Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Apple Planning to Introduce a Cheaper 8GB iPad?

Default Is Apple Planning to Introduce a Cheaper 8GB iPad?

Digitimes continues to pump out the iPad related rumors in the days before Apple’s March 7th event, this time reporting Apple could be preparing a cheaper 8GB iPad 2 to unveil alongside the iPad 3.

Citing their usual unnamed sources, Digitimes' claims the move would allow Apple to “cover different segments” of the market, most likely those dominated by the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.

The rumors likely stem from Apple’s introduction of a previously unavailable cheaper 8GB iPhone 4 alongside the iPhone 4S in October. Apple’s extension into less-developed economies has increased the demand for cheaper iDevices, and increased the reward for doing so.

However, 8GB is a paltry amount of space for a 10” tablet, and 8GB would disappear even quicker with the inclusion of a retina display. Perhaps Apple will finally unveil the long rumored 7” iPad or maybe they’re decreasing the price of the iPad line altogether. Most manufacturers would simply decrease the price of the iPad 2 versions already available, but Apple isn’t keen on people buying old cheaper products. Apple at best would make a single iPad 2 version available, in an effort to push consumers toward the latest and greatest.

The anticipation and expectations for Apple’s event next week continue to build. And so does the possibility of being underwhelmed.

Source: Digitimes [via CNET]

ipad retina apps must have huge app size since they need retina images, so 8gb? that's useless idea...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I can kind of see how a cheap smaller 8GB iPad might be cool, but the space is almost nothing! You'd probably just use apps on it, that's all the space you could afford. My guess is iTV and iPad 3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Choi Hwanseo View Post
    ipad retina apps must have huge app size since they need retina images, so 8gb? that's useless idea...
    its an 8 gig iPad 2 ... not iPad 3

Man it must be easy to write for this site... all you have to do is wait until every other site has posted something... then put your own spin on it lol.

Watch the next article will be about the supposed iPad 3 front covers that are floating around from a repair site. source http://www.imore.com/2012/03/01/supp...s-home-button/

MY timestamp 955AM PST 550PM (modmyi time)... look at the time when they make a post about it lol.. bet i'm first.
    Last edited by gthugballin; 03-01-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

If this iPad is not retina display. I will not buy it. It better have the the 4gz and big gee b's.

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    its an 8 gig iPad 2 ... not iPad 3

Man it must be easy to write for this site... all you have to do is wait until every other site has posted something... then put your own spin on it lol.

Watch the next article will be about the supposed iPad 3 front covers that are floating around from a repair site. source Supposed iPad 3 front panels show black and white models, home button | iMore

MY timestamp 955AM PST 550PM (modmyi time)... look at the time when they make a post about it lol.. bet i'm first.
    just because an 8gb iPad wont use retina images doesnt mean the app wont include the images.
    but youre spot on with the whole posting LOL they do take a while to report what has been already reported :P
    Last edited by FURBY8704; 03-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

Thanks

This would be good for a beginner..not a vet. A light user not a power user. Options are the spice of life, so keep the options coming :]

Also, what if they start pushing apps to the cloud? 8GB would be more than enough. I use iCloud to sync music and my iPhone has over 10GB of free space. Since "the cloud" seems to be taking over technology these days, maybe Apple is looking to store apps there as well? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by bigboyz; 03-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    This would be good for a beginner..not a vet. A light user not a power user. Options are the spice of life, so keep the options coming :]

Also, what if they start pushing apps to the cloud? 8GB would be more than enough. I use iCloud to sync music and my iPhone has over 10GB of free space. Since "the cloud" seems to be taking over technology these days, maybe Apple is looking to store apps there as well? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ah... i can see where he's coming from now with the whole 8GB thing... u would think tho that the developers would make a iPad HD app and a regular iPad app... i guess it all depends on how nice the devs are lol
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

This would tie in well with their new push toward education solutions. They need to lower the price barrier to entry with a cheaper tablet. A 7-8" student edition with the same specs as the current iPad 2 and a $200-300 price tag would be killer. This isn't unlikely given their student edition MBA.

Banned
    Thanks

8GB would be plenty if apple would make them with micro SD card slots but of course they wont do that because they'd rather sell you a new one rather than let you upgrade your existing.

this seems good for education, untill you realize that every educational textbook is about 1 gig in size...
    and that is excluding those nice biology apps which let you explore the whole human body
    this wouldn't be the good direction education wise if they want to make textbooks populair