Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Churches Turn to Apple for Support

Thanks

Default Churches Turn to Apple for Support

As time goes on iOS devices are gaining more and more popularity among consumers while also gaining traction for both businesses and education markets. All of this just seems to be the tip of the iceberg for the iPad and the iPhone, whose popularity extend the reach beyond these core markets and into smaller ones like religion as well. According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, an increasing number of church and synagogue leaders are using custom iOS apps as part of their outreach.

Turns out churches are tapping talented congregation members or companies like ROAR to develop apps that will allow them to stay connected to their members. These apps have a variety of different uses, such as parents using an app to track their child’s progress in Sunday school, members listening to sermons when they are unable to attend a service, or connect with other members in a virtual prayer room. It also appears to be a way for churches to reach out to teenagers, which are considered a group that is likely to drop their faith as soon as they step foot outside of their home.

It isn’t just evangelical and Protestant churches that seem to be embracing technology with the use of the iPad and iPhone- rabbis such as Dan Cohen of the Sharey Tefilo-Israel in New Jersey are also using the iPad in their services and developing apps for members of their synagogue. All of the religious leaders are approaching the idea with caution as they want to use the technology to help people embrace their faith instead of turning them away from it.

Have any of you people out there who are religious ever seen iPads or iPhones in use at your place of worship? If so, what do you think of the whole idea? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 12-31-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Actually, I use my iPad a lot for church. I use an app called Songbook Chordpro for Praise & Worship, and I use Multiguestures with Pages and my Bible app to take notes and follow along with my Pastor. Other apps that i have found useful are the
    Dictionary.com app
    iMessage for keeping in contact with my pastor in case something needs to be done during service discreetly
    Dropbox for keeping files up to date within our iPads and Computer.
    Facebook to keep our page up to date with all of our latest events
    and Remote for those Praise and Worship Practice sessions when we are learning songs.
    Yea that's just for church, imagine for my personal use lol

Ive noticed many more at our church who have moved away from a traditional bible to bible apps on iPhone, iPad or some other less useable idevice. Not only that but a worship leader friend uses it to lead worship and our past preaches off an ipad2 too. He is a huge apple guy and the sole reason I have a iPhone and it's jailbroke

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My iPad defiantly makes it so much easier for me to read the Bible and it helps me keep up with the teaching at church. Plus their are a bunch of reading plans for the Bible app, my church has their own app called 'Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale' which is so tight! Defiantly recommend it

Perhaps you meant "definitely" instead of "defiantly".

I think more and more churches are developing apps. I know a few that post the audio of the service for those that missed or couldn't make it.

I started using my iPad 2 for church. People look at me funny when I'm typing notes, but I feel it's better. Just think about this, as long as GOD has been around he knows how to move with the times. So if technology gets even better and no one uses the traditional bible GOD will be there to move with the times.

I think it's a good thing that people use their iPads.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

As a pastor, and long-time iPhone and iPad user, I have made extensive use of both in my ministry. It would be difficult to list in a post like this all the ways in which these items are essential "tools of my trade." One difficulty is in overcoming some of my parishioners' thoughts that all I am doing is being a "techie" and playing with my toys. But, my iPhone and my iPad have changed the way in which I minister dramatically, and improved it significantly. For starters, the first iPad was released the day before Easter - and I preached from it the next day on that Easter morning. I have used it, and my iPad2 now, ever since for every sermon for church, for weddings, and for funerals. When I travel to speak in conferences, instead of lugging around huge. bulky manuals, I simply carry the iPad2, and teach from it. With various Bible apps, I can fully prepare on my iPhone/iPad from anywhere. My entire congregation can follow read my notes as I preach via YouVersion's app and our Live Event in it. I could go on and on with the ways I use these items...

Can you guys redder some bible apps? I only use YOU VERSION which is just the Bible itself with all the current version ad different languages.

I really, really like the Blue Letter Bible app. All kinds of interface customizability, versions, commentaries, etc. And, best of all, it's free. Check it out. I also use the Strong's Concordance app (great tool to use DURING a study) and the Matthew Henry Commentary for studying. Here's the links for those:

App Store - Blue Letter Bible

App Store - Strong's KJV 2010

App Store - Matthew Henry Commentary

I love using my iPhone for preparing Bible Studies, and for following along during services, but I still keep a real paper bible with me to highlight in and take notes in. Taking notes on the iphone in real time is far from ideal. I'd like to get an iPad for that. : )

My iPad defiantly makes it so much easier for me to read the Bible and it helps me teach the children. Lately I found a new app " Little Ace and ten commandements". I really recommend it. It really helps to teach for the children the basics of the life and it is very beautiful and funny also