+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3 with Retina Display May Cost $80 More Than Past Entry Level Models

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
We've always suspected that if Apple delivered Retina Display on the iPad, customers would definitely have to pay up for it. That much seems to be true in a new
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPad 3 with Retina Display May Cost $80 More Than Past Entry Level Models

We've always suspected that if Apple delivered Retina Display on the iPad, customers would definitely have to pay up for it. That much seems to be true in a new report from the Far East which claims a pretty significant entry-level price hike for Apple's forthcoming third generation tablet.

According to the report in question, which comes from Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, a price comparison sheet indicates that the iPad 3 starts in price at $579 instead of $499, the long-established entry-level price for new iPads.

Although the document in question doesn't specifically reference Retina Display, the only justifiable reason for such a price escalation would be from the added cost of delivering the improved screen quality to the product - which isn't cheap for Apple and, subsequently, for consumers.

As we've seen with the iPhone and other products, Apple likes to be consistent with pricing across new generation models of devices. But if tablet lovers want Retina Display right now, it looks like they're going to have to pay up for it.

As we've reported in recent days, the speculation continues to be that Apple will introduce the iPad 3 on or around March 7th. If so, expect a headline soon on MMi speaking to the freshly mailed invitations by Apple that would surely precede the company's media event.

Source: Sina Weibo (via MacRumors)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

Worth it IMO

Thanks

I doubt they'll raise the price, it isn't Apple-like. Shouldn't they lower their prices like they do for every successor they produce?Let's not forget that the original iPhone back in 2007 cost a whomping $499.99 for the cheapest flavor and now look at today, the cheapest iPhone you can get is the iPhone 3GS for free with a two year commitment. So in conclusion, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to escalate the price tag of the soon to be released iPad 3 from $499 to $80 more. This is a speculation anyways and you know how rumors end up most of the time; false and having the benefit of the doubt. My prediction? iPad 3 for sure will windup having the same price tag.
    Last edited by jose060789; 02-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    I doubt they'll raise the price, it isn't Apple-like. Shouldn't they lower their prices like they do for every successor they produce?Let's not forget that the original iPhone back in 2007 cost a whomping $499.99 for the cheapest flavor and now look at today, the cheapest iPhone you can get is the iPhone 3GS for free with a two year commitment. So in conclusion, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to escalate the price tag of the of soon to be released iPad 3 from $499 to $80 more. This is a speculation anyways and you know how rumors end up most of the time; false and having the benefit of the doubt. My prediction? iPad 3 for sure will windup having the same price tag.
    They raised the iPod touch by $30 in 2010, then lowered it back to $199 in 2011.

Thanks

Can I pay a little more and make mine a PHONE too?
    PLEASE????

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt they'll raise the price, it isn't Apple-like. Shouldn't they lower their prices like they do for every successor they produce?Let's not forget that the original iPhone back in 2007 cost a whomping $499.99 for the cheapest flavor and now look at today, the cheapest iPhone you can get is the iPhone 3GS for free with a two year commitment. So in conclusion, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to escalate the price tag of the of soon to be released iPad 3 from $499 to $80 more. This is a speculation anyways and you know how rumors end up most of the time; false and having the benefit of the doubt. My prediction? iPad 3 for sure will windup having the same price tag.
    If the rumor is true, then this could end up keeping the iPad 2 at its normal price probably being lowered towards the Fall months when other iDevices start seeing their refreshes. This is historically accurate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    They raised the iPod touch by $30 in 2010, then lowered it back to $199 in 2011.
    True but iPad 3 will mostly like be the same and it won't have anything new besides the retina display.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Apple will keep the current price points. If they do raise it $80 for the entry level iPad, it would probably be a 32GB as opposed to a 16GB with 64GB and 128GB as options.

True but iPad 3 will mostly like be the same and it won't have anything new besides the retina display.
    I would hope they update more than just the display. Camera and processor also to handle that resolution.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    If the rumor is true, then this could end up keeping the iPad 2 at its normal price probably being lowered towards the Fall months when other iDevices start seeing their refreshes. This is historically accurate.
    Keep in mind that the only new things in the iPad 3 for sure will be the retina display and slightly better processor. Wouldn't make since to raise the price to $80 more for small upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    I think Apple will keep the current price points. If they do raise it $80 for the entry level iPad, it would probably be a 32GB as opposed to a 16GB with 64GB and 128GB as options.

I would hope they update more than just the display. Camera and processor also to handle that resolution.
    That too, the camera will probably be upgraded but not substantially.

[QUOTE=TheOrioles33;6427054]I think Apple will keep the current price points. If they do raise it $80 for the entry level iPad, it would probably be a 32GB as opposed to a 16GB with 64GB and 128GB as options.

+1 Yes I couldn't more with you, this sounds more logical for them to do that, 16GB is nothing if you have a crap load of media but then again most people just stream.
    Last edited by jose060789; 02-27-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Well they couldn't have a retina display for that particular screen size without a new processor which is still rumored to he the A6. The A6 processor is substantially better performance than the A5 in iPad 2. The A5X processor could be a revamp for iPad 2 or a more cost efficient iPad 3, but I doubt they will start doing the minor refresh updates like they do with the iPhone (i.e. 3GS, 4S). I can expect the 8MP camera currently on iPhone 4S to find its way to iPad 3 or something better like a 10MP and an addition of an LED flash. I really don't care about the design aspects since it is a tablet. What more would you want in a tablet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

So what iPhone LCD replacement is 200$ so a 80$ increase for a retina display is reasonable.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what I was afraid of. If true, the iPad 3 will likely NOT be the first iPad I own after all.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime Caudebec View Post
    So what iPhone LCD replacement is 200$ so a 80$ increase for a retina display is reasonable.
    What if they also tell you the $80 you get the A5X instead of the A6? For the A6 it would then be $150 more? Wonder how many would find that acceptable? I wouldn't get another one because I have iPad 1 and iPad 2 (gifts I did not buy), would not buy an iPad because I rather have a more powerful notebook.
    Last edited by unison999; 02-27-2012 at 02:15 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Ouch!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    What if they also tell you the $80 you get the A5X instead of the A6? For the A6 it would then be $150 more? Wonder how many would find that acceptable? I wouldn't get another one because I have iPad 1 and iPad 2 (gifts I did not buy), would not buy an iPad because I rather have a more powerful notebook.
    Must be nice to just have people GIFT you a couple of iPads.......With that being said, most people that own an iPad already have a "more powerful notebook" an iPad is nothing but a media consuming device/toy. If I did not already have a 15" Macbook pro or some other type of laptop/desktop, then I would not be worrying about getting an iPad.

Guess we will all have to wait and see! Hopefully next week we will know how much it is and what its sporting for specs. Either way I am upgrading my iPad 1 to the 3. Can't wait!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is what I was afraid of. If true, the iPad 3 will likely NOT be the first iPad I own after all.
    So 3 models of iPad will come and go? what are you waiting for?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Must be nice to just have people GIFT you a couple of iPads.......
    uhhh I paid thousands for diamond pendent on one person, and $1700 for another to buy her a LV Purse.
    That would mean I am still in the hole.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

80$ is pocket change

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple could release a ipad 2 re branded as ipad 3 and everyone would piss their pants to get one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    uhhh I paid thousands for diamond pendent on one person, and $1700 for another to buy her a LV Purse.
    That would mean I am still in the hole.
    Thanks for sharing, but we really don't give a crap.