+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Canadian Consumers Purchase Clay iPad 2s Swapped out by Scammers

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Canadian Consumers Purchase Clay iPad 2s Swapped out by Scammers

Nothing quite like spending $500 and opening up your mint iPad 2 box to find a giant piece of clay. At least it wasnít coal right?

A number of Canadian consumers thought the same thing this holiday season after some sneaky scammers returned a number of iPad 2s with clay replicas in the boxes instead of iPad 2s. The total number of iPad 2s swapped is as many as 24 all at Future Shop, Best Buy, Walmart and London stores.

Future Shop and Best Buy claim scammers swapped up to 10 devices out at their locations with, Walmart investigating another 10, and London Drugs acknowledging four instances. Obviously customers opening their iPad 2 boxes to find clay were rightfully dismayed, and even worse concerned how retailers would react to them returning a box filled with clay.

Dayna Chabot purchased a clay 32GB iPad 2 at a Walmart in Langley just south of Vancouver and was refunded her money within 20 minutes of speaking to a manager. However, Mark Sandhu, who purchased his clay iPad at a Future Shop, claims Future Shop management treated him like a criminal when he tried to return his fake device to Future Shop. Sanhdhu has since been given a full refund, but only after taking his story to CTV.

Best Buy and Future Shop have changed their store policy in response to the scam and require users returning devices to open up the packaging to make sure all the components are present before accepting a return. Common sense is apparently not emphasized at these institutions.

Personally Iíve had had the experience of seeing an open-box iPad 2 purchased from Best Buy returned because after inspection the device was obviously more than an open-box floor unit. The iPad 2 had extensive scratching on the back, and on the screen, and was sold for only $20 cheaper than a brand-new iPad 2. Somehow that seems a little ridiculous.

Anyone here ever been bit by the fake item retail bug or shady return policies?

Source: CTV

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

I get no credit for this? I sent an email a couple days ago...pfft

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

Thanks

Wow i would be pissed if my fresh ipad was not in their!!
    Im sure your going to see a few people that actually got their ipad and just want to cash in.... Greed

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Best Buy and Future Shop have changed their store policy
    Wasn't this already the policy? How could a clerk be so lazy as to not even open the box to return a 500$ tablet?
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I thought opening up returns to verify the contents was already standard procedure for almost all stores. Even more so on high dollar items.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    Wasn't this already the policy? How could a clerk be so lazy as to not even open the box to return a 500$ tablet?
    Maybe it was completely sealed? That is the only reason I can think of. Maybe they did a really good job putting shrinkwrap back on it and the store clerk couldnt tell it was open.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Similiar things have happend to me before. I remember buying Fire Emblem for GBA at GameStop and the box was empty and also a brand new copy of Didy Kong Racing for DS on release dates wich had save files,created with a bunch of progress.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I had a same thing 4-5 years ago at london drugs (In Vancouver BC) brought a high end graphic's card got home opened the box and there were wood blocks...took it back to London Drugs and they were wtf are you trying to pull...but lucky they said they will look into it....4 hours later I get a call saying a similar case was reported at another london drugs...went back and got a full refund. so it was not too bad I suppose....But I never shop at London Drugs now! Guess I may have to get retails to open the products now

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

lmao and people look at me like I am crazy when I open stuff before I walk out the door.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i wonder if any employees were involved with this scam? an employee can easily swap the ipad2 with clay and reseal it. then a customer buys it and wraps it up as a gift

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kil0111 View Post
    Good Lookin out kid!! The staff and I appreciate your news tip. However, if you were doing it intending to get recognized, then you may have as well asked the writers to recognize you.......

It's not as though you found waldo/an exploit.
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 01-19-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Maybe it was completely sealed? That is the only reason I can think of. Maybe they did a really good job putting shrinkwrap back on it and the store clerk couldnt tell it was open.
    Yeah , I guess they are completely sealed so no questions asked for return.

Thanks

From now on, how about we all record an un-boxing video of the product we purchase so we can have proof to show to the retail if we get scammed?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If a customer returns a sealed item back and the customer claims that they purchased the wrong item or decide not to keep it, then usually the item will return to the shelf as new.

Hot shrink bags and sealers can be purchased all over eBay.

It costs a lot of money for the retailers to return used/opened items to the suppliers so any chance they can put the unit back on the shelf as new, they would.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    Good Lookin out kid!! The staff and I appreciate your news tip. However, if you were doing it intending to get recognized, then you may have as well asked the writers to recognize you.......

It's not as though you found waldo/an exploit.
    Ha I'm over it... just saw the article and scrolled right to 'source'
    but thanks for that undeserved recognition bro, pat on the back goes a long way

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I remeber returning a computer to BJ's a couple of years ago. It was sealed never opened. They actually opened the box in front of me took the computer out AND matched the serial number to the number on the box!!! I thought it was pretty bizarre but now I see why they probably did that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 return
    Most of the iPads that were returned had been resealed in the plastic so it appeared the the iPad was still untouched when intact someone had swapped the iPad for a similar mass chuck of clay or terracotta

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got a fake ps3 game at wallmart one time. They kicked me out and called the cops when I tried to return it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Presumably the returned boxes had the serial numbers of the original iPads that were removed from them. Can they be tracked when they're synced? I wonder if Apple cooperates with investigations like this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kil0111 View Post
    You forgot to say you were "first"...

This is a common ploy. There was a rash of console game disc that were being swapped out with blank disc about a year ago. Somehow they were slipping it out without damaging the packaging.