+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Looks for $1 Billion Bond to Expand U.S. Processor Plant

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Looks for $1 Billion Bond to Expand U.S. Processor Plant

The South Korean electronics manufacturer recently revealed that it will issue its first overseers bond since 1997 to fund an expansion at its Austin plant, which produces processors used in mobile devices including those used in Apple’s iOS devices. According to Businessweek, Samsung spokesman James Chung noted that the company has filed proposals to multiple banks to borrow up to $1 billion in five-year maturity bonds issued by the company’s U.S. branch.

It is being said that the company’s logic-chip business which currently oversees the production of Apple’s A4 an dA5 processors may double spending to 8 trillion won (roughly $6.95 billion) in 2012. It’s unclear whether the boost in manufacturing capability is for the company’s own mobile devices or to handle demand for an announced chip that will be powering the next generation iPad.

Samsung’s Austin plant reached a maximum capacity in October 2011 when smartphone shipments saw a year-to-year increase of 44% according to Strategy Analytics Inc. The company’s handsets are direct competitors with Apple’s iPhone business and posted record earnings earlier this month with profits hitting $4.5 billion in the December quarter riding on an estimated 32 million smartphone sales. As of September 30, 2011, Samsung had over $19.2 billion in cash and equivalents according to Bloomberg. Estimates are now saying the company’s operating profit which doubled in 2011 is most likely to grow 82% in 2012. Furthermore, the two have been tangled in a worldwide patent dispute since April 2011.

Nonetheless, it isn’t a surprise that one of Apple’s manufacturers would be looking to expand further as Apple continues to grow. Are you surprised? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Businessweek

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Demand is high...I can't blame them
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Thanks

Oh Samsung, borrowing more money to try to pretend you have a lot of money just like Apple... When are you gonna stop trying to copy Apple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Oh Samsung, borrowing more money to try to pretend you have a lot of money just like Apple... When are you gonna stop trying to copy Apple?
    Such a narrow-minded statement...

Thanks

If rumors are right and apple are looking at putting a different chip in future idevices this seems a bit of a risk for samsung,let's just hope the childish goings on between the 2 can be sorted and peace restored.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    If rumors are right and apple are looking at putting a different chip in future idevices this seems a bit of a risk for samsung,let's just hope the childish goings on between the 2 can be sorted and peace restored.
    Not really since it will also boost Samsung ability to produce their OLED, not just the chips

Thanks

[QUOTE=Painkiller006;6370199]Not really since it will also boost Samsung ability to produce their OLED, not just the chips

That would make more sense,from how the article read (to me anyway)it was just expanding to be able to produce a higher volume of chips.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    typical under-aged 12 response.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do new work

Do not copy apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    Such a narrow-minded statement...
    I know it's almost so ridiculous that it could be a joke.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    That would make more sense,from how the article read (to me anyway)it was just expanding to be able to produce a higher volume of chips.
    Yup, i read it the same way but i had come across this somewhere else
    Last edited by Painkiller006; 01-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    It was written by Anthony, one of mmi hardcore fanboy. It reads like Samsung it's only expanding for Apple and it's chips but that's not the only reason.
    This article wasn't written by me. So, lol. You must be a Samsung fanboy. Welcome!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.