real hardware specs, that they are better yet somehow never seem to provide and real data to support their wild claims.

Thanks

and still its called slower than its predecessor (yeah i know this doesn't have to do that much with ram)
    +the fact that nvidea has already challenged that slide to let Apple come with real statistics because they don't believe it.

yeah thats right apple didn't even post statistics for it so i call it a ******** argument
    second i think if they came with some results to backup the claim it would probs say that the tegra was slower in an area that doesn't matter much in performance while the tegra would be more competetive in important area's.
    because thats how slideshows roll

and yeah, this trick is preformed by alot of companies so i don't really blame apple.
    and since android still doesnt have the app for tablets you'll still need an ipad to game. but it doesnt really come down to the hardware
    Last edited by leopodie; 03-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 780 Posts

Not sure what you mean...
    The Galaxy Tabs are just as expensive as iPads and these Android devices have higher specs but crappy software. They seem to throw in a lot of pricey parts but don't think enough about bringing out the potential in those parts. Neglecting the part productivity and software usability requires the consumer to replace the product in a shorter amount of time! Therefore, the consumer spends more money!!!

I.E. How many PCs will you go through versus owning 'one' Mac??? If your PC does last you a long time, how many hours have you spent cleaning it up because of malware, spyware, viruses, etc.???

A Mac owner doesn't worry like a PC owner does.....just like an iDevice owner doesn't worry as much as an Android owner

...BTW, I used to be all about PC and have since converted to Mac after getting tired of constantly restoring my computers cuz of something stupid I clicked on. What a waste of time....
    Last edited by thazsar; 03-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.