+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Claims Apple Pressuring Manufacturing Partners to Meet February iPad 3 Release

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Report Claims Apple Pressuring Manufacturing Partners to Meet February iPad 3 Release

A FocusTaiwan report claims Apple is pressuring its manufacturing partners to meet a February 24th iPad 3 release deadline. This also happens to be Steve Jobs' Birthday.

According to the report, a local chinese-language newspaper reported “the iPad 3 might be launched on Feb. 24 to mark the anniversary of the birth of Apple’s late co-founder Steve Jobs.” The report also cites Taiwanese supply makers in Apple’s iPad 3 supply chain who claim Apple is pushing for a mid-first quarter launch of the iPad 3.

Those familiar with Chinese manufacturers and international supply chain logistics understand how much of a kink the Chinese New Year can throw into production plans. The Lunar New Year, which falls on January 23 this year, results in a massive amount of workers receiving a rather large chunk of time off delaying component manufacturing and choking supply levels during the first quarter of the year. Most companies plan accordingly to avoid shortages. Apple’s plans reportedly involve forcing component suppliers and manufacturers like Foxconn to greatly limit the time off their employees receive during the holiday.

An iPad 3 release on Jobs Birthday would be a nice gesture, but the likelihood of it happening is another beast. Apple will likely announce the iPad 3 at their WWDC in early January with a release date sometime later in the quarter.

Source: FocusTaiwan [via MacRumors]

Thanks

I could actually see Apple trying to make this happen especially with it being Steve's B-day. Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Thanks

WWDC is in June. MacWorld is a January thing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be really cool, just because it's Steve's bday. But don't these Foxconn employees already kill themselves all the time? I don't think think this would help...
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Good luck.

Thanks

And every company apply pressure to their suppliers other wise the goods would never turn up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    And every company apply pressure to their suppliers other wise the goods would never turn up!
    There's pressure, and then there's "pressure."

"Pressure" is your child has been kidnapped, and they get a bullet in the noggin unless you come up with ten million iPads by February fifteenth. Or, in a more... dare I say, realistic, sense, Foxconn and Co. will get a very fat bonus (let's say five million yuan or approximately seven hundred ninety thousand USD) for having ten million iPads ready on the fifteenth (for a ship date of the twenty-fourth). If they don't have it, they lose the extra business plus an agreed-upon penalty of five percent off the per-unit assembly/component price for ten million units. Imagine a similar agreement with every other contractor that provides a part for the iPad.

That'd get some iPads rolling out of the factory, I tell you what.

I get the feeling that Apple isn't aiming for February though for a product launch... I could see a February 24th announcement for a mid-March launch, vis à vis the iPad 2. Personally, I think we'll see the next iPad in April, closer to the original launch (and six months following the iPhone launch--all the better to space out the products).
    Last edited by Orby; 12-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    WWDC is in June. MacWorld is a January thing.
    actually, it's called iWorld now

or is it AppleWorld..I just know it changed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    This would be really cool, just because it's Steve's bday. But don't these Foxconn employees already kill themselves all the time? I don't think think this would help...
    FLIck those Foxconn workers -- they're lucky they have a job. Why did Apple outsource to asiapac if they can't work them into the ground? America needs its iPad 3s, you little corksuckers. That's what you are getting paid a bowl of rice an hour for.

Sincerely,
    Ignorant American Consumers and
    Their Corporate Masters