+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CES 2012: OnLive Introduces Virtual Windows 7 Desktop App for the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default CES 2012: OnLive Introduces Virtual Windows 7 Desktop App for the iPad

The somewhat popular video game streaming company OnLive has announced a free, streaming, virtual Microsoft Windows 7 desktop app for the iPad. The OnLive Desktop app which was announced at CES will eventually expand to other platforms, including the Mac. Users will have access to full-featured versions of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.

With applications running on high-end computing clusters in OnLive’s data centers, the only thing that might hold off performance is the network you are on. This possibly means with today’s world of broadband connectivity, Windows applications running on the iPad may possible be faster than those running on a standard Windows 7 laptop.

For those of you who are interested in utilizing the service, the Desktop app will be available in a freemium model. The free version provides users with 2GB worth of cloud storage and the ability to use Windows 7 applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as other utilities and games on the iPad. In the near future, OnLive expects to launch OnLive Desktop Pro, which is said to be a more robust service offering up to 50 GB of storage, priority access, additional apps and other features for a $9.99 monthly fee. It also promises collaboration features for enterprise users such as sharing documents or working on virtual whiteboards.

CES show goers who have tried the app at the OnLive HQ as mentioning that there is a bit of perceptible lag but overall the ability to manipulate objects with fingers and flipping through PowerPoint presentations on a desktop miles away is pretty impressive. I for one can’t wait to get my hands on the app and give it a whirl. If it functions well, I can see it becoming successful very quickly amongst many users for a variety of different reasons. With the freemium model, it can’t hurt to give the app and the service a shot.

The best part of all this news is that the OnLive Desktop for the iPad will be available for free on the App Store starting this Thursday in the U.S. and “soon” in the UK. On that note, how many of you will be picking up and utilizing the app and its features? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: GigaOm

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

kinda like logmein, eh?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nothing like LogMeIn!!! LogMeIn connects you to your personal desktop, this is like the now defunct Ghost virtual desktop. This will connect you to a virtual Win7 desktop and work like remote control services except the whole thing is stored in some data center and not your own desktop. So no, nothing like LogMeIn because it doesn't require you to have a desktop to connect to!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bleucrayonz View Post
    kinda like logmein, eh?
    Except you don't need a computer to log in to :scratchhead

Thanks

This is retarded.
    - No space,
    - Likely a bunch of restrictions on what you can install,
    - Pain in the *** to access your personal files,
    - $9.99/mo for it to be remotely useful,

OR

Use Logmein.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    This is retarded.
    - No space,
    - Likely a bunch of restrictions on what you can install,
    - Pain in the *** to access your personal files,
    - $9.99/mo for it to be remotely useful,

OR

Use Logmein.
    Except for the fact that logmein is slow, laggy, no sound, terrible resolution and connection.

While OnLive uses huge data centers with hundreds of basically supercomputers running with a 10 Gigabit connection using a compression algorithm that took 10 years to develop and is far superior in every aspect to what steve perlman referred to as "conventionally streaming methods" in netflix and the such. Onlive has the ability to stream 4K resolution with full uncompromised audio in less than 80 miliseconds of latency.

Ive been using OnLive on my mac since it was in beta and although some connection issues causing inconsistent resolution existed it has come a long way! Ive been using Onlives playable android app on my Galaxy tab 10.1 (which has way higher res than ipad) and playing Assassins Creed revelations running over Verizons 4G LTE and the results are freakin amazing! It literally runs smoother and more fluid than my xbox 360 with virtually no loading times and full amazing graphics and completely controllable with their universal controller (which works and looks identical to an xbox controller) when Im in a hotel with no xbox, no way to hook up to a tv and i swear the experience is nicer than my xbox when Im using it on my ipad. Of course once I move to 3G or have a slow wifi connection graphical issues do occur.

Anyways if it can handle hardcore console gaming that impressively on a tablet theres no doubt the amazingness it holds for running windows on the ipad.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/onlive-launches-desktop-app-streams-start-menus-and-office/
    Watch the video in that link. Its an actual demo of Steve showing it off and it just looks incredible! Look how fast everything just instantly loads. Word and powerpoint take at least 30 seconds to a minute to load on my 2ghz dual core iMac but it opens instantly in less than a second. Same with the video he played in the video link and that loaded instantly with HD resolution, NO lag at all and full audio.
    Not to mention theres native windows touch gestures that work like crap in VNC apps like logmein or even splashtop.
    When its running using OnLives streaming compression algorithm with their huge millions of dollar data centers its gonna create a million times greater experience than some developers VNC connection.

As amazing a productivity tool it is Im probably gonna find myself paying the $10 a month so I can download my own apps and do things like playing COD, Halo, and skyrim on my ipad because those games will never come to onlive gaming with microsoft in the way. The flash browser that will run flash fastert than the fastest computer with sites like Hulu sure will be nice too.

If you still have doubts then wait till thursday and try it for yourself because the basic version with access to office will be free.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's just novel for users to be able to use Word, Excel, PP, etc. on their iDevice. There wouldn't seem to be much else good about it. Especially at that price point.
    It has nothing to do with LogMeIn, which is only to control a remote PC. This is literally just to use a virtual 7 machine from their cloud to have the ability to use popular Windows apps on your iDevice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It isn't your computer. It is a virtual desktop provided by Microsoft on their cloud servers. Sounds like an amazing service. Especially for free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Except for the fact that logmein is slow, laggy, no sound, terrible resolution and connection.

While OnLive uses huge data centers with hundreds of basically supercomputers running with a 10 Gigabit connection using a compression algorithm that took 10 years to develop and is far superior in every aspect to what steve perlman referred to as "conventionally streaming methods" in netflix and the such. Onlive has the ability to stream 4K resolution with full uncompromised audio in less than 80 miliseconds of latency.

Ive been using OnLive on my mac since it was in beta and although some connection issues causing inconsistent resolution existed it has come a long way! Ive been using Onlives playable android app on my Galaxy tab 10.1 (which has way higher res than ipad) and playing Assassins Creed revelations running over Verizons 4G LTE and the results are freakin amazing! It literally runs smoother and more fluid than my xbox 360 with virtually no loading times and full amazing graphics and completely controllable with their universal controller (which works and looks identical to an xbox controller) when Im in a hotel with no xbox, no way to hook up to a tv and i swear the experience is nicer than my xbox when Im using it on my ipad. Of course once I move to 3G or have a slow wifi connection graphical issues do occur.

Anyways if it can handle hardcore console gaming that impressively on a tablet theres no doubt the amazingness it holds for running windows on the ipad.
    OnLive launches desktop app, streams start menus to your iPad, we go hands on (video) -- Engadget
    Watch the video in that link. Its an actual demo of Steve showing it off and it just looks incredible! Look how fast everything just instantly loads. Word and powerpoint take at least 30 seconds to a minute to load on my 2ghz dual core iMac but it opens instantly in less than a second. Same with the video he played in the video link and that loaded instantly with HD resolution, NO lag at all and full audio.
    Not to mention theres native windows touch gestures that work like crap in VNC apps like logmein or even splashtop.
    When its running using OnLives streaming compression algorithm with their huge millions of dollar data centers its gonna create a million times greater experience than some developers VNC connection.

As amazing a productivity tool it is Im probably gonna find myself paying the $10 a month so I can download my own apps and do things like playing COD, Halo, and skyrim on my ipad because those games will never come to onlive gaming with microsoft in the way. The flash browser that will run flash fastert than the fastest computer with sites like Hulu sure will be nice too.

If you still have doubts then wait till thursday and try it for yourself because the basic version with access to office will be free.
    I use Splashtop on a regular basis to access my computer (Lenova Laptop 2.2 Ghz dual core w/2 Gb of RAM) and it works great. I actually almost never use my laptop now since I can just remote into it either at home or when I am away. I have a wifi only iPad 2 but I use my iphone and tether them and can connect to my computer at home from Connecticut to North Caroline over AT&T 3G with 2-3 bars of service. There is some minor lag but nothing that can't deal with. Now watching a movie might be an issue but accessing my computer at home to download something like a movie or a TV show through itunes or do some work in MS Word works just fine. At home streaming a movie or TV show to the iPad over my wifi works pretty well. The nice thing with Spashtop is that you can hear the audio through the iPad. I have never used the Logmein app though. Been looking for a good app to use to remote into my computer but I keep coming back to Spashtop because of the simplicity of it.

Word, Excel, and Powerpoint load on my laptop (and on the iPad when I remote into it) in less 10 seconds over my home wifi (Apple Airport Extreme router) and a Rocketfish powerline adapter connecting the laptop in my bedroom to the router in my living room. So there might be some minor delay in routing the request from the ipad to the router to the powerline adapter and then to the computer (then back in reverse to the ipad) but it does work very well for my needs.

The laptop is setup as a media streaming hub for my two iPad 2s and my three Apple TV2s. It works excellent for my needs at the moment but I have plans for a faster tower PC with more RAM later on in about a year or two. PC + 47" LED LCD Vizio 240Hz refresh rate, Vizio 2.1 soundbar and wireless subwoofer should work very well for my needs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use splashtop too, works great, dont think I would need this service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nope nothing like logmein.
    with logmein you are connected to your own pc so you are limited by the upload of your broadband line and also your pc will not be optimized for ipad multi touch gestures. Also this runs on the well proven OnLive streaming system, which is awsome.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's basically RDP to a virtual machine. Something you can already do for free.
    Or there's the VMware View App for iPad.

Thanks

Sold, if i can play RTS games well

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post

OnLive launches desktop app, streams start menus to your iPad, we go hands on (video) -- Engadget

thanks for this post.... more informative than the actual article.

Im VERY excited for this. Iv actually been looking for something like this for chrome os... Iv been wanting to switch our small business over to them ever since google announced it, but i would need some kind of virtual windows environment to run the very few but necessary legacy apps we rely on. This looks like it could be the PERFECT solution if they add chrome os support.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Windowman.mwm View Post
    I use splashtop too, works great, dont think I would need this service.
    I also use this so I can stream stuff to iPad.

I don't like people comparing iPad to a laptop, using Excel/Word/etc on a laptop I am not chained to locations that has Wifi/3G. iPad running this feel like I am being chained to locations like a dog. Sure maybe it can run faster than some laptops, but I bet you would barely notice that increase in speed.

I see service like this is to fix the inadequacies of the iPad, nothing more.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Try TeamViewer
    I use TeamViewer. It works on PCs and iOS and it's free for non-commercial use! Works great! Try it. It even has a demo PC to remote into.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I do not see it in the app store?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can't find it