Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Double Battery Capacity in Next iPad

Default Apple to Double Battery Capacity in Next iPad

Apple to bring more power to the next iPad's battery?

The iPad 2 has an astounding battery that can last up to a month in standby mode. That's all while maintaining the sub-processes that happen when the iPad 2 is sleeping such as pulling in push notifications and powering the hardware to make that possible. A one-month standby battery was also introduced in the new MacBook Air because it was a great feature. Just when we thought that battery life was getting good, industries surprise us with numbers that double the battery capacity of the current iPad 2 with the next iPad.

The current iPad 2 has a battery capacity of about 6,500mAH whereas we are expecting a a capacity of about 14,000mAH in the upcoming iPad battery. It's just slightly over double what we have now. The two producers of Apple's lithium-ion batteries are Simplo Technology and Dynapack - both of which wouldn't comment on the matter.

We have heard rumor that Apple is getting ready to ship retina displays in their new iPad lineup. If this is the case then the hardware will need to be accelerated to handle that graphical power and additionally, the screen will consume more power. This battery upgrade seems to follow suit with that because it should help make the high-powered retina display iPad reach the same (or maybe better) battery life as the iPad 2 that we have currently.

With battery life being one of the largest demands for mobile devices, this seems like a viable move for Apple - but if they're looking to increase the power of the iPad's hardware then it will definitely need the power boost. Whichever way you want to look at it, it simply makes sense that Apple would step up the game in their batteries to make their already award winning devices even more enviable. We could even see these more powerful batteries getting introduced into the next generation iPhones.

Is a better battery something that you want in your next iPad? Share in the comments.

Sources Digitimes

I got the ipad 2 battery life is good I play games and search the net and no complains , but more battery life is always a good thing
    pain & time and glory

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

If they keep doubling the battery life, eventually we will have batteries that last longer than our life span...
    Yay for progress!

I am looking forward to the iPad 3, mostly for the retina display. I hope that I am not disappointed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I want a new iPod touch from apple..

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they've enhanced the battery technology itself rather than just using a larger battery. As welcome as that would be for the iPad, it'd be even more of a welcomed change for iPhone.

@@ they already have a MONTH Standby for iPad 2....... iPad 3 ?

Ad: The battery could last until the next iPad unveils ^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully the larger battery will in fact be for the retina display, it's long over due. Recently I picked up a blackberry playbook and the resolution on that thing is unbelievable.

Thanks

I hope they do the same for the next iphone/ipod

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    If they keep doubling the battery life, eventually we will have batteries that last longer than our life span...
    Yay for progress!

I am looking forward to the iPad 3, mostly for the retina display. I hope that I am not disappointed.

Well, I think in about 20 years, they will have batteries that last 70 years at this rate. Progress FTW!

Batteries that run on the energy given off by nuclear decay run for 12 years without a charge.....

Problem with bigger battery:
    Weight - Obviously it will be almost twice as heavy as iPad 2's battery
    Size - Maybe iPad 3 will be thicker?
    Charge time - will take more time to charge then usage time

We really need new battery tech. Li-ion Li-Poly is just so last generation.

Thanks

Think about how this news could apply to a 4G LTE iPhone...

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Aren't they doubling it because their going to add a 4G LTE modem in it?

4G is a huge battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Problem with bigger battery:
    Weight - Obviously it will be almost twice as heavy as iPad 2's battery
    Size - Maybe iPad 3 will be thicker?
    Charge time - will take more time to charge then usage time

We really need new battery tech. Li-ion Li-Poly is just so last generation.

That's assuming they made no improvement to the energy density of the batteries.