+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Patent Confirms Apple's Interest in iDevice Face Recognition Technology

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
For well over two years, one of the most persistent rumors in mobile technology was that Apple was pioneering a new form of facial recognition technology that would be implemented
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Patent Confirms Apple's Interest in iDevice Face Recognition Technology

For well over two years, one of the most persistent rumors in mobile technology was that Apple was pioneering a new form of facial recognition technology that would be implemented in one or more of its popular iDevices.

To date, Apple has released no such features in the latest generation iPhones and iPads. But that doesn't mean Apple won't. And there's evince at the US Patent and Trademark Office to confirm the company's prospective plans.

Apple's recently discovered patent application called "Low Threshold Face Recognition" explicitly outlines how a low-computation solution could be deployed for the purpose of quickly and easily recognizing a user via an iPad or iPhone's front-facing camera.

The patent, which was discovered by our friends at Apple Insider, reveals that Apple's proposed technology doesn't "aggressively analyze" a user's face. Instead, the proposed technology capitalizes on a "high information portion" of a human face. In a nutshell, the software would be able to gauge the measurement of distance between ones eyes, mouth, nose, etc. to identify the user.

If the technology works as it's described, it would be able to measure the data captured in real-time against the reference image stored on the device to promptly determine if the iPad or iPhone owner is the individual presently accessing the device.

To learn more about the patent in question, click here.

Source: Apple Insider

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For well over two years, one of the most persistent rumors in mobile technology was that Apple was pioneering a new form of facial recognition technology that would be implemented in one or more of its popular iDevices.
    Really?!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And there's evince at the US Patent and Trademark Office
    * evidence

And there's evince at the US Patent and Trademark Office to confirm the company's prospective plans.
    * evidence

Thanks

so unlike apple to copy a feature that android already has..

Green Apple
    Thanks

why Apple doesn´t copy this from ICS android is ready.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not sure about facial recognition, can it not be fooled simply by finding a picture of the owner to the phone and holding it upto the camera?
    Still if it were implemented as a background security feature, perhaps it would be a huge advantage on signaling when your phone was stolen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powello18 View Post
    Not sure about facial recognition, can it not be fooled simply by finding a picture of the owner to the phone and holding it upto the camera?
    Still if it were implemented as a background security feature, perhaps it would be a huge advantage on signaling when your phone was stolen
    I forgot every mugger/thief takes your photo when bilking your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I forgot every mugger/thief takes your photo when bilking your stuff!
    When nicking you stuff! Oops

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akafred View Post
    which android has face recognition?

Thanks

This patent is for a better way to implement it. And computers had face recognition before Android.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    which android has face recognition?
    It's a feature in 4.0, and is currently on the Galaxy Nexus. Heck, it's even on the commercials for the phone currently.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'd they patented this, it's clearly a different technology that will actually work- unlike the ICS one that failed during the Galaxy Nexus presentation. Apple doesn't care about being first.. They care about being the best. Thus annoying closed but extremely stable IOS platform.

Banned
    Thanks

pioneering? even though Microsoft and Google have had this for while now. and in Google's case, they're actually using it now.

Thanks

looks to work good in other reviews, also its supposed to show the pin, or pattern unlock if it doesn't recognize the face. i am guessing that they didn't set it up right.

if i were a apple fanboi i would agree that everything else is garbage. but alas i am not that closed minded..

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    I'd they patented this, it's clearly a different technology that will actually work- unlike the ICS one that failed during the Galaxy Nexus presentation. Apple doesn't care about being first.. They care about being the best. Thus annoying closed but extremely stable IOS platform.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    clearly a different technology....yawn, fan boy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    * evidence

* evidence

. Very misused word in some cases, but in this case it's a correct verb to express "show presence".

Messany writes on a slightly higher level than the 9th grade (which some state is the "standard" news article/comp level of most). Which is, in my opinion a good thing that some writers step outside the common vocab...... Helps broaden the vocabulary. :-)

If the nexus is what your referring to than I say why would any company copy a fail. I tried it and it don't work well. Plus this patent takes it another level. Besides this was first used in a James bond film. So..... Lol.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 12-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    . Very misused word in some cases, but in this case it's a correct verb to express "show presence".

Messany writes on a slightly higher level than the 9th grade (which some state is the "standard" news article/comp level of most). Which is, in my opinion a good thing that some writers step outside the common vocab...... Helps broaden the vocabulary. :-)
    He used it as a noun though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Screen Recognition Software
    Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    Really?!

OH GREAT! Now my twin brother can steal and use my iphone !

Just Kidding....but it's a thought!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Creepy in my opinion. Just another way for Big Brother to keep an eye on us when we least expect it. If they put this in the new iPhone I will never purchase it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred4430 View Post
    Creepy in my opinion. Just another way for Big Brother to keep an eye on us when we least expect it. If they put this in the new iPhone I will never purchase it.
    How do you know they're not already utilizing the front-facing camera for sinister purposes?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

CRAPple gonna need a better front faceing camera for this???