+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Owners Relying Less on Laptops in Enterprise Sector

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to the not-so-surprising findings of a new IDG Connect study, Apple's iPad is dramatically impacting the ways in which people use technology in the enterprise sector. Analogous to how
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPad Owners Relying Less on Laptops in Enterprise Sector

According to the not-so-surprising findings of a new IDG Connect study, Apple's iPad is dramatically impacting the ways in which people use technology in the enterprise sector.

Analogous to how BlackBerry ultimately took a backseat to the iPhone as a leading smartphone for business professionals, a growing number of Americans are chucking their laptops and using the iPad almost exclusively in the enterprise sector.

IDG finds that 12% of the participating workers in the survey indicate that the iPad has completely replaced their laptop, with another 54% admitting that the iPad has at least partially replaced their laptop.

"If a majority of professionals still use laptops, the iPad has certainly curtailed usage levels," the report asserts. "Nearly three-quarters of respondents say that they 'carry their laptop around less' now that they own an iPad."

Perhaps the most telling find of the study is that 9 in 10 iPad owners use their tablets at work.

Source: IDG

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No surprise it was bound to happened!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I use my iPhone and iPad for most everything. It's rare that I use PC or laptop outside of work. I could use my iPad for certain things at work but they don't have an app for the software we use.

Banned
    Thanks

Oh brother, the iFad will NEVER replace laptops, PERIOD! It lacks wayyyyyyyy toooo many things for that to ever become reality. Doesn't even have a USB port The people who took that survey and are saying that the iFad "replaced their laptop" clearly don't do anything other than surf the web.

Just wait till Windows 8 drops which is tablet ready, gonna be on and poppin to have a tablet with a full blown Computer OS on it
    Last edited by GuessWhosBack; 01-16-2012 at 12:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apart from pricing, I would take a laptop over an iPad any day. Laptops do a lot more than a regular iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Another survey that proves that most people going on about how laptops will never be replaced by tablets don't have a clue about the real world. I love the "tablets" can't do what laptops do argument...LMAO!! Like the general population is using their laptops to hack into the pentagon or doing CAD designs 12 hours a day.

Thanks
    My father uses his iPad 2 everywhere he goes now. He has the 3G+Wifi version and he uses it in his company corporate meetings and everywhere he goes. He rarely carries his MacBook pro with him now. His MacBook pro usually stays in his hotel room, or just in his bag most of the time. Tablets are changing the industry fast.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuessWhosBack View Post
    Oh brother, the iFad will NEVER replace laptops, PERIOD! It lacks wayyyyyyyy toooo many things for that to ever become reality. Doesn't even have a USB port The people who took that survey and are saying that the iFad "replaced their laptop" clearly don't do anything other than surf the web.

Just wait till Windows 8 drops which is tablet ready, gonna be on and poppin to have a tablet with a full blown Computer OS on it
    The sad thing is, you actually believe what you just said LOL typical Windblows fanboy that still thinks you need a USB port.. For what??? To connect a printer? A hard drive? A mouse? Get a clue!
    Last edited by jbardi; 01-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

YOU may be right but my ipad does things my laptop cannot! i.e. I get a PDF in my email that I need to sign, I open it in a PDF reader on my ipad sign it with my finger or digital pen and send back! On my laptop I need to print it sign it then scan it back in. I could cut and paste a copy of my signature on my laptop but it is not anywhere near as good.

My ipad has a 10 hour battery life, I have it with me almost all the time and when I need to access my laptop or server well I just remote desktop into it and run ANY application that I need to. IF I have a document that is not already in dropbox I an put it there with remote desktop and have it on my ipad in less than a minute. I use my laptop a lot still but less and less. I can recharge it in my car a hotel or anywhere I am with a tiny usb cable and a charge plug instead of my laptop bag with its large power adapter. I have tried several tablets over the years including $2000 Lenovo convertibles and Motion computing tablets but none come close to the ipad!! Like I said when I need the bigger computing power I just remote into my server get my work done and transfer whatever I need to the cloud or the ipad pretty seamlessly!
    Oh and the lack of a usb port? Would be nice I guess but I have not found myself missing it! I have an adapter that I use to mirror video and presentations out to HDMI AND a SD card reader so I'm good! Oh and I still have the ipad 1 If I need pics I use my iphone! Oh and I do not play games so I do not have any on my ipad but I do read on it and watch Netflix!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The reason a USB port (or some other port with similar) functionality will be necessary in order to COMPLETELY get rid of modern computers is because iPads still essentially require these machines to exists.

Printing: Sure you have air print. Try and set up a networked printer without a Max or PC.

Productivity: We are moving along in this segment, but as it currently sits, it's tough to write a paper, or anything with large amounts of text, for that matter, without a hard keyboard.

Applications: Apple is really limited. Honestly and truly they are. There are companies that run their own specific software and want to be able to distribute at will. Currently, Apple doesn't really allow this.

OS Limitations: This sort of links to a lot of the above steps, but there are so many more things that can be done on a Windows/Mac computer, that I don't even know where to start.

This isn't meant as an insult, but those that are truly able to replace their laptops with an iPad in it current form simply don't do a whole lot on their computer. This is fine. You are simply buying a product for your needs. Before that the aptop fit those needs best, but it obviously did MORE than what many people wanted. There is now a cheaper, more compact alternative for that. Everybody wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Another survey that proves that most people going on about how laptops will never be replaced by tablets don't have a clue about the real world. I love the "tablets" can't do what laptops do argument...LMAO!! Like the general population is using their laptops to hack into the pentagon or doing CAD designs 12 hours a day.
    Another person that thinks a survey reported on mmi is proof of anything.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    The reason a USB port (or some other port with similar) functionality will be necessary in order to COMPLETELY get rid of modern computers is because iPads still essentially require these machines to exists.

Printing: Sure you have air print. Try and set up a networked printer without a Max or PC.

Productivity: We are moving along in this segment, but as it currently sits, it's tough to write a paper, or anything with large amounts of text, for that matter, without a hard keyboard.

Applications: Apple is really limited. Honestly and truly they are. There are companies that run their own specific software and want to be able to distribute at will. Currently, Apple doesn't really allow this.

OS Limitations: This sort of links to a lot of the above steps, but there are so many more things that can be done on a Windows/Mac computer, that I don't even know where to start.

This isn't meant as an insult, but those that are truly able to replace their laptops with an iPad in it current form simply don't do a whole lot on their computer. This is fine. You are simply buying a product for your needs. Before that the aptop fit those needs best, but it obviously did MORE than what many people wanted. There is now a cheaper, more compact alternative for that. Everybody wins!

Another person that thinks a survey reported on mmi is proof of anything.
    LOL....at this entire post being irrelevant. Want proof check netbook sales or rather clearance sales...all these exact same arguments were levelled in favour of that dodo bird, guess what...laptops are next. "Hard keyboard" there are PLENTY of solutions around that IF and thats a big IF its so required. LOL at the OS and APP argument....thats not even worth discussing. All I will say is that this survey was done on ENTERPRISE clients.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    The sad thing is, you actually believe what you just said LOL typical Windblows fanboy that still thinks you need a USB port.. For what??? To connect a printer? A hard drive? A mouse? Get a clue!
    Actually YEAH!! You make it sound like a USB port is so useless only because your iFad doesn't have one but that works both ways as I could sit here and laugh at you seeing as how your iFad can't even do something as simple as browse a website with FLASH! Don't even get me started on the lack of STORAGE EXPANSION with an iFad. Oh and how bout comparing that wussy A5 processor that iFad carries to some of Intel's dual core processors? Yeah no comparison there. Oh and how much RAM does that iFad have? Oh yeah a whopping 512mb!! WHOA that's wayyyy more than the 4GB most netbooks offer. But then of course the cost of the iFad is where it really shines over a netbook/laptop right? Yeah because for the $830 you pay for the highest iFad that Crapple offers you could have gotten a full blown Toshiba Portege Ultrabook, 13.3" display, 4GB RAM, 1.4GHz processor, 128mb SSD hard drive, 8 HOURS BATTERY LIFE (since you wanna act like only the iFad can pull that off), oh and lest we forget TWO USB 2.0 ports and ONE USB 3.0 port!! Not to mention most importantly it runs a FULL BLOWN OS so you can do practically ANYTHING compared to an iFad. Oh and it's $30 bucks LESS THAN THE iFAD!! The model is Z835-P330 just in case you wanna call my bluff!

Point proven yet you call me a WinBlows fanboy but I swear only a Crapple fanboi would argue how much more powerful an iFad is compared to a laptop. You're probably also the kinda person that would try to convince someone that VHS is far more superior than Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    YOU may be right but my ipad does things my laptop cannot! i.e. I get a PDF in my email that I need to sign, I open it in a PDF reader on my ipad sign it with my finger or digital pen and send back! On my laptop I need to print it sign it then scan it back in. I could cut and paste a copy of my signature on my laptop but it is not anywhere near as good.

My ipad has a 10 hour battery life, I have it with me almost all the time and when I need to access my laptop or server well I just remote desktop into it and run ANY application that I need to. IF I have a document that is not already in dropbox I an put it there with remote desktop and have it on my ipad in less than a minute. I use my laptop a lot still but less and less. I can recharge it in my car a hotel or anywhere I am with a tiny usb cable and a charge plug instead of my laptop bag with its large power adapter. I have tried several tablets over the years including $2000 Lenovo convertibles and Motion computing tablets but none come close to the ipad!! Like I said when I need the bigger computing power I just remote into my server get my work done and transfer whatever I need to the cloud or the ipad pretty seamlessly!
    Oh and the lack of a usb port? Would be nice I guess but I have not found myself missing it! I have an adapter that I use to mirror video and presentations out to HDMI AND a SD card reader so I'm good! Oh and I still have the ipad 1 If I need pics I use my iphone! Oh and I do not play games so I do not have any on my ipad but I do read on it and watch Netflix!
    Oh wow one thing really sign a document?? LMAO well I'm so glad you spent all that money on your iFad so you could "sign documents". Maybe if you were smarter you would know that you could do something as simple as SCANNING YOUR SIGNATURE AND SAVING IT AS A PICTURE SO YOU COULD COPY AND PASTE IT ON YOUR DOCUMENTS!!!!!! Once again proves my point of what kinda people use the iFAD!!
    Last edited by GuessWhosBack; 01-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

This is an Apple forum. Windows sucks. USB port is unecessary. An iPad can replace 95% of laptop usage.

I set up AirPrint on my Epson printer without a Mac or PC. Windows is ugly.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    This is an Apple forum. Windows sucks. USB port is unecessary. An iPad can replace 95% of laptop usage.

I set up AirPrint on my Epson printer without a Mac or PC. Windows is ugly.
    An iFad can replace 95% of laptop usage.......... WOW simply WOW

But then again with a user name like MetallicaFan1991, I guess that pretty explains a lot. Repping a band that basically went from COOL to FOOL definitely shows where your interests are
    Last edited by GuessWhosBack; 01-16-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

i use my iPad to surf this website

Thanks

The whole argument boils down to whether you need to consume data or create data. If you primarily need to consume data, the iPad can do virtually everything you do with your laptop but in a smaller, lighter package with longer battery life.

If you create data, the iPad is not as useful. It's much harder to create content on an iPad than on a laptop/desktop.

In the enterprise, a large percentage of people primarily consume data, creating very little. IE, they read/review a lot of information. Thus, high iPad adoption rates in the enterprise. The end.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbil View Post
    The whole argument boils down to whether you need to consume data or create data. If you primarily need to consume data, the iPad can do virtually everything you do with your laptop but in a smaller, lighter package with longer battery life.

If you create data, the iPad is not as useful. It's much harder to create content on an iPad than on a laptop/desktop.

In the enterprise, a large percentage of people primarily consume data, creating very little. IE, they read/review a lot of information. Thus, high iPad adoption rates in the enterprise. The end.
    I agree 100%!! I'm not saying that the iFad is completely useless. I'm simply arguing with these dumb dumb's who think that the iFad COMPLETELY REPLACES A LAPTOP!

Regardless though the iFad does have it's place but DEFINITELY isn't worth the price tag that Crapple offers them at. If you bought your iFad of eBay or Craigslist then you're doing just fine
    Last edited by GuessWhosBack; 01-17-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks

Actually YEAH!! You make it sound like a USB port is so useless only because your iFad doesn't have one but that works both ways as I could sit here and laugh at you seeing as how your iFad can't even do something as simple as browse a website with FLASH! Don't even get me started on the lack of STORAGE EXPANSION with an iFad. Oh and how bout comparing that wussy A5 processor that iFad carries to some of Intel's dual core processors? Yeah no comparison there. Oh and how much RAM does that iFad have? Oh yeah a whopping 512mb!! WHOA that's wayyyy more than the 4GB most netbooks offer. But then of course the cost of the iFad is where it really shines over a netbook/laptop right? Yeah because for the $830 you pay for the highest iFad that Crapple offers you could have gotten a full blown Toshiba Portege Ultrabook, 13.3" display, 4GB RAM, 1.4GHz processor, 128mb SSD hard drive, 8 HOURS BATTERY LIFE (since you wanna act like only the iFad can pull that off), oh and lest we forget TWO USB 2.0 ports and ONE USB 3.0 port!! Not to mention most importantly it runs a FULL BLOWN OS so you can do practically ANYTHING compared to an iFad. Oh and it's $30 bucks LESS THAN THE iFAD!! The model is Z835-P330 just in case you wanna call my bluff!

Point proven yet you call me a WinBlows fanboy but I swear only a Crapple fanboi would argue how much more powerful an iFad is compared to a laptop. You're probably also the kinda person that would try to convince someone that VHS is far more superior than Blu-Ray

Oh wow one thing really sign a document?? LMAO well I'm so glad you spent all that money on your iFad so you could "sign documents". Maybe if you were smarter you would know that you could do something as simple as SCANNING YOUR SIGNATURE AND SAVING IT AS A PICTURE SO YOU COULD COPY AND PASTE IT ON YOUR DOCUMENTS!!!!!! Once again proves my point of what kinda people use the iFAD!!
    Trolls and ******* lie, numbers don't

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22462...lysts_say.html

Now GTFOH you dumbass troll.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

WHY SO HOSTILE????
    I gave the signing of a document as an example, I even stated that I "could" use a scanned sig but it was NOT as elegant. I don't have to insult your intelligence you are doing a fine job of it yourself...

There are pluses and minuses with all platforms and devices. AS I stated and the article explains the ipad cannot replace a desktop or laptop...yet. But I have it on me all the time. Its small form factor fits in my coat, I do not have to lug around my laptop bag open it turn it on wait to boot etc. etc. I just pull out my ipad do waht i need to do and pop it back in my coat pocket. OH and I am not a big fan of either platfrom. I use windows laptops and a win 2003 server. AND I only paid $450 for my 64gb 3g ipad when ATT stores were blowing them out for the ipad 2!!!