+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3 to Follow iPhone 4S's Footsteps: No Redesign, Just Better Hardware?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
"Why fix what ain't broke'?" The iPad 2 was a great hit - selling millions worldwide and breaking the record from the iPad 1. It featured a complete redesign that
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 3 to Follow iPhone 4S's Footsteps: No Redesign, Just Better Hardware?

"Why fix what ain't broke'?"

The iPad 2 was a great hit - selling millions worldwide and breaking the record from the iPad 1. It featured a complete redesign that was so slim that it made the iPad 1 feel like a MacBook Pro in your hand. Unfortunately, Apple seems to agree that the iPad 2 is a hit and they might not intend to change that design for the iPad 3. Hardware on the other hand; we can expect to see some changes in that spectrum.

We've heard rumor that the iPad 3 is going to have a retina display, because of that the device will be approximately 1MM thicker than the iPad 2 which has a standard resolution display. The retina display would mean that the GPU (graphics processing unit) would need an upgrade too - it's a huge resolution. Because of the iPad 2's curved nature on the rear end, you probably won't notice the thicker profile.

What appears to be flying around in Apple space now is that we will be seeing some major camera upgrades. 9to5Mac sources iLounge's Jeremy Horwtiz who bled out some details that he found from the iPad's manufacturers themselves. In that it appears that the iPad 3 will get the FaceTime HD camera in the front, replacing that VGA-quality camera that you already have and replacing it with the 720p version that we find in our MacBook Pros and other Mac computers. This means that the FaceTime calls you have will look better on that supposed retina display because honestly, VGA quality doesn't hold the best quality and resolution, where 720p does.

We also see that the rear camera could be upgraded from the honestly sad and disgusting one megapixel camera, all the way up to either five or eight megapixels. This would put the iPad up against the iPhone, but I don't personally think that it could ever be as convenient of a point and shoot device simply because of the sheer size of the iPad.

Horwitz finalizes his ideas by stating that the iPad 2 could stick around for just $299-399 while the iPad 3 becomes available at the asking price of the current iPad 2: $499. If this is the case, then it will follow suit with the fact that the iPhone 4 is available as a dumbed-down iPhone instead of buying the new iPhone 4S. If this is the case, will you be buying an iPad 2 or an iPad 3? Share in the comments.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

might just get myself an iPad 3, if those rumors are true though!

Thanks

No way! Have an iPhone 4 and 4s upgrades were not enough IMO , same as I have iPad 2 and camera and better display not enough to cough up $500 more bucks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To be honest I'm extremely happy with my iPad 2. I use it in college to write all my classes and it works really great, also 720p video looks nice in it's screen, audio is just as good, I don't think I need it to be improved at all. I barely ever use it's camera since I prefer to use my iPhone's camera. iPad 2 is still pretty hot.

Thanks

Unfortunately, Apple seems to agree that the iPad 2 is a hit and they might not intend to change that design for the iPad 3.
    What is unfortunate about that?! The iPad 2's design is great. If only the iPhone and iPod Touch had that lovely matte aluminium back . . .

iPad 2 design with a retina display and iPhone quality cameras? Hello my first tablet!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No flash player no ipad for me.
    My iphone is enoughz

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Edit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slmchrist View Post
    No way! Have an iPhone 4 and 4s upgrades were not enough IMO , same as I have iPad 2 and camera and better display not enough to cough up $500 more bucks.
    if i can sell my old device for the same price as the new one, 1-2 weeks before it comes out...(like every gen iphone and ipad 1 i had) then yes...i will buy this new one...
    there are a lot of stupid people out there..

iPhone? More like MyPhone chad daddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you really want a thinner ipad?
    I wouldnt mind if the hardware was way better with ipad 1 design.
    Cameras still ofcourse.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hktvb2001 View Post
    My iphone is enoughz
    Guess you won't be getting any tablets that are released in the future, huh?

I don't see how flash is so important. I've never missed it. Even if I went to a website that requires it there are usually some kind of workaround to getting the content I want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    Guess you won't be getting any tablets that are released in the future, huh?

I don't see how flash is so important. I've never missed it. Even if I went to a website that requires it there are usually some kind of workaround to getting the content I want.
    Especially since most of the time flash is used for advertisement purposes.

iPad 3 sounds great but I would have to see it in action. Right now I would opt for an iPad 2

Thanks

how bout a basic FM tuner?

Thanks

Only issue I have with my iPad 2 is the position of the speaker. Really tough to hear when the iPad is laying on your lap.

Thanks

"If this is the case," then i'm ok with that.

Thanks

Keeping my iPad 2. Too bad, I was looking forward to a new design.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

My iphone is enoughz
    Flash player is going extinct anyway. Soon the web will be html5 and thise android tablets will have nothing to brag about.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Ive been holding out for the 3 for a long time. It's taking a lot for me not to get a 2 right now, but faster and retina display does it for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone qbnucca's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an iPad 2 and could care less about retina display or camera upgrades. So the new version to me is a waste of money if you can get an iPad two at a lower cost.

My iphone is enoughz
    ISwifter skyfire flash on my ipad

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am very happy with my iPad 2, I just got it recently but still even if I didn't I would need something more than resolution and camera to upgrade. Someone mentioned basic fm tuner, that would be a cool feature.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slmchrist View Post
    To each his own. A better screen is practically the only thing that would convince me to buy one. With a better camera, and display, what else is left as far as improvements could go?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings