+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Patent Reveals Apple Working on Universal Touchscreen Remote

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default New Patent Reveals Apple Working on Universal Touchscreen Remote

A patent application recently published by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office earlier today reveals that Apple is looking with the idea of a universal touchscreen controller capable of controlling multiple devices including a “television, a video tape player, a video disk player, a stereo, a home control system, or a computer screen.” The patent application is titled “Apparatus and Method to Facilitate Universal Remote Control” and was filed September 30, 2011.

The patent discusses many of the issues with current controllers for televisions and the devices mentioned above. It noted that many of today’s universal remotes are “complex to operate” and unable to adapt to incorporate every command or control functionality supported by a device or future device. It also mentions the fact that often many users end up stuck with multiple remotes, which leads to the classic “table full of remotes” scenario described by Steve Jobs when talking about the Apple TV at D8. The patent application explained the following:

While all of these buttons and switches are necessary for complete control of the appliance, users typically use only a small subset of the total controls on the remote control. The controls that are not normally used clutter the remote control and can cause confusion to the user when trying to locate a seldom-used feature.…users must spend time learning a new remote control or programming an existing universal remote control each time they purchase a new remotely controllable appliance, which detracts from the enjoyment of using the appliance after it is first purchased…What is needed is an apparatus and a method to provide remote control over multiple appliances without the difficulties described above.
    Apple’s solution to the issues seems to include an automatic “discovery mechanism,” which would allow the remote to pair with other devices over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. The patent describes being able to customize the user interface on the remote’s touchscreen without the universal remote control needing any “special knowledge” of the device. What this would lead to is graphical representations for any given device, such as layouts, being stored in the device and sent to the remote control wirelessly. The patent application also describes using the remote with multiple devices simultaneously through a list of “active appliances.”

The unique user interfaces sent from a device to the remote could also be customizable by the manufacturer of the device, hinting that the remote could control third-party appliances as well. It was noted by Apple that the user interface “can also display an icon such as the manufacturer’s logo, user instructions, or an advertising message on the remote control.”

The interesting thing here is the possibility of Apple experimenting with touchscreen remotes with adaptable user interfaces to interact with the rumored Apple television set. Many reports are claiming that the unveiled Apple television set will feature voice-control courtesy of a Siri-like functionality but there hasn’t been any mention of a universal remote. This seems to give users an elegant non-voice activated method to control not only the television set but other appliances as well through the use of a universal remote, which may end up being Apple’s iOS devices such as the iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.

We’ll just have to wait and see but this does leave us excited and expecting good things to come.

Source: U.S. Patent & Trademark Office

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

What's better to have a iPad 1 64gb AT&T or a iPhone 4s 32gb AT&T?
    Sorry if off topic

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I rather have the 4s.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Sorry if off topic
    Depends what your needs are.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    New screens to break

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No cludder? That's just another device to add. How about giving the iPhone all of those capabilities since its already close to it anyway. Just an app and I've got an all in one for sure. I'm holding an A5 device in my hand, why would I want a device that is actually more limited than my iPhone? It'll probably cost 99 bucks for the remote. I'll stick to plex remote and my phone. The coolest remote ever and cost me just a Couple of bucks. Gesture pad, my movies and tv at my finger tips with thumbnails and full control. This idea in my opinion is just sheep bait.
    Last edited by flash66; 01-27-2012 at 03:08 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sorry if off topic
    I'd get the 4S now then the iPad 3 when it comes out in a couple months.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry if off topic
    I'd rather have the 4s. I have an iPad 1g and it's sluggish. But the 4s is real speedy

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just use Redeye remote App. Its customisable and learns new IR codes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I'd get the 4S now then the iPad 3 when it comes out in a couple months.
    Ok I got the 4s but should I get the iPad 2 since its jailbreakable now or buy an iPad 3 when it comes out & hope for a JB?